• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

One of the Best Blog Writings on Griz

A team might not be at its peak after 3 years due to change over.....but there should be significant improvement each year until they reach that peak.
That's is because as a coach gets more of "his guys" and installed "his offense, defense" and overall team things it should work better and better. So I agree it isn't fire Bobby in 3 years IF WE SEE the movement toward what we want out of the program. Does that mean a National Championship in year 3 or bust? hell no.....but it sure shouldn't be losing games like how they did the last two in year 3. Stitt might have deserved another year....but was there the growth from year 1 to 2 to 3? Actually his best year was year 1, that is not going to sit well.

uofmman1122 said:
ordigger said:
Continuity is great, but let’s quit going from pro style to spread to old school to fly sweep spread to whatever it is now
So we just continue the cycle of booting coaches after 3 years no matter what because we made a mistake not giving one guy enough time?

That just sounds spiteful and reckless, even though I totally agree that Stitt got a raw deal.
The mistake in not giving a coach enough time was with Pflugrad, not Stitt. Stitt earned his raw deal, Robin didn't.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
ordigger said:
Continuity is great, but let’s quit going from pro style to spread to old school to fly sweep spread to whatever it is now
So we just continue the cycle of booting coaches after 3 years no matter what because we made a mistake not giving one guy enough time?

That just sounds spiteful and reckless, even though I totally agree that Stitt got a raw deal.
The mistake in not giving a coach enough time was with Pflugrad, not Stitt. Stitt earned his raw deal, Robin didn't.

I have to completely agree with that

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
ordigger said:

I have to completely agree with that
[/quote :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
ordigger said:

That's a fair point.

I think we got put in a shitty situation because:
  • Stitt hadn't done enough to prove that he deserved to be extended, and there was mounting evidence that he might not be the right guy for the job.
But also:
  • Haslam gave him the latitude in 2015 to "blow up" the program and create his own vision, which was wildly different from anything we'd seen before, which then made firing him after only 3 seasons a potential disaster for our program in the short-term.

So essentially you could say hiring him in the first place was a bad decision, but since we did hire him, firing him after only three years, while letting him radically change the program was just asking for the rebuild to take longer--both of which, fair or unfair, kind of belong to Haslam.

Hence the poor showing this year, and I think Grizfan24's main point.

ordigger said:
Silenoz said:
First thing that comes to mind:

Nebraska

Second thing that comes to mind. No way in hell Frost gets 5 years unless he’s earned it

He won’t need five. Frost is royalty in Nebraska, & his ability to build a program from nothing is still on display in Florida.

5 or 6 years? Kryst... is that CDA? LOL

Kennesaw state decided to start a football program, launched first season in 2015. They went 6-5. Then 8-3 in 2016. Last year they went 12-2 and made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs where they lost to SHSU. Kennesaw Frickin State.

poorgriz said:

Kennesaw state decided to start a football program, launched first season in 2015. They went 6-5. Then 8-3 in 2016. Last year they went 12-2 and made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs where they lost to SHSU. Kennesaw Frickin State.

You do bring up a good point. Sean McVay sure didn’t need much time.....

A couple points that I would add because the Tennessee and Nebraska allusions are spot on.

1. Nebraska and Tennessee are worst case scenarios. I have been a Cornhusker fan since the early 90's when Gilman was TE there. I am not saying in any way that Bobby can't possibly right the ship in one, two or three years. Tennessee was a dumpster fire. The quasi-ironic thing at Nebraska is that Bohl's dismissal signified the beginning of the slide for Nebraska. Bohl's arrival at NDSU is what allowed them to supplant the UM as the premier FCS power. Small world.

2. I don't think any one person or group is to blame. There isn't a person who got shorted in the deal or should shoulder the largest amount of blame. There is a lot to be thrown around here. The fact is that sooner or later you have to have the patience for a coach to get it right. Something that Nebraska nor Tennessee have ever had. Sometimes you have to cut bait as Nebraska did with Anderson because it was clearly not going to work out.

--
I really appreciate the feedback.
GF24

poorgriz said:

Impressive start to their FCS career for sure but they play in the Big South. Night and day difference in competition.

Hauck will have the Griz playing very well in year 3, and hopefully even next year. He doesn't need 5 years.

Even the current o-line roster will be good in year 3, hopefully year 2 too. I'm still hoping for end of year 1 for more improvement.

