• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

a872d8b7d087e4dd4033e30358a48c14af798163a2ce1327451a44643de171e9_1.jpg

horribilisfan8184 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Do you think every 27 year old is entitled to do so?

In the lead up to housing crash in the mid 80's mortgage interest rates were still buoyed by the Carter era high interest rate levels at or above 10%, depending on credit. Mine was north of 7% on a 30 year term, not the 2.125% you can find today. My salary out of college was 17,000/yr. I 'spose doubling that in 2 years by working my ass off isn't impressive to the entitlement crowd CDA is defending and wooing, but I can live with that.

It's impressive to me; well done.

indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:
have you been living in a cave for the past 18 months? EVERYONE is experiencing staff shortages because people have been being paid not to work by our benevolent government. 8 million unemployed....10.9 million job openings.
How come when a trillion dollars of tax payer money was paid to bankers and wall street multinational corporations or when 50 billion gets printed and spent on quantitative easing nobody ever says it's a disensentive for them to produce? But when a few hundred bucks gets paid to working people to keep them out of poverty everyone screams about what lazy bastards people are for not toiling away for slave wages at taco bell?

If you’re talking about the bailouts, that money was paid back. Are people going to pay back the trillions they’ve been given?

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nope. Not the world we live in. But we also don’t live in the world of 8-15% mortgage rates like in the 70’s and 80’s and 90’s either.

Agreed. And we definitely aren’t living in a world where a lot of people gross 2/3 of their home’s purchase price, as you’ve noted in your example. We will always have Scobey. ;)

Depends on how much home they’re trying to buy, I guess….There’s lots of families grossing $250,000-$300,000 combined….lots and lots. But they’re not buying $450,000 homes, they’re buying $1,000,000 homes. Which they CAN, because of the interest rate market.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Agreed. And we definitely aren’t living in a world where a lot of people gross 2/3 of their home’s purchase price, as you’ve noted in your example. We will always have Scobey. ;)

Depends on how much home they’re trying to buy, I guess….There’s lots of families grossing $250,000-$300,000 combined….lots and lots. But they’re not buying $450,000 homes, they’re buying $1,000,000 homes. Which they CAN, because of the interest rate market.

Yep

horribilisfan8184 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I mean, that's kind of the point here, is it not? You bought a home (not sure where) when your gross was 2/3 the price of the home. Practically no 27yo can do that now. It might be possible in Scobey. But, hey, good on you. That's really impressive.

So waiting to buy something until it won't consume the max allowed by borrowing guidelines isn't impressive? Good on you too. You're right, I should have taken on the crushing debt of the $120K home for the status it would bring.

I think you’re reading a bit too much into my post. I honestly do think it’s impressive, as very few 27yos have such an option today.

SoldierGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
In the lead up to housing crash in the mid 80's mortgage interest rates were still buoyed by the Carter era high interest rate levels at or above 10%, depending on credit. Mine was north of 7% on a 30 year term, not the 2.125% you can find today. My salary out of college was 17,000/yr. I 'spose doubling that in 2 years by working my ass off isn't impressive to the entitlement crowd CDA is defending and wooing, but I can live with that.

It's impressive to me; well done.

not that impressive at all. i know a high level i.t. executive who grew up in a dirt road village that had a communal well from which she had to carry water. they at meat, which was mostly fat, maybe once a week. had a parent who parented by beating the kids up. dropped out of college because she didn't agree with being forced to study the little red book. learned some english, etc etc not going to go into the whole story, but it makes what you are saying look puny. $17K a year in 80's money is the equivalent of $43K today. not a lot, but not a little, especially in a place like montana. probably had family support along the way. you guys pat yourselves on the back over pretty pedestrian stuff.

*addendum, i forgot her biggest challenge, putting up with me.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Awesome. It sounds like a worker’s paradise, comrade. The problem is that we don’t need a 28 million man/woman standing army.

It’s amazing how well workers thrive when they have medical care and basic needs met. If only we could learn something from this example and apply it to the broader society.

Our military is but one example of the opportunities out there...there are many more.

You are an equality of outcome guy, correct?

Nope—I’m a capitalist, but a responsible one. I believe we are all better off and more secure with a thriving middle class.

If an American works 40 hours a week they should not live in poverty.

You and I have lived thru the greatest redistribution of wealth in the history of the world. Since the 1970’s middle class wages have remained flat.

The Top 1% of Americans Have Taken $50 Trillion From the Bottom 90%. This goes directly to CDA’s point about the affordability of housing.

I know right-wing media likes to spread fear by talking about the impending left-wing wealth distribution. It’s already taken place over the past 50 years and it’s the top 1% that have greatly benefited.

