• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Skyline Sports News Articles

CrunchGriz said:
Colter, please stop saying that Montana only has 1 playoff road win ever. UM won the national championship in 1995 in Huntington, on Marshall's field, against Marshall. Just because the championship game was located in Huntington at that time doesn't make this any less of a home game for Marshall.

The Griz have 2 road wins in the playoffs, period.

The site was in Huntington no matter if the Marshal made it there or not, though. It was a neutral site for all teams....unless they advanced to face the Thundering Herd.

So yes, I guess it was technically a road game but if the Griz would've played anyone else in 1995, the game still would've been in Huntington and therefore a neutral site.

I shall make that note next time we crack the mic. The NCAA, the school and Bobby Hauck all reference the James Madison win in 2008 as the only true playoff victory in Montana football history.

Thanks for listening!

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1730644747239518383

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1730638330189279562

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1730622827253166255

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1730622450168422739

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1730036741468533109

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
CrunchGriz said:
Colter, please stop saying that Montana only has 1 playoff road win ever. UM won the national championship in 1995 in Huntington, on Marshall's field, against Marshall. Just because the championship game was located in Huntington at that time doesn't make this any less of a home game for Marshall.

The site was in Huntington no matter if the Marshal made it there or not, though. It was a neutral site for all teams....unless they advanced to face the Thundering Herd.

So yes, I guess it was technically a road game but if the Griz would've played anyone else in 1995, the game still would've been in Huntington and therefore a neutral site.

I shall make that note next time we crack the mic. The NCAA, the school and Bobby Hauck all reference the James Madison win in 2008 as the only true playoff victory in Montana football history.

Thanks for listening!

...but they didn't play anyone else...they played Marshall...on their home field. Thus, a true road game for the Griz. Hardly a neutral site.

Just a quick note to the Skyline folks: You posted an article about the post-Delaware game press conference, but there’s no link in the article to the actual press conference.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
CrunchGriz said:

Thanks for listening!
This is a lame argument. I was at the game in Huntington in '95. The atmosphere was hardly one of a neutral site. It was a heroic performance by both the offense and the defense that could not be duplicated in '96. I was also at the game in Harrisonburg in '08. It was great, but had nowhere the headwinds encountered in Huntington in '95.

kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Thanks for listening!
This is a lame argument. I was at the game in Huntington in '95. The atmosphere was hardly one of a neutral site. It was a heroic performance by both the offense and the defense that could not be duplicated in '96. I was also at the game in Harrisonburg in '08. It was great, but had nowhere the headwinds encountered in Huntington in '95.

Not arguing anything. I completely agree it should technically be considered a road game. But it is not. The problem you all have is with the technicality. In the NCAA record book, Division I-AA playoffs record book and the Montana record book, it is noted as a neutral site game.

Thus, that's how we site it. I'll be sure to mention this technicality as often as possible moving forward.

CrunchGriz said:
Just a quick note to the Skyline folks: You posted an article about the post-Delaware game press conference, but there’s no link in the article to the actual press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1UCrQYLQA&t=306s

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1731341776567652595

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1731347533254078969

Griz rout Delaware to advance to quarterfinals
https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-rout-delaware-to-advance-to-quarterfinals/

I struggle to determine who is a bigger dick: Coach Carty, who likely should have been flagged multiple times on the sidelines, or Houghton, who seemingly cannot write an article or column about Montana without including a number of (not-so) subtle slams.

That said, they were both right on one point: As they both suggest, Montana is NOT 30 points better than Delaware. More like 45 if BH hadn't called off the dogs.

EverettGriz said:
I struggle to determine who is a bigger dick: Coach Carty, who likely should have been flagged multiple times on the sidelines, or Houghton, who seemingly cannot write an article or column about Montana without including a number of (not-so) subtle slams.

That said, they were both right on one point: As they both suggest, Montana is NOT 30 points better than Delaware. More like 45 if BH hadn't called off the dogs.

Lafayette folded, having lost their QB - where have we seen that movie before, or we wouldn't have seen Delaware in Missoula. Fact.

EverettGriz said:

I thought our team played bad and unfocused for long stretches, and yet still won by a 30-point margin that should have been much worse, with a lot of the Hen's own points aided by chucked up 50-50 heaves and questionable penalties.

Delaware sure looked a lot worse than us clearly not playing our best.

uofmman1122 said:
EverettGriz said:

I thought our team played bad and unfocused for long stretches, and yet still won by a 30-point margin that should have been much worse, with a lot of the Hen's own points aided by chucked up 50-50 heaves and questionable penalties.

Any observer would think that. But Houghton believes delaware was "right there" with Montana, exceptMontana got a few "snowflake sized" breaks that allowed them to eek out the victory. If not for those, Delaware was at least as good, so he says. Mind numbing on many levels.

EverettGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Any observer would think that. But Houghton believes delaware was "right there" with Montana, exceptMontana got a few "snowflake sized" breaks that allowed them to eek out the victory. If not for those, Delaware was at least as good, so he says. Mind numbing on many levels.

You guys totally misinterpreted the intention of the narrative of the story....but I got married this weekend so I watched exactly zero seconds of the Griz game and was certainly the worst editor ever for this one Saturday....which won't happen again literally ever unless I have a kid born on a Griz game Saturday! PS if you're wondering why we chose this Saturday, it's because I was absolutely certain the Griz would roll.

Thanks for reading!

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
EverettGriz said:
Any observer would think that. But Houghton believes delaware was "right there" with Montana, exceptMontana got a few "snowflake sizeHe could feel that his team wasn’t that much worse than the Griz, just a slim margin from being right there with Montana.d" breaks that allowed them to eek out the victory. If not for those, Delaware was at least as good, so he says. Mind numbing on many levels.

You guys totally misinterpreted the intention of the narrative of the story....but I got married this weekend so I watched exactly zero seconds of the Griz game and was certainly the worst editor ever for this one Saturday....which won't happen again literally ever unless I have a kid born on a Griz game Saturday! PS if you're wondering why we chose this Saturday, it's because I was absolutely certain the Griz would roll.

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations on the marriage, Colter!!!! Best decision you'll ever make. Hope you and your bride had a terrific day.

Apologies if I misinterpreted. But this is the sentence that then has me confused:

He could feel that his team wasn’t that much worse than the Griz, just a slim margin from being right there with Montana.

Now, I recognize that Houghton is providing Delware's coach's thoughts. But the entire article certainly seems to be written around that story line; that but for a few lucky Montana breaks, Delaware was every bit as good as the GRIZ. Which is so far from anything based in reality as to be completely confounding.

Hope you get to enjoy some time away on a honeymoon, Colter.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1tPVP0YnrWlmbygN6UhoQT?si=XevFDHM8S3mlzt5Npo8tFQ

https://x.com/skylinesportsmt/status/1732484884701073472?s=46&t=oszVNkKyNHyzaSkaIUSJKg

Back