• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball Con tourney 2024

As a coach, I know that nothing is guaranteed. I've spent 20 years coaching several sports, including softball/baseball, and know how fleeting success is. That doesn't mean that I lack talent or whatever nor does it say anything about who I am as a person.

I doubt quite seriously that most people on here have any agenda beyond seeing what is best for the Montana softball program. This was and is a weird universe for me, as it is with a couple of other posters, because Mel is a Missoula person with Missoula ties. I don't and can't wish failure upon anyone and my investment (albeit from afar) would have been there even if Mel wasn't a part of the program. There are some people in Missoula I can't say the same about what their motives are, but these moments like with Stitt does happen to bring the worst out of the woodwork. Just saying.

That being said, there isn't anything about this year that went to plan. A lot like last year. There are so many things you can't plan for in baseball and softball and times you are absolutely powerless to stop the train. That isn't incompetence by the staff, but it is reflective of their inability to find answers when they needed them. They were outs away in several games in the conference season from being a six or seven win conference team. They gave away two games in Weber, one against NC, one against Portland and yet another this weekend in Sacramento.

You have to win softball games. Period. End of story. They didn't win enough. For that the staff and players recognize that.

The staff worked exceptionally hard to turn things around this year and this squad despite the record is a million times better than the one they fielded a year ago. There is nothing indicated by what I've seen that this is a squad that has quit on themselves, their coach or is simply going through the motions. This isn't an everyone gets a ribbon sport, despite the results this is program that'll I'll continue to support regardless of what direction they go after the year.

I just choose as a coach not to get caught up in petty BS and I'm not blind to the problems the program has. A lot of them will absolutely NOT be erased just because we replace the staff. That is a conversation for another time.

There are at least two games left, I don't think it is going to be enough to save the staff, but I am rooting for them to find some magic and make a deep run in the BSC tournament.

Thanks for the excellent post above, Grizfan-24. I'm a long-time Griz & GrizSB fan/supporter and am very fond of this team. I won't add to this because I believe you've articulated most of the tough issues they as a teeam and many of us as fans, have struggled with. Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident Kent Haslam has insight on this program, so I'm going to respect his timetable re: the present (Was this team capable of competing in the Big Sky?) and the future (Does this team need "something more" to be competitive in the Big Sky) of Montana softball.

As a coach, I know that nothing is guaranteed. I've spent 20 years coaching several sports, including softball/baseball, and know how fleeting success is. That doesn't mean that I lack talent or whatever nor does it say anything about who I am as a person.

I doubt quite seriously that most people on here have any agenda beyond seeing what is best for the Montana softball program. This was and is a weird universe for me, as it is with a couple of other posters, because Mel is a Missoula person with Missoula ties. I don't and can't wish failure upon anyone and my investment (albeit from afar) would have been there even if Mel wasn't a part of the program. There are some people in Missoula I can't say the same about what their motives are, but these moments like with Stitt does happen to bring the worst out of the woodwork. Just saying.

That being said, there isn't anything about this year that went to plan. A lot like last year. There are so many things you can't plan for in baseball and softball and times you are absolutely powerless to stop the train. That isn't incompetence by the staff, but it is reflective of their inability to find answers when they needed them. They were outs away in several games in the conference season from being a six or seven win conference team. They gave away two games in Weber, one against NC, one against Portland and yet another this weekend in Sacramento.

You have to win softball games. Period. End of story. They didn't win enough. For that the staff and players recognize that.

The staff worked exceptionally hard to turn things around this year and this squad despite the record is a million times better than the one they fielded a year ago. There is nothing indicated by what I've seen that this is a squad that has quit on themselves, their coach or is simply going through the motions. This isn't an everyone gets a ribbon sport, despite the results this is program that'll I'll continue to support regardless of what direction they go after the year.

I just choose as a coach not to get caught up in petty BS and I'm not blind to the problems the program has. A lot of them will absolutely NOT be erased just because we replace the staff. That is a conversation for another time.

There are at least two games left, I don't think it is going to be enough to save the staff, but I am rooting for them to find some magic and make a deep run in the BSC tournament.

Must be concert season because the Spin Doctors are back in town ! Dennis, is that you?? You’re saying a team that batted .216 and had an era over 8(?!) in conference games was better than last year. Scary.
These last three seasons have been awful and just the bottoming out of a seven year slide. Something needs to be done to right the ship.

I recognize she is a Missoula person and also respect the fact that baseball and softball are tough and lots of unexpected things can happen during a season but that does not negate the fact that the last several seasons have been awful and changes need to be made with the staff or recruiting will become even more difficult.

