• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

To Make the Michigan Game Worse

PlayerRep said:
Big Sage said:
If we were in a better conference and made it to the dance, we would never see anything worse than a #12

Another possibility is that if UM was in a better conference, it wouldn't get to the NCAA Tourney. One advantage of big fish in small pond is an increased chance of making the tourney.

MW Nevada. One and done. Will lose 7 seniors. Utah St. One and done.

Better conferences and higher seeds don't necessarily result in ncaa wins.

Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Big Sage said:
PlayerRep said:
Big Sage said:
If we were in a better conference and made it to the dance, we would never see anything worse than a #12

Another possibility is that if UM was in a better conference, it wouldn't get to the NCAA Tourney. One advantage of big fish in small pond is an increased chance of making the tourney.

Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Don't know. I always thought quote was stupid.

UM isn't trying to to the same thing over and over again. They have new players every year. The coaches have new strategies. The assistant coaches change. The head coach changes from time to time.

Better conferences made up of better teams competing against each other weekly will eventually translate to more Big Dance wins. Remaining in a weak conference will never improve an individual team, nor is it an asset in recruiting.

I think we’re tired of getting a #14 or #15, getting our hopes up, then getting our balls kicked in! I know I am.

Well one positive I guess. As bad as we shot we scored more points than Florida did against Michigan. 😅

The margin of victory was 19 points or more in 25% of the first round games and not many of those teams faced a defense as good as Michigan plays. A number 10 Florida got beat by 15 versus Michigan a 2 seed. A number 12 Murray State got beat by 28 by a number 4. I am not embarrassed for the Griz. In fact I am proud of them. We played good defense in spite of being outsized and we showed no quit. The poor shooting killed us but those things happen. Seeding is always going to be a problem and if we are lucky we may get a 13 seed and at best a 12. Even if that happens a victory from those positions would be considered an upset.

I think its time to give credit where credit is due. We had a great year and the coaches and players should be commended for their performance while facing a lot of adversity and for what they have accomplished - Conference Champions and Tournament Champions. Michigan should also be given credit. They are a good team and now on their way to the Sweet 16. I share the disappointment shared by the Griz, the staff and the fans. All the second guessing and complaining is ridiculous IMO. We should be thankful for what we have while we have it. I can guarantee you that we would not have finished 3rd in the Big 10 like Michigan did. Success does not last forever. Enjoy the moment

Good post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Griz1 said:
We had a great year and the coaches and players should be commended for their performance while facing a lot of adversity and for what they have accomplished - Conference Champions and Tournament Champions.
Michigan should also be given credit. They are a good team and now on their way to the Sweet 16. I share the disappointment shared by the Griz, the staff and the fans. All the second guessing and complaining is ridiculous IMO. We should be thankful for what we have while we have it. I can guarantee you that we would not have finished 3rd in the Big 10 like Michigan did. Success does not last forever. Enjoy the moment

Didn't the Griz stay with Michigan last year in the first half? I think only down by 3 at half time. Then it seems like we didn't make a shot for the first 12 minutes in the second half. It seems that team speed is a killer. We have two players to their 6 with those special powers, speed or whatever it is that the other guys have. LOL

PlayerRep said:
Big Sage said:

Very true statement. I'm not convinced the conference had as much to do with our seeding as the games against Creighton, Arizona and Irvine. Want a better seed? Then win those type games. Creighton and Arizona were in down years, and both crushed us. That can't happen. We win 2 of those 3 games, even in the down year for them....we have a better seed.

We are scheduling better schools, but not beating them is hurting our seeding late in the year. The selection committee members said multiple times, those are the time games they look at. Gonzaga got to the top by winning games they were not supposed to. In doing so, they improved the quality of their conference overall because some of the WCC had to improve to at least compete, although Saint Mary's has had the best success overall against them.

Win the games you are supposed to, win against other strong programs, and pull an upset or two...13 and 14 seeds would be waiting, no matter how bad the Big Sky is.

Regardless of seed, we need a legit big guy to compete in March. Our best showings in recent years against New Mexico and Nevada, we had that big guy.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
Big Sage said:

Very true statement. I'm not convinced the conference had as much to do with our seeding as the games against Creighton, Arizona and Irvine. Want a better seed? Then win those type games. Creighton and Arizona were in down years, and both crushed us. That can't happen. We win 2 of those 3 games, even in the down year for them....we have a better seed.

We are scheduling better schools, but not beating them is hurting our seeding late in the year. The selection committee members said multiple times, those are the time games they look at. Gonzaga got to the top by winning games they were not supposed to. In doing so, they improved the quality of their conference overall because some of the WCC had to improve to at least compete, although Saint Mary's has had the best success overall against them.

Win the games you are supposed to, win against other strong programs, and pull an upset or two...13 and 14 seeds would be waiting, no matter how bad the Big Sky is.

Great post, in just winning out of conference games from within the Big Sky to get a better seed. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Back