• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Meltdown

mtgrizfankb said:
Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:
So many are dwelling on not kicking the FG, but even if they did, there is no telling how the rest of the game plays out.

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a f*** up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

Were up 4. WIU had not had any movement in the second half at all. a TD at the start of the 4th would be demoralizing. plus if you get stopped they are back in their own goal.sure a FG makes it 7 points. a TD makes it 10. I am willing to bet the OC and DC were both saying...lets go for it! WIU 2nd half possessions before the final TD. 6 plays, 3 plays, 5 plays, 3 plays, 6 plays. I mean we dominated them defensively in the second half. Their TD they only had to go 40 yards. I mean... if they had to go the entire field...slim to no chance. coaching did not lose this game. silly mistakes by a young team did

I hear you, grizfan, I just don't see it that way. On the road, especially with our road woes the last 6 + years, without a power run game, take the points. You can turn that "demoralizing" argument around too. You could argue that by stopping us on 4th down, they walked away with the momentum and the Griz were the demoralized team.

I don't believe it was the reason we lost the game but as Zootown points out, that was a bad play call on the 4th down play. That's on the coaches.

I'm generally not risk averse in those situations and I like going for it on 4th down deep in the opponent's territory but given our recent history of road games and our spread offense that lacks a successful power run game, I just take the points and trust the defense in this scenario.

Didn't see the game, but just an observation. In the UNI and WIU games it seems they both had good defenses and it seems in both of those games Montana was ineffective on offense in the second half. So my question is are we being so predictable that the second half teams figure us out and can limit our offense? Just wondering what others think.

In the UNI game we had zero points in the second half.
In the WIU game we had 9. Actually we had only 9 in the last three quarters.

Back