• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Season! 6 weeks from game time...

kemajic said:
Brother Bear said:
What’s the magic number of fans needed in Missoula to make it work? How does basketball make it work with no fans... volleyball... softball etc?
They don't make it work in terms of revenue; they just cost much less to run than football. Bball has about 1/6 the number of players to manage and support, including covid protocol requirements. Easier to make bus arrangements for trips, etc. Unlike the spring football proposal, Bball was able to take on OOC money road games with big schools to help cover their overheads. They had to get the cheapest possible OOC home games.

Only the AD and the BSC know the number you are asking about.
That brings up an interesting point that Haslam has mentioned repeatedly as a viable option. If the team truly wants to play this Spring and compete for a championship, and no major TV deals arise this Spring, what is the likelihood that the athletic department would make the decision to move to a pay-per-view model that Haslam has mentioned repeatedly? That may not be profitable with only 6 games, but may cover some costs and put us in less of a hole then we would be otherwise. I would pay $40 or $50 or even more then that to watch a game.

Twenty six games in nine months. That's the possibility with a spring season, and more than a few top tier FCS programs are looking elsewhere if (don't think it's if) many cash poor schools opt out. Without a spring season, FCS is in trouble. Reality is a bitch. Play or get left behind.

Second half we talk about pros and cons of spring season.

https://twitter.com/skylinesportsmt/status/1349757763786735619?s=21

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-favorites-2021-spring-national-title-bzbz/

3 Big Sky teams towards the top!

Hope the spring season happens...

4. Montana
The Griz were set to have the best 1-2 WR combo in the FCS with Samori Toure and Samuel Akem. However, Toure has recently entered the transfer portal. Other than that, the portal has stayed away from this program loaded with talent.

LB Jace Lewis, DB Robby Hauck, RB Marcus Knight and KR Malik Flowers were 2020 fall preseason All-Americans. Akem had a great argument to be on that list along with OL Conlan Beaver.

Replacing QB Dalton Sneed will be key. Redshirt senior Cam Humphrey could be that guy. He filled in for an injured Sneed in 2019 and started three games, throwing for a combined 561 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions. He’ll be pushed for the starting job by some younger talent.

It’s been said that the Griz were a year ahead of schedule in 2019. So there’s plenty of optimism for what this team can accomplish after advancing to the quarterfinals.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Twenty six games in nine months. That's the possibility with a spring season, and more than a few top tier FCS programs are looking elsewhere if (don't think it's if) many cash poor schools opt out. Without a spring season, FCS is in trouble. Reality is a bitch. Play or get left behind.

Would a good playoff run get ESPN money for UM or does playing six games and a few playoff games cost way more?

Diesel said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Would a good playoff run get ESPN money for UM or does playing six games and a few playoff games cost way more?

At least in the past, I don't believe any playoff tv money went to schools. Only to the the ncaa. The ncaa pays all expenses for playoff teams (unless the teams decide to bring more than the allowed players and staff).

While I don't know, I assume the main extra costs of a season would travel for games (1 flight roundtrip and 2 bus trips), 3 game-day expenses at home, and any incremental cost of covid testing and protocols beyond what would be done anyway (like during normal spring ball). Along with no or virtually no related game revenue.

The biggest costs, presumably scholarships and coach, staff salaries and facility maintenance, would be incurred with or without games. And then some possible offset from revenue from pay per view or whatever. Also, it would seem that spring season would result in more donations from normal donors too.

What am I missing?

PlayerRep said:
Diesel said:

At least in the past, I don't believe any playoff tv money went to schools. Only to the the ncaa. The ncaa pays all expenses for playoff teams (unless the teams decide to bring more than the allowed players and staff).

While I don't know, I assume the main extra costs of a season would travel for games (1 flight roundtrip and 2 bus trips), 3 game-day expenses at home, and any incremental cost of covid testing and protocols beyond what would be done anyway (like during normal spring ball). Along with no or virtually no related game revenue.

The biggest costs, presumably scholarships and coach, staff salaries and facility maintenance, would be incurred with or without games. And then some possible offset from revenue from pay per view or whatever. Also, it would seem that spring season would result in more donations from normal donors too.

What am I missing?

No longer privy to any relevant information to contribute to your information. Just remember when Georgia and Oklahoma sued the NCAA in 1984 on behalf of what is basically the Power 5 schools of today. The television revenue went to the conferences (and Notre Dame).

I believe strong administrators are sitting on a potential gold mine with the spring season. Six conference games and the playoffs have the potential to turn a school like Grambling into the BYU of the early days of ESPN. Other FCS conferences will get stronger and some will disappear. That's just the way it goes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the a few FCS programs on the tube every week.

TV revenue for FCS is nonexistent. As for playoffs, at best, most FCS schools hope to break even. Montana only comes out ahead based on home games revenues outpacing the expenses, which include the NCAA's cut. ESPN money doesn't exist for conferences or schools.

HelenaHandBasket said:
TV revenue for FCS is nonexistent. As for playoffs, at best, most FCS schools hope to break even. Montana only comes out ahead based on home games revenues outpacing the expenses, which include the NCAA's cut. ESPN money doesn't exist for conferences or schools.

"Has" been almost nonexistent. I think CatGriz' point is interesting. Why not better tv potential, i.e. bigger networks, with good FCS teams not competing with FBS or NFL games? Not having big inter-conference match ups would take away some of the potential. Like NDSU vs. the Montana schools. Not talking about lots of conference games on bigger tv.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

"Has" been almost nonexistent. I think CatGriz' point is interesting. Why not better tv potential, i.e. bigger networks, with good FCS teams not competing with FBS or NFL games? Not having big inter-conference match ups would take away some of the potential. Like NDSU vs. the Montana schools. Not talking about lots of conference games on bigger tv.

