• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Replay of game

dupuyer griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
How the hell was it not grounding the play right before Welnels pick. The refs really were bad last night.

I’m actually going to disagree with this. I wish the big sky refs called games like this. Much more letting them play. Calls not made both ways. Hit out of bounds that all 14 big sky refs would have thrown the flag and then ripped their boxers out of their pants and thrown it too. The big hit over the middle in the 4th would have been flagged for targeting and then we’d have spent 5 minutes on replay to determine it wasn’t targeting but they still got a first down because the hit was just too good.

I would typically agree with you on this matter, but that was such a bad intentional grounding and it would have been a game changing call that late.

Also the blocking below the waist on a defensive player was the first time Ive ever seen that call.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:
I’m actually going to disagree with this. I wish the big sky refs called games like this. Much more letting them play. Calls not made both ways. Hit out of bounds that all 14 big sky refs would have thrown the flag and then ripped their boxers out of their pants and thrown it too. The big hit over the middle in the 4th would have been flagged for targeting and then we’d have spent 5 minutes on replay to determine it wasn’t targeting but they still got a first down because the hit was just too good.

I would typically agree with you on this matter, but that was such a bad intentional grounding and it would have been a game changing call that late.

Also the blocking below the waist on a defensive player was the first time Ive ever seen that call.

I was curious about that also. I think it was more self preservation on his part, he was about to get trucked, but the rules say you can only block a player below the waist if he is the ball carrier. So I guess the term “block” applies to defensive backs. Who knew I have never quite seen anything like that before.

at 1:11 into this video of the 2019 game against Oregon
there is another defensive blocking below the waist

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=montana+at+oregon+football&type=E211US105G0#id=1&vid=4eff1297fc5982524d697b56049e310f&action=click

Jesse said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I was curious about that also. I think it was more self preservation on his part, he was about to get trucked, but the rules say you can only block a player below the waist if he is the ball carrier. So I guess the term “block” applies to defensive backs. Who knew I have never quite seen anything like that before.

Yes that’s a new rule implemented this year. Defensive players can no longer dive at an offensive blocker’s legs.

Proud Griz Man said:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=montana+at+oregon+football&type=E211US105G0#id=1&vid=4eff1297fc5982524d697b56049e310f&action=click

Jesse said:
He got away with that one, still a dangerous play and is outlawed by both nfl and ncaa. But I doubt he will stop doing it because it is the only way to protect himself from getting run over because of his diminutive size. Actually you should probably shut up or read the rule book. Thanks

Jesse said:
Proud Griz Man said:

He got away with that one, still a dangerous play and is outlawed by both nfl and ncaa. But I doubt he will stop doing it because it is the only way to protect himself from getting run over because of his diminutive size. Actually you should probably shut up or read the rule book. Thanks

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401114194
1st & 10 at ORE 15
(4:32 - 1st) CJ Verdell run for 1 yd to the Oregn 16

2nd & 9 at ORE 16
(4:32 - 1st) Justin Herbert pass complete to Josh Delgado for 18 yds to the Oregn 34 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ORE 34
(4:32 - 1st) Justin Herbert pass complete to CJ Verdell for 21 yds to the OREGON 45 for a 1ST down MONTANA Penalty, illegal block (15 Yards) to the Mont 30 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at MONT 30
(4:32 - 1st) CJ Verdell run for 6 yds to the Mont 24

2nd & 4 at MONT 24
(4:32 - 1st) CJ Verdell run for 2 yds to the Mont 22

3rd & 2 at MONT 22
(4:32 - 1st) CJ Verdell run for 1 yd to the Mont 21

4th & 1 at MONT 21
(4:32 - 1st) CJ Verdell run for 3 yds to the Mont 18 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at MONT 18
(4:32 - 1st) Jaylon Redd run for 1 yd to the Mont 17

2nd & 9 at MONT 17
(0:28 - 1st) Justin Herbert pass complete to Jacob Breeland for 17 yds for a TD, (Camden Lewis KICK)

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/09/live-updates-analysis-no-15-oregon-ducks-vs-montana-grizzlies.html

End 1st QUARTER: OREGON 14 MONTANA 0

-- Montana takes it to the end of the quarter.

-- CJ Verdell in to open the third drive. Justin Herbert connects with Josh Delgado for 18 yards on a crossing route. Verdell on a screen and run for 21 plus an illegal block below the waist springs Oregon to the Montana 30. Verdell runs for 6, 2, 1 and 3. On formation with Darrian Felix and Cyrus Habibi-Likio, Oregon throws to Breeland for 17-yard TD, his second. Herbert 10/10 for 113 yards & 2 TDs. Oregon 14, Montana 0. 0:28.

-- Oregon defense with a three-and-out, Troy Dye with a sack on third down. Montana punt to UO 15.

Oregon made it a 14-0 lead with 28 seconds left in the first quarter when Herbert and Breeland hooked up for a 17-yard score two plays after Oregon converted a fourth-and-1 with a 3-yard run by CJ Verdell. That capped a nine-play, 85-yard drive that included a 15-yard penalty on Robby Hauck for an illegal block.

f1-kimi-shush.gif

Back