Stitt got moved on for multiple reasons, but as someone pointed out, he was improving the program, he was taking in down.

Haslam made a big mistake in hiring Stitt. I still don't know what he was thinking.

I don't agree the program was rudderless for the last 9 years, but I agree that frequent coaching turnover is a recipe for decline.

While I don't think this year's team is a strong team, I am still hoping they are pretty good and improving. I'm hoping the last 2 games were aberrations. A good team usually can't win with 4 or 5 turnovers, let alone a pretty good team.

I didn't think we'd beat UND, but I certainly didn't expect 3 turnovers in the first minutes, and being down 34-0 at halftime.

Bobby likes the team and their attitude and worth ethic. It's now one game at a time. Davis is good, but I still think the Griz can beat them. I thought UM could work beat NAU last year too.

Grizfan-24 said:
A couple points that I would add because the Tennessee and Nebraska allusions are spot on.

1. Nebraska and Tennessee are worst case scenarios. I have been a Cornhusker fan since the early 90's when Gilman was TE there. I am not saying in any way that Bobby can't possibly right the ship in one, two or three years. Tennessee was a dumpster fire. The quasi-ironic thing at Nebraska is that Bohl's dismissal signified the beginning of the slide for Nebraska. Bohl's arrival at NDSU is what allowed them to supplant the UM as the premier FCS power. Small world.

2. I don't think any one person or group is to blame. There isn't a person who got shorted in the deal or should shoulder the largest amount of blame. There is a lot to be thrown around here. The fact is that sooner or later you have to have the patience for a coach to get it right. Something that Nebraska nor Tennessee have ever had. Sometimes you have to cut bait as Nebraska did with Anderson because it was clearly not going to work out.

--
I really appreciate the feedback.
GF24
yeah, hitting the reset button is not the solution.....
JMU coach taking them to NC champs his first year is another (exceptional meaning rare) example
of rallying the troupes in short amount of time as others have mentioned.
Funny thing when observing any action that derives in pretty much a binary outcome lends itself to praise or WTF. So we are continuously giving meaning to what just happened in order to make any sense out of it. in this case, no one has the right answer we all want pretty much the same thing the Griz to
play consistently with a team focus to force the outcome.....so to make our collective comments here lies the common thread to formulate what we want to see as fans watching the game. it all is going to be revealed in micro pieces which will include preparation (all levels), play calling, realtime game decisions, favoritism (only the players know this for sure) which also falls under not playing the best
player that day instead of not, showing improvements over your mistakes or not, you get the point.
all is subjective, arbitrary and at times missing the point, but when is life not like this.
bottom line, go bobby, go griz and embrace the attitude that excuses are just that. not go show em
what you are made of and who we really are....we are still Montana!

ordigger said:
uofmman1122 said:
You can be unhappy about how we're playing now (I am).

You can be unhappy about what seems like hypocrisy by those who decried Stitt last year for the same problems Bobby is having now (I am).

You can think Stitt deserved more time (I did), and that the next thing I'm going to say is unfair (it probably is).

But 24 is spot on. Bobby needs 5+ years because our program needs direction. There are teams since 2010 that have only won 10% of their games that haven't had the turnover we've experienced.

If not, we're probably going to be an average football team for a long, long time.

The logic is flawed, if you didn’t give Stitt five years (after just getting his pieces in place), you dont give Hauck five years. That’s just kissing the ass of the holy grail who can do no wrong. I do believe Hauck will be here in 5 years though, because he EARNED it, not because we have different standards for different coaches.

I like your posts Oredigger and think you keep the board interesting. In this case - there would be more flawed logic with a coaching change prior to five year for the U of M. Frost better be at Nebraska for five or more years - or they are screwed. The difference between NB and Montana is the game changing so much with the Power 5 schools. Nebraska is largely irrelevant from a recruiting standpoint. They may have facilities and a fan base, but they don't have much else. Who in the hell wants to play for Nebraska in NEBRASKA! Kids will take the SEC or PAC 12 all damn day long and then some over Nebraska. Put a fork in that program because it is done. Montana - a little different. The stadium, atmosphere and fan base still matter. Maybe not as much as it used to, but damn it - kids pay attention when visiting the campus, stadium and Champions Center. Bobby has a big advantage over other schools like EWU, Weebs and Ag state. I am confident he will turn the program around, but it will take time. He needs five years and you can say it is hypocrisy, unfair or a fix. I wont argue with you one bit. I will argue with anyone who calls for a coaching change prior to BH's fourth year. The program cannot afford another change in coaches, philosophies, recruiting continuity, etc. Enough is enough.