What network would pay any significant amount for FCS football? And don't say ESPN or FoxSports.

Also, in regards to the "no competition for FBS fans' viewership" point, the FCS would still likely have to compete with March Madness (currently proposed to run from March 14 to April 5 plus the conference tourneys before that). That period covers almost the entire FCS Spring season (4 of the 6 scheduled games for the Griz).

well mute point now. MT schools to play a two game nonconference schedule and withdraw from the spring season.

Montana Schools to Play Modified Spring Football Season

MISSOULA, Montana – The football programs at the University of Montana and Montana State University announced jointly on Friday that neither team will participate in the Big Sky Conference’s spring championship season and will potentially play a modified non-conference spring schedule.

The Grizzlies and Bobcats were set to participate in the league’s six-game spring season from February 27 to April 10. Neither team will now be eligible for a spring Big Sky championship or the FCS playoffs.

Both Montana schools now look to develop a slate that allows each team to schedule up to two live competitions, falling in line more closely with the traditional spring practice period. Opponents and exact dates are still to be determined.

University of Montana President Seth Bodnar says he and Montana State University President Dr. Waded Cruzado made the joint decision with the health and safety of student-athletes as their primary concern for not participating in a full spring season.

“Throughout the pandemic, we have made decisions in the best interest of the students. After much discussion with the athletic directors and coaches at both schools, we feel this decision allows our student-athletes to compete with adequate time to prepare,” said Bodnar.

Montana State President Dr. Waded Cruzado said her focus is trained on the well-being of students.

“The safety of our students is always our No. 1 priority at Montana State,” Cruzado said. “This decision was difficult, but it will help ensure our student-athletes are as safe and healthy as possible when they do take to the field again. We are proud of their hard work and look forward to cheering them on.”

Directors of Athletics Kent Haslam of Montana and Leon Costello of Montana State echoed the presidents’ concerns of the difficulties in safely preparing football student-athletes for competition starting in February while focusing on implementing a successful fall 2021 season.

“We know that student-athletes want to play and coaches certainly want to coach, but a reduced number of games in the spring will give our team a greater chance of success in the fall of 2021,” said Haslam. “This decision allows our student-athletes to compete in some way but gives them more time to prepare in a more controlled environment.”

Costello said the modified schedule allows student-athletes to maintain a normal cycle of preparation for the upcoming fall season. Montana State’s most recent game was in December, 2019.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes is paramount,” he said. “The timeline for our football student-athletes to be physically prepared for the current conference schedule can’t be guaranteed given our climate and related circumstances. By altering our spring season, we will be able to focus on their physical training during the appropriate conditions and proper recovery for the fall season.”

Montana and Montana State are two of three Big Sky schools that have chosen to participate in a modified spring schedule along with Portland State. Sacramento State announced in the fall that it will opt out of the entire 2021 spring season.

“We want to compete this spring but we don’t believe playing a complete conference schedule is in the best interest of our program,” said Montana head coach Bobby Hauck. “We feel like we have a championship-caliber team, and preparing to win a championship in Montana in February with no indoor facility would be difficult at best. I think this modified schedule allows our players to compete while keeping the focus on the fall of 2021.”

Bobcat head coach Jeff Choate said the spring season’s timeline wasn’t feasible in Montana.

“This has been a trying year for everyone,” he said. “We respect the fact that each institution is in a different place in its ability to practice, compete, and meet testing protocols. Here in Montana we’re uniquely challenged in keeping our student-athletes safe and healthy, which is our top priority, while preparing and playing in deep winter conditions. This is nearly impossible to accomplish given the Big Sky Conference schedule timeline. Finding a way to compete in some fashion when circumstances allow remains important to me and our administration.”

In September, the NCAA extended student-athletes' eligibility by a year, making players who participate in the modified spring season eligible to compete in the fall 2021 season as well.

This group think from the Montana schools Administrations is bullshit. They need to cut the rationalizing and level with the fan base, what's left of it that is. Their credibility is going...going...gone.

tourist said:
This group think from the Montana schools Administrations is bullshit. They need to cut the rationalizing and level with the fan base, what's left of it that is. Their credibility is going...going...gone.

I always felt the original Spring season decision was a kick the can down the street affair, just to see if things would change.

MikeyGriz said:
tourist said:

I always felt the original Spring season decision was a kick the can down the street affair, just to see if things would change.

It was exactly that. If things would have aligned perfectly they would have played. Great move by UM and MSU taking and making this decision. The rest will follow. And not just the BSC.

DoubleNicks said:
Also, in regards to the "no competition for FBS fans' viewership" point, the FCS would still likely have to compete with March Madness (currently proposed to run from March 14 to April 5 plus the conference tourneys before that). That period covers almost the entire FCS Spring season (4 of the 6 scheduled games for the Griz).

Excellent point, hadn't really thought about that. That is what casual fans will be tuned in to.

ilovethecats said:
MikeyGriz said:

It was exactly that. If things would have aligned perfectly they would have played. Great move by UM and MSU taking and making this decision. The rest will follow. And not just the BSC.

Yup, they were hoping the Kung Flu would have abated by now.

Hoops watcher said:
DoubleNicks said:

Excellent point, hadn't really thought about that. That is what casual fans will be tuned in to.

Good point, but when I go looking for a football game, I don't pick a basketball game.

Back