• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Bubble?

"Cross Harbor Capital and Lone Mountain Land Co. have shown a great commitment to being a long-term academic partner with MSU and to helping the university achieve its goals for the hospitality management and culinary arts programs, according to Terry Leist, MSU vice president of administration and finance. He said Cross Harbor Capital/Lone Mountain Land Co. was one of four entities to submit a proposal for the project."

Cross Harbor is the Boston private equity firm controlled by Sam Byrne. Long Mountain is its real estate company at Big Sky. I believe Cross Harbor owns the Yellowstone Club, Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks, and also owns much of the debt of Big Sky/Boyne.
Cross Harbor/Lone Mountain bought the Big Sky Town Center land and assets in 2022. That's the flat land across the road from the golf course in the Meadow Village.

Cross Harbor/Lone Mountain owns and runs the Wilson Hotel in the Town Center. The Wilson is a Marriott hotel. The Griz stayed there before the 2022 game.

"BIG SKY – Local developer Lone Mountain Land Company acquired the remaining undeveloped residential and commercial land in the Town Center in a deal that closed Tuesday. The original developers of Town Center, the Simkins family, sold the approximately 500 acres and applicable development rights and with it their remaining interests in Town Center.

LMLC, a local development arm of Boston-based investment firm CrossHarbor Capital Partners, plans to “move slowly on building things out,” according to LMLC and CrossHarbor Managing Director Matt Kidd. While LMLC envisions a mix of residential, commercial, hospitality and other development, Kidd said nothing specific is planned at this stage and no further building will occur in 2022.

The Simkins family purchased the land for Town Center in 1970 and began acquiring development rights in the ‘80s. By the early 2000s, development had begun to rise from what was once little more to the eye than a vast sagebrush field. Today, the development includes more than 250 residential units, according to an LMLC statement, and many commercial units including a host of restaurants, bars, music venues, retailers, grocery stores and a hotel. It’s home to the hospital, the new community center, Len Hill Park, the movie theater and a network of trails along with several other community staples."

My uncle Bob and aunt Jean made a darn good purchase in 1970, I would say.

There will still be a lot of rooms at market rate. The people behind building own the Yellowstone Club. Money is not an object. It is a cooperative effort with MSU. They will make their money plus MSU gets some good benefits.
I don’t even want to THINK about the creep factor of the msu artist rendition of a planned hotel! I mean that guy hit 100 on the creep meter with drawings of locker rooms and even something as benign as a track. Imagine what his hotel renderings would look like.

I haven't quite looked at all the posts here, but if you are familiar at all with Bozo, the State Practice facility will look a lot like the Lone Mountain Gymnastic Facility, but bigger.

LMG-1024x592.jpg

They do have to shave off a corner of the poop pond to fit it where they want and move some of the outdoor track throwing areas. It will be nice. I'm jealous of the indoor track. I hope UM plans to expand/add that in the future. They need it.

"Cross Harbor Capital and Lone Mountain Land Co. have shown a great commitment to being a long-term academic partner with MSU and to helping the university achieve its goals for the hospitality management and culinary arts programs, according to Terry Leist, MSU vice president of administration and finance. He said Cross Harbor Capital/Lone Mountain Land Co. was one of four entities to submit a proposal for the project."

Cross Harbor is the Boston private equity firm controlled by Sam Byrne. Long Mountain is its real estate company at Big Sky. I believe Cross Harbor owns the Yellowstone Club, Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks, and also owns much of the debt of Big Sky/Boyne.
Cross Harbor/Lone Mountain bought the Big Sky Town Center land and assets in 2022. That's the flat land across the road from the golf course in the Meadow Village.

Cross Harbor/Lone Mountain owns and runs the Wilson Hotel in the Town Center. The Wilson is a Marriott hotel. The Griz stayed there before the 2022 game.

"BIG SKY – Local developer Lone Mountain Land Company acquired the remaining undeveloped residential and commercial land in the Town Center in a deal that closed Tuesday. The original developers of Town Center, the Simkins family, sold the approximately 500 acres and applicable development rights and with it their remaining interests in Town Center.

