• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New NCAA eligibility rule

mtgrizfankb said:
So we play freshman for the first 2-3 games. See if they are impact players. If not then we stick a RS on them or wait to see if we have injury issues

I see this being used to provide depth at the end of the year more than to test things out in the beginning of the season.

I would imagine it would be a cool reward for players who have practiced hard all year long, come playoff time if you've been working your @ss off could earn some playing time as well.

Good rule for the players, for once the NCAA does something half intelligent

So I didn’t notice it specifically, but surely it’s now OK to “Daddy Brandom” and stalk players via social media & see hat we can do to flip commits & convince potential quitters to come to Montana, right? :lol:

I as also hoping they would relax the hot dog rules too. Baby steps.

So, I guess the coaches can select the 4 games. If we have an exceptional freshman, and would like him to compete against the 4 toughest opponents, then subsequently Red Shirt??? What about playoffs??

Yukon said:
Ok, coaches. Start a National search for good players to steal.

This quote is from Scott Frost of Nebraska, before the rule changes. Watch out FCS, and Missouri Valley.

"If kids are able to transfer without penalty, I wouldn’t put it past a lot of schools to have agents and recruiters on other schools’ campuses recruiting their players. I think that could get really messy. Just speaking personally, if there’s a good player in the Midwest at a good program like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, and they have an All-American player and the kid can transfer without penalty, we’d certainly do our best to make them a Nebraska Cornhusker. I’d hate to have coaches from Alabama or USC or whoever it was, and not to pick those schools, on our campus trying to convince kids to come finish there. I think those things could lead to a lot of messes.”

Whatever happened to the days of playing for your team and teammates, and working to improve and win championships? And having a lot of fun along the way. I know life and sport have changed and evolved, but I don't like the playing for oneself, and not the team. It detracts from what I believe sports are, or were, and should be.

If the one-way sit out rule to move up or move across ever changes, that will have a huge impact.

Griz#64 said:
So, I guess the coaches can select the 4 games. If we have an exceptional freshman, and would like him to compete against the 4 toughest opponents, then subsequently Red Shirt??? What about playoffs??
I wondered about that too. Near as I can tell, it means "four games," period ... with one exception. Here's the key quote from one of many hits:
The council specified that the redshirt rule change, which will allows students to preserve a season of eligibility if subject to an unforeseen circumstance such as an injury, does not apply to players who participate in postseason play before or during their first term at their respective University.
Other items word it slightly different, so I'm not totally sure how the exception will be interpreted. But here's my take: A true freshmen, or a new transfer, who plays in a post-season game (bowl or FCS playoff) burns that year of eligibility ... even it's the only game he plays in all year. A redshirt freshman should be able to take advantage of the new rule, like playing in three regular-season games and a bowl. At the FCS level, I suppose a player could be "activated" for the playoffs and be okay (no eligibility lost) even if he played in all four games up to the NC.

PlayerRep said:
Yukon said:
Ok, coaches. Start a National search for good players to steal.

This quote is from Scott Frost of Nebraska, before the rule changes. Watch out FCS, and Missouri Valley.

"If kids are able to transfer without penalty, I wouldn’t put it past a lot of schools to have agents and recruiters on other schools’ campuses recruiting their players. I think that could get really messy. Just speaking personally, if there’s a good player in the Midwest at a good program like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, and they have an All-American player and the kid can transfer without penalty, we’d certainly do our best to make them a Nebraska Cornhusker. I’d hate to have coaches from Alabama or USC or whoever it was, and not to pick those schools, on our campus trying to convince kids to come finish there. I think those things could lead to a lot of messes.”

Whatever happened to the days of playing for your team and teammates, and working to improve and win championships? And having a lot of fun along the way. I know life and sport have changed and evolved, but I don't like the playing for oneself, and not the team. It detracts from what I believe sports are, or were, and should be.

If the one-way sit out rule to move up or move across ever changes, that will have a huge impact.
NCAA football players now have free agency. One of the reasons I hate the NFL. No loyalty anymore.

Wonder how the 4-game redshirt rule will fit with limitations on players being suited up, in conference and non-conference, and numbers of players being taken on the road? Assume it won't work to suit up a bunch of redshirting guys for a bunch of games. Will non-redshirting players get bumped from some games, for redshirts? Will suit-up rules get changed and increased?

Yukon said:
NCAA football players now have free agency. One of the reasons I hate the NFL. No loyalty anymore.
That one is way down the list of reasons why I hate the NFL.

Our local news rag reprinted an article about how the new redshirt rule might be used by the Boise State Broncos. Luckily, it’s also been posted online:
https://www.idahopress.com/blueturf...cle_050131c8-f022-5fd5-acbf-3d8fe3948a77.html

What I find interesting is how the coaches seemed most interested in the ability to have live game “try-outs.” Some key quotes:
B. J. Rains said:
Wide receivers coach Eric Kiesau brings in five newcomers this year to his group, while running backs coach Lee Marks has two talented incoming freshmen.

Previously, Kiesau and the Broncos would have had to decide during fall camp which 2-3 would play and which would redshirt. Marks would have likely decided on one of the two freshmen to play, and one to redshirt.

Not anymore.

[Coach quote about motivation]: “Every week a kid, no matter what, especially if he starts out redshirting, it could be a Thursday and ‘hey, you’re playing this week.’ All of them will stay fully locked in and ready to go because they know that they need to actually know what’s going on in the game plan.”

Different teams figure to use the rule in different ways this fall. Some might save a freshman for later in the season, while some will see what they have right away. Others might play them in four games sporadically throughout the year.
Of course, this has all been discussed here on eGriz, but it’s interesting to hear how one coaching staff is starting to deal with the rule actually being in place.

(Wonder what the “unintended consequences” will be. There’s always unintended consequences ;) .)

Would be funny to see the rule get twisted.

A recruit is good enough to play as a true freshman. Never gets injured badly to miss any time. Plays all four years. Still has four games left...

DuCharme said:
Would be funny to see the rule get twisted.

A recruit is good enough to play as a true freshman. Never gets injured badly to miss any time. Plays all four years. Still has four games left...

Good point.

Back