• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This team is?

keena52

What happened tonight was quite strange. Down 20, and don’t give up was amazing. Why we got down 20 was also amazing. This team is super good, but how did we let that happen? Proud of this team, and we played without two starters tonight. If there is a good loss this might be it, only because we didn’t have two studs, ref’s sucked for everyone in tourney, and GSU was a pretty good team! Lessons learned Go Griz!

This loss bodes well for the 2018/2019 Griz! Obviously winning the game is preferred, but the old cliche "this builds character" rings true, with a major comeback, against a quality opponent, without 2 starting players.

GrizLA said:
Missed free throws burn the Griz and probably not for the last time this year.
They missed only 5. Didn't get to the line anywhere near as much as Georgia Southern.

'68griz said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
GrizLA said:
Missed free throws burn the Griz and probably not for the last time this year.
They missed only 5. Didn't get to the line anywhere near as much as Georgia Southern.
yes, and had they made just 3.....

No, they made 10 FTs.

yes they made 10 and my point is had they made 3 more or even 4 the outcome might be different. Free throws are a huge part of the game and UM, being the team they are, should be making all of them or at least 85%.

GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:

No, they made 10 FTs.

yes they made 10 and my point is had they made 3 more or even 4 the outcome might be different. Free throws are a huge part of the game and UM, being the team they are, should be making all of them or at least 85%.

LA, 85% as a team is outrageous. Great FT shooters are 80%. 85% is terrific, 90% is among the best. Beyond that is legendary. 75% is a realistic goal for a team.

mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
GrizLA said:

No, they made 10 FTs.

LA, 85% as a team is outrageous. Great FT shooters are 80%. 85% is terrific, 90% is among the best. Beyond that is legendary. 75% is a realistic goal for a team.

What it comes down to is being aggressive. GSU was the aggressor for most of the night and it showed in two crucial categories: Rebounds (in the first half) and FTs. They got into the lane with ease for too long and were rewarded with more FT. That's where they won the game. It was the same story with Miami. They kept the game close with FT as well. We have to do a better job all game attacking the rim and getting to the line. Shit, it's what our team is built for. I think Travis thought so, too, as we were much more aggressive in the second half and did just that. Loved the heart I saw from our team tonight. I feel sorry for the teams that come after this loss. I think we are going to see some serious ass-kicking.

A combination of good and bad.

Good:
--This team has heart. You can't coach heart.
--The shooting averages are up from last year. Manuel and Dorsey are a big plus here. Maybe we can avoid those awful prolonged scoring droughts we sometimes had last year.
--The rotation seems set. Anderson is our other big. I think he has a big upside. By the tournament, he will be playing like a sophomore.
--Manuel is better than I thought he'd be.

Bad:
--These dreadful starts, a la last year against Georgia State and UCSB. Basketball is war, especially for inner-city kids. It's a full-on, in-your-face-disgrace ego-trip, right from the opening tip. Draymond Green? A rattlesnake on amphetamines.
Our kids? I've often felt they reflect Montanans in general, their friendliness and western-gentleman code of ethics. It's as if our kids approach some games like backyard croquet or a friendly game of golf. Once they've been kicked in the balls and their noses bloodied, they begin to fight like hell. But start a fight? Not our kids. They're just too nice. They need to put more venom into these games right from the start--not at halftime. I mean, when this team, with its defensive prowess, gives up 60% shooting, you have to say, they just weren't ready to play.
--Injuries. Here we go again. Last year Dorsey, this year Akoh and maybe Falls. When you're a Montana, and you fancy yourself taking on the big-boys of college basketball, you have a razor-thin margin for injuries. Power Five conferences might have the depth. But this year, we do not. I hope we can get healthy again, and this doesn't become a season-long issue.

The NCAA average for FT% is 68 pecent. Good teams shoot in the 70's. Yes they didn't shoot great from the FT line but to expect 13/15 which is what you are implying which is 86% is unrealistic.

In the first half there was no ball movement on offense. They were playing 1 on 5 settling for contested jump shots or driving it into 2 defenders. In the second half They made the extra pass and got higher percentage shots. The defense stopped being slap happy and made them convert baskets for the most part instead of free throws. They played very well in the second half just ran out of time.

mtgrizfankb said:
The NCAA average for FT% is 68 pecent. Good teams shoot in the 70's. Yes they didn't shoot great from the FT line but to expect 13/15 which is what you are implying which is 86% is unrealistic.

When you are a team like Montana, not quite top 30 and playing for national recognition and the refs give you the ball and the opportunity to score unimpeded, then you better be better than average. Otherwise, that is what you will be.

GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:

No, they made 10 FTs.

Guess you didn't realize that not a single team is shooting 85% from the FT line and only 16 shot better than 80%. If you would have said 75%, I would have been onboard.

grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
GrizLA said:

No, they made 10 FTs.

Guess you didn't realize that not a single team is shooting 85% from the FT line and only 16 shot better than 80%. If you would have said 75%, I would have been onboard.

GrizLA has high standards. For others.

astutegriz said:
grizindabox said:
GrizLA said:
'68griz said:
No, they made 10 FTs.

GrizLA has high standards. For others.
For myself, yes. Can't speak for others.

Latest posts

Back