• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Proposed Group of 5 Playoff

I saw that too. Sounds like the talks are just beginning and we are currently nowhere near a final decision at this moment. That said, if this ends up happening, it's time to go! Time to re-unite ourselves with all our old friends. The article also says that the G5 game would permanently replace bowl games, even better!

Couple random thoughts:

1.) FCS probably needs another renaming/rebranding process as one of the big draw/distinctions between FCS and FBS was one had playoffs and the other had bowls. Now there would be 3 sets of Division 1 playoffs.

2.) Doubt G5 is interested in combining with the FCS playoffs but it could be relatively easy to go from 24 to 32 teams with the FCS format (just eliminate the 8 byes and the schedule is the same). Have all 32 teams seeded so that top teams still get rewarded (1-32, 2-31, and so on). Last year, there were 10 FCS auto-bids (ASUN-WAC, Big Sky, Big South-OVC, CAA, MVFC, NEC, Patriot, Pioneer, SoCon, and the Southland). If they added auto-bids for the G5 conferences (American, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, and the Sun Belt) then there could still be 17 at-large teams.
(Could have a playoff of something like the top 3 from each of G5, MVFC, Big Sky, CAA plus the single auto-bid from other FCS conferences which would leave one leftover at-large).

Couple random thoughts:

1.) FCS probably needs another renaming/rebranding process as one of the big draw/distinctions between FCS and FBS was one had playoffs and the other had bowls. Now there would be 3 sets of Division 1 playoffs.

2.) Doubt G5 is interested in combining with the FCS playoffs but it could be relatively easy to go from 24 to 32 teams with the FCS format (just eliminate the 8 byes and the schedule is the same). Have all 32 teams seeded so that top teams still get rewarded (1-32, 2-31, and so on). Last year, there were 10 FCS auto-bids (ASUN-WAC, Big Sky, Big South-OVC, CAA, MVFC, NEC, Patriot, Pioneer, SoCon, and the Southland). If they added auto-bids for the G5 conferences (American, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, and the Sun Belt) then there could still be 17 at-large teams.
(Could have a playoff of something like the top 3 from each of G5, MVFC, Big Sky, CAA plus the single auto-bid from other FCS conferences which would leave one leftover at-large).
I see no scenario where the MWC or MAC champ (or any other G5 for that matter) is going to willingly go into a playoff with a non-scholly Pioneer league school.

I see no scenario where the MWC or MAC champ (or any other G5 for that matter) is going to willingly go into a playoff with a non-scholly Pioneer league school.
I would hope to see a scenario though where maybe the top 16 G5 and top 8 FCS(no auto bids from FCS except maybe a few chosen cons) can form a playoff. The NCAA has reverted back to the Wild West so I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible. A pipe dream maybe but definitely within the realm of reason.

I would hope to see a scenario though where maybe the top 16 G5 and top 8 FCS(no auto bids from FCS except maybe a few chosen cons) can form a playoff. The NCAA has reverted back to the Wild West so I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible. A pipe dream maybe but definitely within the realm of reason.
I'd love it, but I just cannot see it unless those fcs programs move to the FBS level. Which, as AZ points out, should have been done 10 years ago.

I like the fcs playoffs the way they are now. If the Griz are good, it’s fairly easy to advance. Then the games get tough. Lots of fun and excitement for 3-6 weeks. Not one, or two, and done.

Cus PR must believe we could never compete with the top G5 teams.
And, at this point, the Griz couldn’t.Which of the top 15 would the Griz beat, other than on rare occasion? Historically, the Griz have advanced with 2 wins in hardly any years since the FCS playoffs started. 25%? Certainly not 50%.

Last edited:
Honest question here, I genuinely don't follow enough FBS football to have a clue about teams at the G5 level. Who would be roughly the top 10 if we only looked at G5 teams?

Honest question here, I genuinely don't follow enough FBS football to have a clue about teams at the G5 level. Who would be roughly the top 10 if we only looked at G5 teams?
SMU
Lyberty
Tulane
JMU
Memphis
Troy
Air Force
Toledo
Miami Oh
UTSA

According to last years final AP poll

Add Ohio, Boise St, add NM St from the coaches poll.

And, at this point, the Griz couldn’t.Which of the top 15 would the Griz beat, other than on rare occasion? Historically, the Griz have advanced with 2 wins in hardly any years since the FCS playoffs started. 25%? Certainly not 50%.
For one thing, an upset victory or two would bring a couple more recruits we might not other wise get, which could bring one or two more upsets, which could bring an FBS move up invite.

SMU
Lyberty
Tulane
JMU
Memphis
Troy
Air Force
Toledo
Miami Oh
UTSA

According to last years final AP poll

Add Ohio, Boise St, add NM St from the coaches poll.
Montana's final Sagarin rating was within 2 points of all of those teams, and that's while playing in the bsc against shitty teams. Imagine if we were playing a real conference with real teams.

There's absolutely no reason to think Montana (and the other top fcs programs) couldn't compete at the upper levels of the G5.

According to CBS rankings, this would be a top 25 for the G5.

1/20 Liberty
2/24 SMU
3/26 JMU
4/28 Tulane
5/30 Troy
6/31 Memphis
7/40 Miami Oh
8/42 Toledo
9/43 UNLV
10/44 UTSA
11/46 Air Force
12/49 Boise St