• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So how did you become a fan?

I saw the Old Dornblaser & New Dornblaser stadiums during my tenure as a student during the 60s. I became a fan watching the Griz FB teams of the late 60s. At that time the FB players were larger than life and more revered than today.

Grew up in a small Montana town and competed in football, basketball and track & field.

Wanted to play for the U, but was simply not good enough (slow and weak), so I figured I could easily support the team.

Pretty simple.

Was a Cat fan first since my older sister went there. Moved to Missoula in 72 and started going to games at the Horror on Higgins. Team was awful, and I almost got killed by a flying wine bottle while walking behind the east grandstand. Took the fam to the first game at Wa-Griz, got season tickets in the NZone, and the rest is history. Nearly drowned in the rain at the chipper against Nova in Chattanooga. Sat in the south end zone when the Griz hung 70+ on SFA. Really missing the games this year.

bearister said:
Was a Cat fan first since my older sister went there. Moved to Missoula in 72 and started going to games at the Horror on Higgins. Team was awful, and I almost got killed by a flying wine bottle while walking behind the east grandstand. Took the fam to the first game at Wa-Griz, got season tickets in the NZone, and the rest is history. Nearly drowned in the rain at the chipper against Nova in Chattanooga. Sat in the south end zone when the Griz hung 70+ on SFA. Really missing the games this year.
The horrible rain in Chattanooga was against GA Southern in 2000. The Nova game in '09 was painful but I never got wet.

kemajic said:
bearister said:
The horrible rain in Chattanooga was against GA Southern in 2000. The Nova game in '09 was painful but I never got wet.
Yep. It was GA Southern and we got super wet, even though our ponchos were doing an okay job for awhile. But, all-and-all, I liked Chattie as the championship venue.

'68griz said:
I was born a Griz fan nearly three-quarters of a century ago. My mom was a UM (MSU, in those days) graduate and my grandmother attended for a year or two (yes, like in 1913-14). The first three songs my mother taught me were "Jesus Loves Me," "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Up With Montana." I grew up in central Montana, where we were virtually the only Griz fans in town. I went to a couple Griz-Cat games in Bozeman while growing up -- cheered for the Griz, but I am pretty sure they never won. I never attended a Griz game in Missoula until I was in college myself in the '60s. Didn't miss a home game (football or basketball) during my college years ... BB was pretty good, FB not so much. Went off to see the world. Came back to Missoula in the 80s and have been season ticket holders ever since. So, I've seen Old Dornblaser, New Dornblaser and WaGriz. I've seen great football and I've seen some of the worst imaginable. I've travelled to national championships, to Weber and EWU and ISU and Idaho and PSU, and perhaps some I don't remember. All I know is that I have always been a Griz fan, and I never root for the Cats.

That is impressive, and probably the best I've seen. Congrats.

Well, I always loved football. Especially loved playing in the snow as a kid. Played in junior high and high school out in Sidney. Didn't really follow the Griz or the Cats at that time. Enrolled at UM in the mid-80's and in spite of Dornblaser, still went to the games. When Wa-Griz went up, UM football became a can't miss event and I didn't. I knew at the time that that stadium was going to be a game-changer for Grizzly football! Graduated in spring of 1990 and watched as many games as I could on TV. Traveled west once a year for a gameday experience at Wa-Griz. Got married and my four boys all became big Griz fans. Taking them to the game was always a highlight of our year. My youngest, 14-yrs-old, is still pissed we missed out this year. I am too! (Hopefully we'll make it out next spring but I'm not getting my hopes up too high) As I aged, I became involved with the Grizzly Scholarship Association, joined the Sidney Chapter, and that eventually led to a trip to mid-field during a home game against Liberty University for a GSA award. Got a half-page write-up in the Gameday Program and my picture on the scoreboard, which was definitely my highlight as a Griz supporter. Today, I'm not just a fan, I'm a GSA booster and proud of it.

Griz90 said:
Well, I always loved football. Especially loved playing in the snow as a kid. Played in junior high and high school out in Sidney. Didn't really follow the Griz or the Cats at that time. Enrolled at UM in the mid-80's and in spite of Dornblaser, still went to the games. When Wa-Griz went up, UM football became a can't miss event and I didn't. I knew at the time that that stadium was going to be a game-changer for Grizzly football! Graduated in spring of 1990 and watched as many games as I could on TV. Traveled west once a year for a gameday experience at Wa-Griz. Got married and my four boys all became big Griz fans. Taking them to the game was always a highlight of our year. My youngest, 14-yrs-old, is still pissed we missed out this year. I am too! (Hopefully we'll make it out next spring but I'm not getting my hopes up too high) As I aged, I became involved with the Grizzly Scholarship Association, joined the Sidney Chapter, and that eventually led to a trip to mid-field during a home game against Liberty University for a GSA award. Got a half-page write-up in the Gameday Program and my picture on the scoreboard, which was definitely my highlight as a Griz supporter. Today, I'm not just a fan, I'm a GSA booster and proud of it.

Curious - How many Griz fans in Sidney besides you 5 (wife included)!

Dillon said:
Griz90 said:

Curious - How many Griz fans in Sidney besides you 5 (wife included)!
Sidney is a great Griz town; only about 600 miles.

PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:
I was born a Griz fan nearly three-quarters of a century ago. My mom was a UM (MSU, in those days) graduate and my grandmother attended for a year or two (yes, like in 1913-14). The first three songs my mother taught me were "Jesus Loves Me," "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Up With Montana." I grew up in central Montana, where we were virtually the only Griz fans in town. I went to a couple Griz-Cat games in Bozeman while growing up -- cheered for the Griz, but I am pretty sure they never won. I never attended a Griz game in Missoula until I was in college myself in the '60s. Didn't miss a home game (football or basketball) during my college years ... BB was pretty good, FB not so much. Went off to see the world. Came back to Missoula in the 80s and have been season ticket holders ever since. So, I've seen Old Dornblaser, New Dornblaser and WaGriz. I've seen great football and I've seen some of the worst imaginable. I've travelled to national championships, to Weber and EWU and ISU and Idaho and PSU, and perhaps some I don't remember. All I know is that I have always been a Griz fan, and I never root for the Cats.

That is impressive, and probably the best I've seen. Congrats.

Thanks.

As a Bobcat fan, if this answer is inappropriate let me know and I'll delete it.

I became a fan because several very close friends of mine played for the Griz, my brother and other friends graduated from UM, and being amazed at the years of domination, confidence and culture at UM athletics. The best football I've ever watched were Griz games. A few were in person, but most on TV. It wasn't one play, one player or one game. It was the atmosphere of when the Griz took the field, it was theirs, they owned it and the only purpose of the opposing team was to be curb stomped. The confidence when the team walked out was something you couldn't NOT feel. I lived through the 16 year trail of tears at MSU and asked fellow MSU alum to at least have respect for UM athletics, admire, learn and rise to the challenge or stop complaining.

For us old/mid timers: need I remind anyone of the incredible Griz Foot Ball hype video when Bobby slips on his shades? WTF?? That was awesome and I think a company in Bozeman made it, but not certain. (Cue Chris Farley video "Do you remember when that video was playing? That was awesome!")

I'm obviously glad things have turned around, love the Cats and hope they keep doing well. Regardless, I'll always be a Griz fan. I've seen and lived through too much to not be impressed. The acronym RTD makes perfect sense, because it was Dominance and there's a chance it will Return.

Latest posts

Back