• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Starting 5

Beyond Pridgett and Manuel, I'm not sure who will be starting. I would definitely focus the offense around Pridgett and Manuel. If needed, Pridgett can average 20+ per game, and at times may be called on to do so. I see Manuel as a 14+ per game, with some huge games mixed in. Falls will see a lot of playing time. He will likely start. Rather Falls starts, or not, he will likely be expected to be the 3rd scorer. Those 3 will be doing a higher percentage of scoring to start the season. Depending on how Samuelson, and the young inexperienced guys develop, more will be added to their roles.

To start the season:
Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Samuelson
Anderson

Rotation:
Vazquez
Egun
Yagi
Carter
Owens
Brown

DeCuire absolutely must develop the young players. If it were me, I would get them as much time as possible before conference play starts. From there, who knows what DeCuire's rotation will be. Like last season, it may be determined by opponent matchups, game to game. If DeCuire can fit Vazquez, Owens, and Carter into the rotation as True Freshman, that will be phenomenal for the long term welfare of the program and players. I've had multiple people, familiar with CA hoops, tell me all 3 of the CA Freshman are great. When I ask, which of the 3 will make the most impact as a Freshman, the answers have been pretty evenly split between the 3. That's a great sign as for the quality of players these 3 are.

With that said, it comes down to opportunity. Vazquez and Owens will find themselves battling for playing time at positions with more question marks. Vazquez will be battling for PG/1 minutes, with Falls and Egun (Pridgett may run the offense as a point forward from time to time too). Vazquez would give us tall (6'3") PG, which is a benefit for seeing the floor and DeCuire's traps. If he can grasp the offense quickly, I see him getting good minutes. Owens is likely the most complete 6'8" or taller player the GRIZ have. How quickly can he adjust? He certainly set the tone early, by being on campus a day after his HS graduation! That would make a huge statement to me as a coach. Owens is also capable of playing as a more traditional 6'8" SF/3. In my opinion, it will be difficult to keep him off the court, despite being a true Freshman.

Carter Hollinger, is very talented as well. Unfortunately, he is a true combo SG/SF (2/3). Pridgett and Manuel will be seeing minutes at those spots as well. Pridgett is our do it all players. Manuel has NBA+ shooting range and his presence opens the floor for the other players. IF Carter Hollinger can get rotational minutes, that will say a lot about his potential.

I won't be surprised, if Vazqez and Owens are each top 5 Freshman in the conference this season. The opportunity will be there for each to prove themselves. I have a feeling, they will have impact come the conference tournament.

I hear Brown has had a very good off season. Supposedly, he was working out with Zach LeVine. I am not sure how true that is, or not. Brown certainly can be utilized for his 3 pt shooting, in a role similar to Manuel, to spread the floor for his teammates. If he competes for playing time, DeCuire may go 10 or 11 deep some games.

Safe to say, "A lot will be determined by true Freshman through Sophomores."

AZGrizFan said:
You really think Anderson is ready to be a starter?

Fair question. I think he certainly made progress over the course of last season. Hopefully he has beem working hard this offseason. I dont know who else will fill that spot. He is definitely more athletic than any of the other “tall” young guys we had last year and I think he has an encouraging amount of potential. Pretty excited to see him this year actually.

So far at Montana, DeCuire has played tight rotations, usually eight. I'm a big believer in a deeper rotation, in "strength in numbers." I've seen it work many times, over many years, with many different teams. Here'why:

--It keeps the entire team engaged. To know that you could enter the game at any time, maybe even a critical moment, not just garbage time, keeps a player alert.
--It's an insurance policy against injury.
--It's an insurance policy against fatigue, especially during a critical three-game playoff at the end of a grueling travel-weary (hello Big Sky!) season.
--It's a way to test your entire roster through a regular season, especially when, with a young team of seemingly equal talent (Pridgett and Manuel possible exceptions) you don't yet know who's a "gamer" and who's not.
--Finally, DeCuire's recruiting has made it possible. Used to be mid-major like Montana got maybe five, six solid D-1 players, but unlike the major programs, the quality dropped off rapidly after that. Not so with this year's team. There will be youth, yes, but quality up and down this roster. I think you could go 11-deep and not see a helluva lot of drop-off in talent--a rarity at Montana.

