• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Playoffs? Playoffs?

uofmman1122 said:
If we win out and somehow JMU slips up, we could rise as high as #2.

Very unlikely, but that’s not something I had in the realm of possibility a few months ago for this team.

I think I'd start to cry with excitement if that happened. Win out, a JMU loss and a #2 seed with home field advantage through the semis?? :shock:

PAGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
I find myself thinking and feelings like Jim Mora here after we’ve missed them for 3 straight seasons:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

But the good news is with securing an 8th win and sitting at 8-2, the Griz are set up to do just that...a trip back to the FCS playoffs!

Pretty damn incredible really. Hauck and staff got things here straightened out pretty quickly and have really made impact in their return. When looking at our schedule before the season started, many of us (including me) felt a 7-5 record would be exceeding expectations. Many others felt the Griz would get to 8,9, or even 10 wins since they were in so many games late the year prior.

Hauck and company brought in key pieces (Knight, Mallory, Humphrey the year prior, Babaros, Pillans, and others. They developed some very young talent who are already contributing and making impact as well. Up against a pretty touch schedule, the Griz are already at 8 wins with 2 left....both being winnable games.

I think Weber will be a challenge but I also wouldn’t want to be playing the Griz if I was another team. They are gonna give their 110% and they are going to give any team a hard, physical battle. This team doesn’t fear anyone and I’m seeing some swagger and some DOLA back. Can’t wait to see what happens in these last 2 games. I’ve watched the Cats play a lot and I’m not too worried about them.

Saw some Facebook conversations where fans thought we still need to win at least 1 of next 2 to be in the playoff field. I disagree, we are in 100% already. The Griz have two highly ranked opponents left. Weber at 3 and Cats will be flirting with Top 10. A loss to Weber would only knock the Griz back a few spots at the most. A loss to Cats (which simply isn’t happening this year) would put Griz around 15th. A Griz team who is around 15th and at 8-4 is not on the outside looking in. They are in. And they are hosting a game with the bidding process.

Show up Saturday and let’s get the stadium rocking. The Griz still have all their goals in front of them....a Big Sky Conf Championship, a State Championship, and a chance to win a National Championship. Go Griz!

Good post but I thing you may be a little ahead of your self but I like where your going.
What we all thought was going to be a juggernaut of a schedule turned out to be a fairly pedestrian schedule with UC davis and EWU being way off the mark this year.
Going in I thought by the time we got through the Davis and EW games we would know exactly what this team was. Its simply not the case.

For me I dont count the outcome of the MSU game as a determining factor. As playerrep likes to say"If you ever played the game" you would know that in big rivalry games you can throw everything out the window, records,stats etc.

They should make the playoffs regardless of the next 2 games because of the extra game and UC Davis and EWU shitting the bed this year. After the way we loss this year to the only "real" team we have faced it all comes down to the Weber game to define how good this team might really be. A win against weber and I am sold. Finish the year 8-4 and 4th place in the conference and this team is no different then the last 4 or 5 years.They have 1 win this year against a current top 25 team and thats Monmouth which doesnt tell us much.

Wow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

get'em_griz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Very unlikely, but that’s not something I had in the realm of possibility a few months ago for this team.

I think I'd start to cry with excitement if that happened. Win out, a JMU loss and a #2 seed with home field advantage through the semis?? :shock:
I unfortunately think the only way this team can do some real damage is by having home field throughout the playoffs.

I'd be okay with #3, though.

We're undefeated against JMU in Harrisonburg. :lol:

uofmman1122 said:
get'em_griz said:
uofmman1122 said:

I unfortunately think the only way this team can do some real damage is by having home field throughout the playoffs.

I'd be okay with #3, though.

We're undefeated against JMU in Harrisonburg. :lol:
The home field is undoubtedly important. I was fortunate to be at Autsen and we played well. I never thought we were out of the game if we made a play. Unfortunately we didn't. Though we didn't win the game the energy was there and we weren't overwhelmed by the big, bad Ducks and I think one play would have shifted the mo in our direction. The other away loss was to Sac. I don't think the performance in that game was reflective of the ability and demeanor of this team. The offense was unproductive and although the defense made a few plays, the consistency wasn't there. Weirdly, I think we could succeed on the road in the playoffs although I would like home field because I want to see them win 1st hand. Go GRIZ

FCS: Top 15 Playoff Power Poll After Week 11

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-favorites-national-title-11-bzbz

"6. MONTANA
Last week's ranking: 7

The Grizzlies have some decent wins. They beat Monmouth, the likely Big South auto-bid by 20 points. And UC Davis, who Montana defeated 45-20, is still not completely out of the playoff hunt. But we're still waiting on that one win that proves to us that this team is nationally legit. That opportunity comes Saturday with Weber State coming to town. The Griz, who are currently 8-1 against the FCS, would still be sitting fine if a loss did happen. The pressure would then be on to defeat rival Montana State on the road to secure a seed. However, a win against Weber followed by knocking off MSU and all of a sudden we're talking about hosting a quarterfinal game. That's two playoff games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. But before we call Montana a semifinal team, two huge games await. I can see a 2-0 finish to the regular season. An 0-2 finish wouldn't shock me either."