Must be concert season because the Spin Doctors are back in town ! Dennis, is that you?? You’re saying a team that batted .216 and had an era over 8(?!) in conference games was better than last year. Scary.
These last three seasons have been awful and just the bottoming out of a seven year slide. Something needs to be done to right the ship.
I'm not spinning anything. I am just not for open season on anything but play on the field.

No I am not Dennis.

I've been around and in contact with the Missoula softball and baseball community since the early 90's to know that Dennis is not the most well loved person in the community. Heard it last summer when I was home. There are people who can't stand seeing Dennis in the dugout. Some of the petty BS directed toward the program would be better directed toward Dennis.

Mel can stand or not stand on her own accomplishments and the merits of her record at the UM. Things haven't worked out and some of those issues were not of her creation. I've said before and I'll say it again, you have to make do with what you have, and maximize your product and that hasn't happened.

I respect your thoughts and feedback and I respect that you have coached the game. I have as well. But I really have a hard time understanding when you say this team is 1 million times better than last year. In my opinion, this team and season is as bad as it can possibly be. It is the absolute bottom of the barrel and the worst I could’ve possibly even imagined the Griz program falling to.

The Griz were last in batting, they were last in pitching, they were second to last in Fielding, and they weren’t even in the same stratosphere when it came to stolen bases or stolen base attempts. The Griz were 18-23 there, while Idaho St was 73-79. Let than sink in for a moment!

That is the inherent flaw of this coaching staff, and it has been for years. I guarantee if you found a high school coach in Montana who has a different philosophy of small ball, bunting, stealing bases, hitting and running and being AGGRESSIVE this team is instantly better and would win more games.

What this coaching staff has done to this once fine program is a travesty….there’s no mincing words here

Look at the stats….almost unbelievable really!

The statistics are ugly. There is no arguing that. The peripherals are just as bad. All things that until the ISU series they had out performed last year. Offensively and Pitching wise. Since then: worse. So much worse than last year. That falls on staff to find ways to win with the personnel they have. Felt like from everything I saw until that ISU series that this was a team that was better tooled to succeed than a year ago.

Team isn't clearly good enough. Not consistent enough, and not enough players capable of playing at a league or above league average level.

You are absolutely right. Outside of two games in the last 9, (lone win against PSU and the walk off loss to SS) they haven't done squat. Makes it hard to defend anything including product and ethos when you have 10 hits in 3 games and score 4 runs against Sac State.

I'm not giving the staff a pass. I just know that reality is different than perception, and right now it just doesn't matter. The team should be better, fans expect better and I know the AD does expect more. I have a tendency to resist narratives especially when it comes to coaching and players, because most of the time there is little connection between what is really going on and the amount of time and effort expended and what the public sees or can garner from a box score or watching a game.

That doesn't mean the public is wrong. If you are going to make an advanced argument as to the failures of the program, I don't think you have to go much further than the statistics you provided. I think, and this is just my impression of things, the issue that sticks in the craw for the staff the most because I know they felt like it was the strength of the staff was to develop good pitchers and good defenders.

The argument is moot at this point, unless there is some underlying issue beyond what I was already aware of, I don't see the staff being around next year. No matter what or how the team plays, the results are all that matter.

The statistics are ugly. There is no arguing that. The peripherals are just as bad. All things that until the ISU series they had out performed last year. Offensively and Pitching wise. Since then: worse. So much worse than last year. That falls on staff to find ways to win with the personnel they have. Felt like from everything I saw until that ISU series that this was a team that was better tooled to succeed than a year ago.

Team isn't clearly good enough. Not consistent enough, and not enough players capable of playing at a league or above league average level.

You are absolutely right. Outside of two games in the last 9, (lone win against PSU and the walk off loss to SS) they haven't done squat. Makes it hard to defend anything including product and ethos when you have 10 hits in 3 games and score 4 runs against Sac State.

I'm not giving the staff a pass. I just know that reality is different than perception, and right now it just doesn't matter. The team should be better, fans expect better and I know the AD does expect more. I have a tendency to resist narratives especially when it comes to coaching and players, because most of the time there is little connection between what is really going on and the amount of time and effort expended and what the public sees or can garner from a box score or watching a game.

That doesn't mean the public is wrong. If you are going to make an advanced argument as to the failures of the program, I don't think you have to go much further than the statistics you provided. I think, and this is just my impression of things, the issue that sticks in the craw for the staff the most because I know they felt like it was the strength of the staff was to develop good pitchers and good defenders.

The argument is moot at this point, unless there is some underlying issue beyond what I was already aware of, I don't see the staff being around next year. No matter what or how the team plays, the results are all that matter.
I do really like all your analysis provided throughout the season, and I love that you love the softball team. I do too, and we can both agree we want this program to be awesome. It will be interesting to see where the AD goes from here or how it all shakes out.

Back