• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stat Talk

Many people seem to be advocating for certain individual a lil too hard. Truth is if you turn the ball over 4 times or more a game and are constantly getting outscored by the person you guarding and or missing the open man because you can only see one side of the floor you may not be as good as everyone thinks. Some players go 4 for 19 and others turn the ball over 6 times, others can't stay in front of their own shadows. We have lost games because players are still plating selfish and do not make the extra pass because they are worried about their own stats and playing time. Do people on this board understand the difference between responsibilities at each position? Stop comparing players because im sure most of you are not qualified or have even played at that level.

Callit,

If you've ever spent time on this message board, you'll know that the hoops forum is by in large the most informed and reasonable space you are going to find. Hardly the dick measuring contest the football forum constantly gets in.

We aren't going to be wholly right, because we aren't in practices, team meeting and not a lot of us are steeped in basketball theory. That doesn't mean it isn't informed and it sure as heck has little to as to whether we played the game. We have a guys who have played the game, a few journalists, a few that have coached like myself, and a number that have been following Griz hoops since the 1970's. Best basketball mind that I have been around in my twenty years of coaching at the HS level never played the game beyond the junior varsity level in High School. Don't think it is a prerequisite for conversation here or even legitimacy of an argument.

But by all means, fire away. Give us information we don't know. Anything to further the conversation.

Have a great day,

Sincerely your long winded pedestrian poster who has never played the game,

GF24

citay said:
Zirg said:
Also, Steadman touches the ball on the low-post exclusively. If he gets the ball down there, he's supposed to take it to the hole most times. That's his role. He's not gonna dish many assists from there. Bannon moves all around, so he will get far more assists. Overall, we have committed too many turnovers, no question, including Parker's jump-in-air with no clear plan what to do move. He IS a good ball-handler/passer, but that move needs to be culled from his repertoire. I agree,

Gotta disagree a bit. Passing from the post is important, especially the kick-outs to three-point shooters. In the history of basketball there have been some very good post-passing big men. I still think that three assists through, what, nine games, is extremely poor for a post player.
[/

You have a point. A post-player that draws a dbl-team should dish to an open team-mate for a wide-open shot. I think Steadman has done that more often than those 3 assists, and we've missed a lot of those shots, so it doesn't mean he hasn't tried to set up team-mates as infrequently as his paltry assist total indicates thus far.

Zirg said:
citay said:
Gotta disagree a bit. Passing from the post is important, especially the kick-outs to three-point shooters. In the history of basketball there have been some very good post-passing big men. I still think that three assists through, what, nine games, is extremely poor for a post player.

You have a point. A post-player that draws a dbl-team should dish to an open team-mate for a wide-open shot. I think Steadman has done that more often than those 3 assists, and we've missed a lot of those shots, so it doesn't mean he hasn't tried to set up team-mates as infrequently as his paltry assist total indicates thus far.

He's probably kicking out to Bannan at the 3-point line. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

He's probably kicking out to Bannan at the 3-point line. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call. I was thinking the same thing right after I posted that.

I guess I don’t know how to comment on these forums, not sure why my comment of a passing suggestion was under review.

Grizfan-24 said:
Callit,

If you've ever spent time on this message board, you'll know that the hoops forum is by in large the most informed and reasonable space you are going to find. Hardly the dick measuring contest the football forum constantly gets in.

We aren't going to be wholly right, because we aren't in practices, team meeting and not a lot of us are steeped in basketball theory. That doesn't mean it isn't informed and it sure as heck has little to as to whether we played the game. We have a guys who have played the game, a few journalists, a few that have coached like myself, and a number that have been following Griz hoops since the 1970's. Best basketball mind that I have been around in my twenty years of coaching at the HS level never played the game beyond the junior varsity level in High School. Don't think it is a prerequisite for conversation here or even legitimacy of an argument.

But by all means, fire away. Give us information we don't know. Anything to further the conversation.

Have a great day,

GF24

My view is that anyone who used to be able to touch the bottom of the net gets an automatic qualification to post. There are other ways to qualify too.

PlayerRep said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Callit,

Have a great day,

GF24

My view is that anyone who used to be able to touch the bottom of the net gets an automatic qualification to post. There are other ways to qualify too.

That eliminates me. I would require a stepladder to touch the bottom of a hoops net. :?

grizzlyjournal said:
PlayerRep said:

That eliminates me. I would require a stepladder to touch the bottom of a hoops net. :?

where I grew up, no one had the money for a net. We had to learn how to play hard, on a slant because it was in Butte. It paid off in many ways.

You can talk numbers all you want. But I’d rather talk about enigmas than numbers. And Eddy Egun is an enigma. :?:

He’s somewhere between NBA and high school, but I’m never sure exactly where! :lol:

No seriously, he’s the best pure shooter on the team, and his length a huge asset. Sometimes he gets a little rattled, but against Georgia, he looked like he belonged on the court.

AllWeatherFan said:
You can talk numbers all you want. But I’d rather talk about enigmas than numbers. And Eddy Egun is an enigma. :?:

He’s somewhere between NBA and high school, but I’m never sure exactly where! :lol:

No seriously, he’s the best pure shooter on the team, and his length a huge asset. Sometimes he gets a little rattled, but against Georgia, he looked like he belonged on the court.

I think Vasquez is the best pure shooter, but can't argue with giving Egun that title.

I often wonder why they don’t play Egun much as a 3. He is strong enough, athletic enough and tenacious enough to defend a lot of 3's, particularly in the BSC. He is also a match-up nightmare for most 3’s on the offensive end.

grizzlyjournal said:
PlayerRep said:

Stepladders are permitted. The only limitation is no more than two people holding it.

GrizBall said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I think Vasquez is the best pure shooter, but can't argue with giving Egun that title.

I often wonder why they don’t play Egun much as a 3. He is strong enough, athletic enough and tenacious enough to defend a lot of 3's, particularly in the BSC. He is also a match-up nightmare for most 3’s on the offensive end.

This is just my opinion, but I think Egun is a freak athlete and always "looks good" out there when you see him in small doses, but he really doesn't contribute in basketball terms as much as Vasquez, for sure. Vasquez is a MUCH better basketball player IMO, than Egun. Athlete? No, but you can't just rely on athletic ability at this level.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

This is just my opinion, but I think Egun is a freak athlete and always "looks good" out there when you see him in small doses, but he really doesn't contribute in basketball terms as much as Vasquez, for sure. Vasquez is a MUCH better basketball player IMO, than Egun. Athlete? No, but you can't just rely on athletic ability at this level.

I agree with this statement. But I was suggesting Egun as a small forward type (the 3 position) I think Vasquez is a very good player, but I don’t think he is big or strong enough to be an effective small forward. I was thinking more of a Whitney/Vasquez/Egun/Owens/Steadman type lineup.

GrizBall said:
Zirg said:

I agree with this statement. But I was suggesting Egun as a small forward type (the 3 position) I think Vasquez is a very good player, but I don’t think he is big or strong enough to be an effective small forward. I was thinking more of a Whitney/Vasquez/Egun/Owens/Steadman type lineup.

I agree. (I also wouldn’t dispute that Josh is the best pure shooter.) I’d like to see more “small ball” lineups at times, especially when we need an outside bucket.

Back