• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transfer Rule to Help UM

Hoops watcher said:
When Rorie and Bruenig and Manuel came they were the sole transfer, unlike close to a quarter of the roster like last season. That seems like it would be far easier to integrate new teammates singly versus 3 or 4 as we found out. I'd guess the staff will try to keep upping the level of our HS recruits and add transfer talent if it fits in the big picture of need (Griz leaving or injury).

I think people are overestimating the amount of quality talent that will end up in te Big Sky. Easy to forget we had a down year, worst since Tinks' second year if I'm remembering right and that we usually have at least 2 and sometimes 3 on all conference squads, so last year was a historical outlier. Just a take like everyone else, no one really knows how this thing will shake out for a couple years. Baylor was heavy on transfers so the usual suspects will probably try to mimic them until it quits working. Big Sky teams won't be able to bring in guys that good, so a complete retool could fizzle like UM last season as often as it succeeds. I trust the staff will weigh the options carefully to keep the program at a high level for our peers.

Obviously we didn't recruit the right transfers, as evidenced by the All-Conference teams, which were filled with transfers from other schools. Recruiting transfers is similar to recruiting high school kids. You gotta sign the right ones. Looks like some of the Big Sky teams did a better job of signing transfers than we did.
Not sure why so much is being posted about transfers "fitting-in". All players on the roster must "fit-in" whether they are high schoolers or transfers. Baylor was mentioned as having several transfers. Looks like they fit-in very nicely. And Weber had quite a few transfers on their team last year, who are all coming back this season. And Weber should be very good this season playing those transfers.

I think the defense shown by Griz fans of the way Travis has built his team with mostly high school recruits is predictable, since most fans will always support their coach. But, I believe that Travis must tweak that philosophy now to remain competitive, because the rules for transferring teams has changed. You adapt to change, or fall behind the pack.

Anyway, this has been a good discussion.

It seems to me that UM has recruited lots of transfers in the last year or two. Some worked out; some didn't.

Under the new rules, a transfer must fit-in right away in order to contribute right away. High school recruits have more time to adopt the fit-in thing.

A significant problem with transfers is that they can come with bad habits learned at the prior school or come with a big-head thinking they are entitled to start or get big minutes without putting in the required effort. For the latter thing, see Satterwhite.

My impression is that Travis' system and manner of coaching may require more buy-in and discipline. I like how he's able to get most of his teams, even newer teams, running on all cylinders as the season goes on. This may be harder or less doable with the new portal/transfer rules and activity.

I agree that dealing with transfers coming more frequently is something that coaches will probably have to deal with.

Rorie and Breuniq were exceptional transfers, no matter how you look at them.

I'm just a fly on the wall, but the transfer portal has made a mess for fans and teams. The players get a little freedom to do what they want, besides getting a full-ride scholarship from a school that has invested a lot into them (which may or may not be made use of). The fans don't know who to cheer for, and the schools have to "double" their recruiting budget (WAG).

It seems like the portal is here to stay until the big money schools find it less useful, but right now they get to cherry pick to build up their rosters while smaller schools get the left-overs. I think it will have a big drop off next year, although I could be mistaken on that - the rules may not be what I think they are. Supposing there's a pent-up demand to transfer, a good percentage of it happened this year. There will still be transfers, but you only get one "free" without having to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility - thus the possible big drop off.

Sorry for the rambling. I'll go back into the shadows and sit on the wall again.

Back