A great read and I agree wholeheartedly. Copper Griz, well said also. I believe we have the guy to get it done. Stay the course. I expect to see a very good team in year 3.

Copper Griz said:
ordigger said:
uofmman1122 said:
You can be unhappy about how we're playing now (I am).

You can be unhappy about what seems like hypocrisy by those who decried Stitt last year for the same problems Bobby is having now (I am).

You can think Stitt deserved more time (I did), and that the next thing I'm going to say is unfair (it probably is).

But 24 is spot on. Bobby needs 5+ years because our program needs direction. There are teams since 2010 that have only won 10% of their games that haven't had the turnover we've experienced.

If not, we're probably going to be an average football team for a long, long time.

The logic is flawed, if you didn’t give Stitt five years (after just getting his pieces in place), you dont give Hauck five years. That’s just kissing the ass of the holy grail who can do no wrong. I do believe Hauck will be here in 5 years though, because he EARNED it, not because we have different standards for different coaches.

I like your posts Oredigger and think you keep the board interesting. In this case - there would be more flawed logic with a coaching change prior to five year for the U of M. Frost better be at Nebraska for five or more years - or they are screwed. The difference between NB and Montana is the game changing so much with the Power 5 schools. Nebraska is largely irrelevant from a recruiting standpoint. They may have facilities and a fan base, but they don't have much else. Who in the hell wants to play for Nebraska in NEBRASKA! Kids will take the SEC or PAC 12 all damn day long and then some over Nebraska. Put a fork in that program because it is done. Montana - a little different. The stadium, atmosphere and fan base still matter. Maybe not as much as it used to, but damn it - kids pay attention when visiting the campus, stadium and Champions Center. Bobby has a big advantage over other schools like EWU, Weebs and Ag state. I am confident he will turn the program around, but it will take time. He needs five years and you can say it is hypocrisy, unfair or a fix. I wont argue with you one bit. I will argue with anyone who calls for a coaching change prior to BH's fourth year. The program cannot afford another change in coaches, philosophies, recruiting continuity, etc. Enough is enough.

Actually the number 5 makes sense in one way, it means every player on roster is your recruit at that point, from redshirt freshmen to Seniors. I think it’s all irrelevant because I believe we are competing for the Sky again no later than 2020

poorgriz said:

So theoretically it’s easier to start from scratch? :lol:

PlayerRep said:
Hauck will have the Griz playing very well in year 3, and hopefully even next year. He doesn't need 5 years.

Even the current o-line roster will be good in year 3, hopefully year 2 too. I'm still hoping for end of year 1 for more improvement.

Stitt got moved on for multiple reasons, but as someone pointed out, he was improving the program, he was taking in down.

Haslam made a big mistake in hiring Stitt. I still don't know what he was thinking.

I don't agree the program was rudderless for the last 9 years, but I agree that frequent coaching turnover is a recipe for decline.

While I don't think this year's team is a strong team, I am still hoping they are pretty good and improving. I'm hoping the last 2 games were aberrations. A good team usually can't win with 4 or 5 turnovers, let alone a pretty good team.

I didn't think we'd beat UND, but I certainly didn't expect 3 turnovers in the first minutes, and being down 34-0 at halftime.

Bobby likes the team and their attitude and worth ethic. It's now one game at a time. Davis is good, but I still think the Griz can beat them. I thought UM could work beat NAU last year too.

There’s a lot of ‘hoping” in that post. As my boss says frequently, “hope is not a strategy”.

That being said, I actually agree with most of it. :D

poorgriz said:

I mean.. how many startups had instant success? Kennesaw State and Old Dominion? And how many total rebuilds took off right away? It's more of an anomaly than anything.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

There’s a lot of ‘hoping” in that post. As my boss says frequently, “hope is not a strategy”.

That being said, I actually agree with most of it. :D

Does he also suggest that you should “make winning a habit?” That way you’ll know if he actually read both Rick Page sales books. :lol:

Latest posts

Back