Yukon said:
FCS: Top 15 Playoff Power Poll After Week 11

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-favorites-national-title-11-bzbz

"6. MONTANA
Last week's ranking: 7

The Grizzlies have some decent wins. They beat Monmouth, the likely Big South auto-bid by 20 points. And UC Davis, who Montana defeated 45-20, is still not completely out of the playoff hunt. But we're still waiting on that one win that proves to us that this team is nationally legit. That opportunity comes Saturday with Weber State coming to town. The Griz, who are currently 8-1 against the FCS, would still be sitting fine if a loss did happen. The pressure would then be on to defeat rival Montana State on the road to secure a seed. However, a win against Weber followed by knocking off MSU and all of a sudden we're talking about hosting a quarterfinal game. That's two playoff games at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. But before we call Montana a semifinal team, two huge games await. I can see a 2-0 finish to the regular season. An 0-2 finish wouldn't shock me either."

That's a pretty good summary by Hero. Way better than some of their stuff that I find to be out to lunch.

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
MikeyGriz said:
If you were getting season tickets for the tax benefits, you are bad at math. Spend $500 for a $100 deduction?

You can get more tickets with the tax deduction. Try 4 Canyon Club seats for $4,000, of which almost $3,000 was deductible. Save $1200 - $1500 after tax. Net $2500 for $4,000 of tickets. The rices haven't gone down since the tax law change. Still $4,000.

Did you buy the tickets for the tax deduction or to support your team?

I bought the tickets because I wanted them (used to have 6, including 2 inside, which are more expensive), and could justify having 4 because of the significant tax deduction. $2500 out of pocket for 4 tickets costing $4,000 is a good deal. Now, I have only 2 tickets, costing $2,000. Picked up 4 more Canyon Club tickets at a special price for this Saturday. Supporting the team/school was secondary. I guess the way I would say it is that I was able to buy 4 tickets because of the tax deduction.

get'em_griz said:
uofmman1122 said:

IF that happened and NDSU got to the title game we get them on a neutral field. Not saying they don't have avid fans but my guess is there would be more Griz fans there.

PAGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
I find myself thinking and feelings like Jim Mora here after we’ve missed them for 3 straight seasons:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

But the good news is with securing an 8th win and sitting at 8-2, the Griz are set up to do just that...a trip back to the FCS playoffs!

Pretty damn incredible really. Hauck and staff got things here straightened out pretty quickly and have really made impact in their return. When looking at our schedule before the season started, many of us (including me) felt a 7-5 record would be exceeding expectations. Many others felt the Griz would get to 8,9, or even 10 wins since they were in so many games late the year prior.

Hauck and company brought in key pieces (Knight, Mallory, Humphrey the year prior, Babaros, Pillans, and others. They developed some very young talent who are already contributing and making impact as well. Up against a pretty touch schedule, the Griz are already at 8 wins with 2 left....both being winnable games.

I think Weber will be a challenge but I also wouldn’t want to be playing the Griz if I was another team. They are gonna give their 110% and they are going to give any team a hard, physical battle. This team doesn’t fear anyone and I’m seeing some swagger and some DOLA back. Can’t wait to see what happens in these last 2 games. I’ve watched the Cats play a lot and I’m not too worried about them.

Saw some Facebook conversations where fans thought we still need to win at least 1 of next 2 to be in the playoff field. I disagree, we are in 100% already. The Griz have two highly ranked opponents left. Weber at 3 and Cats will be flirting with Top 10. A loss to Weber would only knock the Griz back a few spots at the most. A loss to Cats (which simply isn’t happening this year) would put Griz around 15th. A Griz team who is around 15th and at 8-4 is not on the outside looking in. They are in. And they are hosting a game with the bidding process.

Show up Saturday and let’s get the stadium rocking. The Griz still have all their goals in front of them....a Big Sky Conf Championship, a State Championship, and a chance to win a National Championship. Go Griz!

Good post but I thing you may be a little ahead of your self but I like where your going.
What we all thought was going to be a juggernaut of a schedule turned out to be a fairly pedestrian schedule with UC davis and EWU being way off the mark this year.
Going in I thought by the time we got through the Davis and EW games we would know exactly what this team was. Its simply not the case.

For me I dont count the outcome of the MSU game as a determining factor. As playerrep likes to say"If you ever played the game" you would know that in big rivalry games you can throw everything out the window, records,stats etc.

They should make the playoffs regardless of the next 2 games because of the extra game and UC Davis and EWU shitting the bed this year. After the way we loss this year to the only "real" team we have faced it all comes down to the Weber game to define how good this team might really be. A win against weber and I am sold. Finish the year 8-4 and 4th place in the conference and this team is no different then the last 4 or 5 years.They have 1 win this year against a current top 25 team and thats Monmouth which doesnt tell us much.

Griz are much better this year, than in the past 4 years. Even is they lose the last two. The schedule this year is a tough schedule. I don't agree with your view on the schedule. EWU is 4-2 in conference, with CP on road and PSU at home. They probably end up 6-2 in conference, and 7-5 overall with loss to UW. Davis is 3-3 in conference with games against MSU and at SS. Tough way to end season. If Davis won both, they'd be 7-5 too.

UM has faced multiple real teams this year. I agree that how good UM really is will be determined in the next 2 weeks, but, again, this team is way better than the last 4 years. Making the playoffs is way better than not making the playoffs.

Latest posts

Back