• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sophia Stiles enters transfer portal

Mousegriz said:

Did she win a BSC tourney game in her career? Probably a disappointing career from a W and L in the postseason perspective.

If Stiles career was "disappointing", what would you call the your career and your son?

Stiles' career is still going on. With her talent, personality and looks, she will go far in life.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:
Did she win a BSC tourney game in her career? Probably a disappointing career from a W and L in the postseason perspective.

If Stiles career was "disappointing", what would you call the your career and your son?

Stiles' career is still going on. With her talent, personality and looks, she will go far in life.

Son played on a college team that made the final 8 in the nation a couple years in a row. Travelled the country made lifelong friends and grew as a person.

"The your career"...is that mine or "the yours" not that lustrous but had a lot of fun.

Why are you so hung up on Stiles looks and NIL opportunities......seems a little pervish?

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Son played on a college team that made the final 8 in the nation a couple years in a row. Travelled the country made lifelong friends and grew as a person.

"The your career"...is that mine or "the yours" not that lustrous but had a lot of fun.

Why are you so hung up on Stiles looks and NIL opportunities......seems a little pervish?

You told me your son was a benchwarmer. I'm good with that, and good with what you've said he did and has done. In fact, I think that's great. It's my idea of sport. And you didn't make it to a college varsity game as a player, you told me. So, why would you dish the very nice career that Stiles has had, and her career looks like it will continue? Something wrong with you.

NIL article on Cavinder twins. This article is worth glancing at.

"Cavinder twins have message for trash-talkers: 'We'll see them on the court'

The 21-year-old college-hoops stars have already earned more than $1 million off their massive social-media followings."

New York Post: https://apple.news/AeD9di0JuQA6ztFBYaU6PJQ

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

You told me your son was a benchwarmer. I'm good with that, and good with what you've said he did and has done. In fact, I think that's great. It's my idea of sport. And you didn't make it to a college varsity game as a player, you told me. So, why would you dish the very nice career that Stiles has had, and her career looks like it will continue? Something wrong with you.

I pointed out that the teams she was part of didn't win many postseason games. Not at all "on her" but I'd expect that's a disappointment of her career so far. How and why this has anything to do with my son I'm not sure. What does "dish a career" mean anyway?

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I pointed out that the teams she was part of didn't win many postseason games. Not at all "on her" but I'd expect that's a disappointment of her career so far. How and why this has anything to do with my son I'm not sure. What does "dish a career" mean anyway?

No, you said “she” had never won a tourney game in her career. You said nothing about the “team”. You dissed her career. Just seemed funny that a guy who wasn’t good enough to make the Griz varsity and who had a son who you told me was a benchwarmer, would be making negative comments about a terrific Griz player who had a nice career. Note you were commenting about disagreeing with the comment that said she had had “disappointing career”

“Mouse: “Did she win a BSC tourney game in her career? Probably a disappointing career from a W and L in the postseason perspective.”

OregonStateFan said:
Stiles is headed to Florida Gulf Coast, one of the top mid majors:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce2f2tcL_jG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Good on her! I can imagine this aligns with her NIL/Modeling? Maybe I'm misreading the situation. Hope she does well!

PeauxRouge said:
Good on her! I can imagine this aligns with her NIL/Modeling? Maybe I'm misreading the situation. Hope she does well!

Might have something to do with her wanting to experience March Madness. FGCU beat Virginia Tech in the first round this past season and ended up ranked #23 in the nation after losing to Maryland in the Round of 32. The FGCU-Virginia Tech recap: https://asunsports.org/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/20220318v5q8d6

AP Top 25

And if a goal of hers is to play professionally, the ASUN is more visible and had a couple players drafted to the WNBA this year (one from FGCU).

Florida Gulf Coast U is about the size of UM. It is just inland on the gulf side (obviously). Their women's basketball team has 11 straight seasons of 25 or more wins. The coach has a record of 84% wins. They seems to be a guard-oriented team with a heavy emphasis on 3 pointers.

This is perfect for the girl from small town Malta who played at small town UM. Great to get away and see another part of the country. She is such a class act - we all wish her the best.

717s7e said:
Florida Gulf Coast U is about the size of UM. It is just inland on the gulf side (obviously). Their women's basketball team has 11 straight seasons of 25 or more wins. The coach has a record of 84% wins. They seems to be a guard-oriented team with a heavy emphasis on 3 pointers.

This is perfect for the girl from small town Malta who played at small town UM. Great to get away and see another part of the country. She is such a class act - we all wish her the best.

Agreed: Definitely a step up for Sophia. FGCU finished #3 in the 2022 College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 rankings which season-ending poll did not include a single Big Sky school among those 25. As a fan, I'll definitely miss seeing her on court, in Missoula, but wish her all the best.

And, they were 30-3 last year. It appears that they lost a lot of guards on a guard oriented team. Their roster didn't list a single post player and only one forward who was listed as a guard-forward. Hope we can watch Sophia on the tube from time to time.

Looks like they are losing 10 of 16 players and 170 of 200 minutes a game. Who knows with the way all the exceptions work with COVID and such but could be a great opportunity for Sophia to get a lot of playing time on a roster that, on paper, looks like a total rebuild.

Good observation - it is hard to tell how many of the "seniors" really are seniors - or do they have a covid year remaining? I was just thinking that Sophie has now had 4 different coaches - Shannon, Mike, Brian, and FGCU. I assume that she will say that each had good points. It would be interesting to chat with here in a few years to see how the whole thing has panned out, but I think this is as good a move as she could have made. Hope she ends up back in Montana.

717s7e said:

Fort Myers is a nice town-I guess it's a city now, and I've been there multiple times throughout the years. I remember flying to Fort Myers for Spring Break one year and the temperature was, literally, 100 degrees warmer in Fort Myers (89) than where I flew from (11 below). I've always loved Fort Myers since then. I've come to terms with their being no loyalty anymore with college athletes and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but she could do worse than Fort Myers. She'll have a lot warmer senior year, for sure.

I don't think this has been posted yet:
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/sophia-stiles-offers-rationale-for-turning-down-final-season-with-montana-lady-griz/article_ebb64b8b-bb42-57bb-8e2c-6014414a7326.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_406_Sports&fbclid=IwAR1KP3eZVwc4doZcjwN7WSWF6dDOeqO9UeZ_lRfocOlnK2O4fKwzf9Dn0OI

Back