• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

the game

EverettGriz said:
Play that game 10 times and the Zags win at least five of them. Baylor was just far better last night, and the Zags were a tired crew, both mentally and physically. It's not always good to be unbeaten.

I don’t agree. Baylor was too big, strong and physical for Gonzaga. The Zags would win only on a very hot shooting game from 3 or a bad night by Baylor.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Play that game 10 times and the Zags win at least five of them. Baylor was just far better last night, and the Zags were a tired crew, both mentally and physically. It's not always good to be unbeaten.

I don’t agree. Baylor was too big, strong and physical for Gonzaga. The Zags would win only on a very hot shooting game from 3 or a bad night by Baylor.

Agree PR. Not only is Baylor big and strong, they are deep.

Surprised no one is critical of Few’s coaching. The strategy of forcing Timme to switch on the pick and roll and defend NBA guards in space was a critical coaching error. No disrespect to TImme because that’s a tough match-up for guards. Baylor brilliantly exploited this, got up big early and Gonzaga was never able to recover.

GrizBall said:
Surprised no one is critical of Few’s coaching. The strategy of forcing Timme to switch on the pick and roll and defend NBA guards in space was a critical coaching error. No disrespect to TImme because that’s a tough match-up for guards. Baylor brilliantly exploited this, got up big early and Gonzaga was never able to recover.

They switched all season long and had success. Gonzaga struggled to guard all night, and Kispert completely disappeared the final 2 weekends.

gotgame75 said:
EverettGriz said:
Absolutely no excuses. Not that Few or anyone associated with the Zag program would make them in any event. But if you don't believe that both physical and emotional exhaustion played a part in that game, I'm at a loss as to what to say. Baylor is terrific, and was my pick to be champion. Saying the Zags were tired bunch doesn't take ANYthing away from Baylor.

As for playing top teams, the Zags scheduled Kansas, Auburn, West VA, Baylor, Iowa and Virginia (Baylor was canceled due to Covid). They won all of those games by 10 or more with the exception of WV. Three of those teams finished in the TOP FIVE in the nation, two more were in the top 20. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think weak scheduling is an issue....

While I definitely agree that exhaustion was a factor, it also appeared clear to me that Gonzaga was outclassed athletically at a few positions. That's not to say that Gonzaga doesn't have elite athletes either, rather that Baylor has superior athleticism on average across their entire lineup. I've just never seen such relentless, athletic team defense. It was really fun to watch. The way the Bears were able to deny Timme in the post was a sight to behold.

Baylor under Drew has always had teams that play relentless D like the Pitino Louisville teams. This year they have some guys who can fill it up at an elite level to go with that D. Houston plays the same style and Baylor destroyed them Saturday, and that was when I figured they would win it all even though I was rooting for Gonzaga all along. Baylor took them out of their offense completely and would do the same if they played again. I'd bet Baylor would win 7 out of 10 if that went down. They are the better team without out a doubt whether I wanted the Zags to win or not.

Sounds like Few has signed the #13 recruit and is going to get #1, a 7 footer from Minnesota. He's getting more talent, eventually he's going to win the big one.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

They switched all season long and had success. Gonzaga struggled to guard all night, and Kispert completely disappeared the final 2 weekends.

All their guys save for the 5's could take Timme off the bounce and Kispert did disappear (had a green shirt in his jock last night), but you can't compare the quickness of the team D. Compared to Baylor the Zags looked like slomo outside of Suggs.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

According to NBAdraft.net Baylor guards will be the 15th and the 37th picks in the draft. Gonzaga faced no other teams with better guards.

What they had success all season with was not relevant to Baylor.

GrizBall said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

According to NBAdraft.net Baylor guards will be the 15th and the 37th picks in the draft. Gonzaga faced no other teams with better guards.

I am amazed that you aren't coaching a top 5 D1 team...just amazed.

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Don't disagree that Gonzaga could beat Baylor in "some" out of ten. Can't quite buy the "tired crew" comment though. College kids aren't going to be "tired" for a national title game they've been gearing towards all season. Always interesting how "tired" comes into conversations that also include "loss". Gonzaga was proven to be a very good team that lacked a bit defensively in each of its last two games. Baylor's defense was the difference in the game.

:thumb:

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

Chock?

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

Did Kispert wear those geeky-looking all-white full leg sleeves all year? They made him look white and slow. :D

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizBall said:

Actually I am more amazed that I haven’t coached a Super Bowl champ because I would have handed off to Marshawn on the goal line.

GrizBall said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Actually I am more amazed that I haven’t coached a Super Bowl champ because I would have handed off to Marshawn on the goal line.

:lol:

GrizBall said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

http://www.korkedbats.com/2013/12/12/this-guys-head-coaching-resume-is-fantastic-cites-video-game-accomplishments/

Latest posts

Back