That’s not a theory or a talking point. It’s fact.

https://time.com/5888024/50-trillion-income-inequality-america/

Pretty simple really. The rewards for hard work are emotional, intellectual, physical and yes, economic. Always have been, always will be unless we slide further into Bernie's world.

CDAGRIZ said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
So waiting to buy something until it won't consume the max allowed by borrowing guidelines isn't impressive? Good on you too. You're right, I should have taken on the crushing debt of the $120K home for the status it would bring.

I think you’re reading a bit too much into my post. I honestly do think it’s impressive, as very few 27yos have such an option today.

Well I know a couple who each graduated UM in the last 7 years, that own a house in Missoula and a condo at Big Sky, cars, boat, side-by-side and other toys ( purchased used, not new). Formula: hard workers and a couple of the tightest screws you 'll ever find. No help from mom and dad. Several jobs in college plus scholarships they earned from hard work in high school. The American dream is still there, even in Montana, no matter what the dependency pushing pundits say.

horribilisfan8184 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Well I know a couple who each graduated UM in the last 7 years, that own a house in Missoula and a condo at Big Sky, cars, boat, side-by-side and other toys ( purchased used, not new). Formula: hard workers and a couple of the tightest screws you 'll ever find. No help from mom and dad. Several jobs in college plus scholarships they earned from hard work in high school. The American dream is still there, even in Montana, no matter what the dependency pushing pundits say.

I don't think I've seen anyone dispute any of this in this thread. People seem to be talking about two completely different things.

Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:
Our military is but one example of the opportunities out there...there are many more.

Nope—I’m a capitalist, but a responsible one. I believe we are all better off and more secure with a thriving middle class.

You and I have lived thru the greatest redistribution of wealth in the history of the world. Since the 1970’s middle class wages have remained flat.

The Top 1% of Americans Have Taken $50 Trillion From the Bottom 90%. This goes directly to CDA’s point about the affordability of housing.

I know right-wing media likes to spread fear by talking about the impending left-wing wealth distribution. It’s already taken place over the past 50 years and it’s the top 1% that have greatly benefited.

As a card carrying member of the 1%, I take umbrage with this post. :evil: :evil:

I guess I can just thank god I was born white, eh Ursa?

“Horrible Us” paints with a very broad brush. You’re either a hard worker or a slacker. A capitalist or a communist. Black or white. Up or down. There is no gray area. If only reality were that simple. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Ursa Major said:

As a card carrying member of the 1%, I take umbrage with this post. :evil: :evil:

I guess I can just thank god I was born white, eh Ursa?

I’m not exactly sure how white Victimhood plays here. Your argument seems more like distortion, subterfuge and whataboutism to cloud the argument.

The vast majority of the middle class is white. Like your dad who worked 3 full-time jobs. It’s not about race, it’s about class.

In a quick google search: According to CNBC to be in the top 1% in Texas requires an income of $440,758. Average annual income of the top 1% in Texas is 1.34 million.

AllWeatherFan said:
“Horrible Us” paints with a very broad brush. You’re either a hard worker or a slacker. A capitalist or a communist. Black or white. Up or down. There is no gray area. If only reality were that simple. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

He must be a real kick at a party. At 9:30 you would be asking your wife where everybody went.

horribilisfan8184 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Bet there's not a lot of unemployment in Scobey

You'd lose. Businesses are desperate for workers all over this state, including the small towns. Lots of CARE and AARP and stimulus money projects out there but it's hell to find workers for the contractors hired.

I don't doubt there are jobs available in Scobey. My bet was that there are probably few people without jobs there.

In other news, there's still a football game this weekend. Only some concession stands will be open and no outside food will be allowed in per Kent Haslam. Eat or drink before you go in...... and Go Griz!

Griz2k said:
In other news, there's still a football game this weekend. Only some concession stands will be open and no outside food will be allowed in per Kent Haslam. Eat or drink before you go in...... and Go Griz!

What about outside snakes?

Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:

I don't disagree with you on this. The middle class certainly drives America, and needs to expand. I certainly don't know how to reverse the decades-long reduction (1971 - 61% of Americans were in the middle class, 52% in 2016)....

I think we have to better understand the demands of the labor market and increase technical education and the trades to a MUCH larger extent. The guy managing a taco bell better learn how to code and fix robots...that is coming quickly. The guy who fixes the toilet in the taco bell is going to OK...for now.

Also - I heard someone talking about the ridiculous challenges with having portable credentials. Why can't a teacher just friggin move to another state without jumping thru hoops - paying fees etc. That's probably easy compared to what other professions have to go through. People are mobile - moving all the time - we should make it easier to do so.

I'd like to think we'll figure it out, but who knows with the tribal nature of politics...

Back