• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring ball discussion: Defense / Special Teams

go96griz said:
Sims may be listed as DE but he predominantly plays DT. I believe Deming actually plays DE.

Nagler got hurt in the Idaho game and it appeared serious (ACL??). The coaches are very high on him at DE but if he was injured badly he likely won't have an impact until later in the season to allow for adequate healing time.

Yeah on Sims you're right, I got those crossed.

As for Nagler, that's right... I forgot right when he came back he got hurt again... damn. Unless if it's something that was less severe than it looked I would doubt he'll be suited up this spring.

Htowngriz said:
reinell30 said:
I sit here at work and look out my window. I see over 24" of snow on the ground and the temp is around 10 below with negative 25 for the weekend. Hard to believe spring ball is coming...

What's in a name. You know as well as I do that the four seasons are almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction/fires. :lol:

Damn. I'm hoping for June wet rainy Spring and those 2 weeks of blistering hot Summer in early July so those smoke and fire days can really rock.

But back to subject at hand. I think/hope we will see ST play get back to the old Bobby standards. Always the least sexy thing to discuss, it even gets tossed into a Egriz forum on Defense.

But it is hugely important. With Malik, Sulser and Jerry Jerry Jerry returning kicks we could see the best set of ST returners we've had since Heidelberger and LV. And Bobby will get them the scheme's needed to succeed.

If we don't dominate in this area, we are DOA IMHO

Alaska Griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I wonder how Milton Mamula is progressing.

He's been out of a sling for a good while and working out. Looking good.

Thnks Alaska, that’s good to know. We’ll be REAL deep at the D line in a year or two. This year we need to develop a lot of experience for most of these guys.

behappp said:
But back to subject at hand. I think/hope we will see ST play get back to the old Bobby standards. Always the least sexy thing to discuss, it even gets tossed into a Egriz forum on Defense.

But it is hugely important. With Malik, Sulser and Jerry Jerry Jerry returning kicks we could see the best set of ST returners we've had since Heidelberger and LV. And Bobby will get them the scheme's needed to succeed.

I think this is a product of lack of depth. If you have enough good players, there's a good group on the field doing ST.

AZDoc said:
behappp said:

I think this is a product of lack of depth. If you have enough good players, there's a good group on the field doing ST.

You could be right. Minus some kicking gags, a punt return here & there, this group was light years ahead of the last few years.

Back