LMLC, a local development arm of Boston-based investment firm CrossHarbor Capital Partners, plans to “move slowly on building things out,” according to LMLC and CrossHarbor Managing Director Matt Kidd. While LMLC envisions a mix of residential, commercial, hospitality and other development, Kidd said nothing specific is planned at this stage and no further building will occur in 2022.

The Simkins family purchased the land for Town Center in 1970 and began acquiring development rights in the ‘80s. By the early 2000s, development had begun to rise from what was once little more to the eye than a vast sagebrush field. Today, the development includes more than 250 residential units, according to an LMLC statement, and many commercial units including a host of restaurants, bars, music venues, retailers, grocery stores and a hotel. It’s home to the hospital, the new community center, Len Hill Park, the movie theater and a network of trails along with several other community staples."

You are right, the Simpkins family made a ton of money. They were smart to start buying up that land years ago at a song. In any event, MSU is getting a good deal with this hotel venture. Cross Harbor is a very successful company and would not be building the hotel at MSU unless they were sure it would make money.

You are right, the Simpkins family made a ton of money. They were smart to start buying up that land years ago at a song. In any event, MSU is getting a good deal with this hotel venture. Cross Harbor is a very successful company and would not be building the hotel at MSU unless they were sure it would make money.
Having a lumberyard in Bozeman since the late 40's has been a good business too. I have a lot of older Cat player friends who still remember how hard they had toward to carry sheetrock into sites in the summers.

Having a lumberyard in Bozeman since the late 40's has been a good business too. I have a lot of older Cat player friends who still remember how hard they had toward to carry sheetrock into sites in the summers.

Yes and the lumberyard seems to be busier than ever. They are good bobcat supporters.

my uncle ed neighed to me that "no further building will occur in 2022". what a relief! i was a little bit worried egriz was living in the past...

So just to give you guys an update, I was in Missoula today and drove by. I was going to take some pictures for you to update on progress. But I didn't think you needed pictures of piles of gravel. But maybe that's the parking lot gravel? Looks like they have curbs and lights for the parking lot?

So just to give you guys an update, I was in Missoula today and drove by. I was going to take some pictures for you to update on progress. But I didn't think you needed pictures of piles of gravel.
So, what you're saying is that they're building on UM's campus while still attempting to fund-raise at MsDui.

Hey, REALLY appreciate the update!

Any idea what the eta on this is? This was billed as a quicker, cheaper solution than a stand alone building. The quicker part has definitely not been the case.

Any idea what the eta on this is? This was billed as a quicker, cheaper solution than a stand alone building. The quicker part has definitely not been the case.
I do not know. I think there have been some delays due to construction and bubble (I think, not for certain) and then waiting for ground thaw to happen. I think the basic idea is that it will be a bubble, but then because of how it is being built (which is what maybe lead to some of the earlier delays as well), it can be converted to a full building instead of just being a bubble.

That looks larger than I had initially thought it would be. Whether or not we get a more permanent building structure after the bubble, I'm just happy we're getting any type of indoor practice facility. And the bubble will be nice too.

At this rate, it "might" be ready by the playoff run of 2026.

That looks larger than I had initially thought it would be. Whether or not we get a more permanent building structure after the bubble, I'm just happy we're getting any type of indoor practice facility. And the bubble will be nice too.
It takes up a pretty large footprint. For spatial reference, the picture was taken from 5th and Maurice. Area takes up from there, all the way to the parking lot near the footbridge across from the new museum building. All that area that was grass practice fields will now be for the new bubble facility.

It takes up a pretty large footprint. For spatial reference, the picture was taken from 5th and Maurice. Area takes up from there, all the way to the parking lot near the footbridge across from the new museum building. All that area that was grass practice fields will now be for the new bubble facility.
They are currently laying massive stretches of asphalt on the site.

Back