You wanna praise DeCuire? I'm leading the cheers, with pom-poms and bullhorns. But his tight rotations have been one area of mild disagreement. I hope it changes this year. This roster justifies it.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Absolutely, he got better every game last year

On that we agree. But I'm not sure he's ready...would love to be wrong, and hopefully he's had a productive off season. I do think regardless he plays quality minutes and is a great contributor.

Pridgett
Falls
Manuel
Owens
Anderson

I think Owens starts and plays the majority of the PF this year with Samuelson being Anderson's backup.

Contrarian lineup by mid-season:

Pridgett
Egun
Falls
Owens
Carter-Hollinger

I see Manuel as a role player and Vazquez as 6th man.

AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:

On that we agree. But I'm not sure he's ready...would love to be wrong, and hopefully he's had a productive off season. I do think regardless he plays quality minutes and is a great contributor.
I think he takes a huge step and is deserving of big minutes, but let’s also be honest. What other big would you put in front of him? Not much depth. Mack has to play big minutes and I think he takes huge leaps and plays well.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think he takes a huge step and is deserving of big minutes, but let’s also be honest. What other big would you put in front of him? Not much depth. Mack has to play big minutes and I think he takes huge leaps and plays well.
:thumb:

There were quite a few post / forwards better than Samuelson the years he played in the Frontier.

rosco said:
There were quite a few post / forwards better than Samuelson the years he played in the Frontier.

maybe some of them should have considered transferring to Montana

My starting 5 isnt very different than most people but I would like to try and offer a few new pieces of insight elsewhere.

Even though he was playing at the NAIA level, Samuelson shot 40% on over 100 attempts from 3 last season. He is familiar with how decuire wants to defend, he has played with pridgett and manuel before, and even though he is undersized I think he will make a big impact on both sides of the ball this season.

From whatching YouTube clips on Eddy Egun ive found he has blazing speed, great court vision, and solid defense. He even outdueled Kihei Clark (freshman role player on national title winning UVA team) in a high school game his senior year. It's great to see the guys we recruit have experience playing against some of the best players in the nation.
As a side note in the film I've seen of Josh Vazquez, he was the most impressive player in his team's defeat to a Sierra Canyon team that had Cassius stanley, scottie pippen jr and kenyon martin Jr. All 3 of whom are 4 star recruits if I'm not mistaken.

Lastly, I also expect freddy brown iii to get significant minutes for a walk-on. He has definitely put in the work this offseason. He always had the shooting ability, but from watching his social media it is clear that the athleticism and explosiveness are there now too. I was impressed in the few minutes he got against michigan, even though it was at the end of the game. He is also playing in Jamal Crawford's summer pro am league with and against some really talented players.

Grizbballfan14 said:
My starting 5 isnt very different than most people but I would like to try and offer a few new pieces of insight elsewhere.

Even though he was playing at the NAIA level, Samuelson shot 40% on over 100 attempts from 3 last season. He is familiar with how decuire wants to defend, he has played with pridgett and manuel before, and even though he is undersized I think he will make a big impact on both sides of the ball this season.

From whatching YouTube clips on Eddy Egun ive found he has blazing speed, great court vision, and solid defense. He even outdueled Kihei Clark (freshman role player on national title winning UVA team) in a high school game his senior year. It's great to see the guys we recruit have experience playing against some of the best players in the nation.
As a side note in the film I've seen of Josh Vazquez, he was the most impressive player in his team's defeat to a Sierra Canyon team that had Cassius stanley, scottie pippen jr and kenyon martin Jr. All 3 of whom are 4 star recruits if I'm not mistaken.

Lastly, I also expect freddy brown iii to get significant minutes for a walk-on. He has definitely put in the work this offseason. He always had the shooting ability, but from watching his social media it is clear that the athleticism and explosiveness are there now too. I was impressed in the few minutes he got against michigan, even though it was at the end of the game. He is also playing in Jamal Crawford's summer pro am league with and against some really talented players.

Good post. Thanks! :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
rosco said:

Were any of them NAIA All- Americans?

Maybe not quite few but at least two. Ryan Imhoff of Carroll was 2018 NAIA Player of Year and 1st team All American. Listed as guard (6'6") but played post extensively. Griz had tough time stopping him. Two other Frontier All-Americans in 2018: Dom Robinson (Guard from Western, 1st team) and Zachheus Darko Kelly (Guard from Western and Sentinel High, 2nd team)

In 2019, Match Burnham from Carroll (post/forward) was first team; Samuelson and Matt Wyman from Carroll (a 2 guard) were third team. Guard from LC State was second team.

Back