• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM is 5th best average ranked FCS team in past 3 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthoopsfan

Montana has the 5th best average FCS post-season ranking in the past 3 seasons. Average rank of 8.67.

NDSU, MSU, and SDS have higher average rank. So does SS, but barely. Its average rank is 8. Last season was the only season SS was ranked higher than the Griz.

Feel free to check my stats. I had only 1 of the 3 years in hard copy, and the other 2 were online, and got rushed as I finished. I used the STATS polls. And only teams still in FCS.

mthoopsfan said:
Isn’t this evidence of RTD?
second best team in the state, with a losing record against the cats, zero conference titles, after having his recruits a sixth place conference finish in 2022 ? That is not vey "dominant"

Ursus1 said:
mthoopsfan said:
second best team in the state, with a losing record against the cats, zero conference titles, after having his recruits a sixth place conference finish in 2022 ? That is not vey "dominant"

You are describing one year. Over 3 seasons, UM has had the 5th best average post-season ranking in FCS. Why can't you just admit that? The Big Sky is currently the top FCS conference. UM played a tough schedule last season and had some bad luck. MSU apparently hasn't played SS since 2015. The Cats will get their due this season.

Yes, NDSU is now the 2d best team in ND too.

mthoopsfan said:
Ursus1 said:

You are describing one year. Over 3 seasons, UM has had the 5th best average post-season ranking in FCS. Why can't you just admit that? The Big Sky is currently the top FCS conference. UM played a tough schedule last season and had some bad luck. MSU apparently hasn't played SS since 2015. The Cats will get their due this season.

OK, three years....still second best in the state a 1-2 record against the Cats. How did UM compare in conference standings vs the Cats for the last 3 years? If you are using a predicted flop from the Cats this year to make UM dominant, better wait until both teams play the games. You are saying North Dakota has finished above NDSU? You do realize South Dakota State isn't in North Dakota.....if not there is a more serious issue here than Bobbyblindness

Speaking of dominance, here is a quote from 406 Sports article from yesterday's Shrine game:

Montana State dominated in-state recruiting in 2023
If the Montana East-West Shrine Game reinforced one thing, it's that Montana State shined in the 2023 recruiting class in terms of in-state prospects.

Ursus1 said:
mthoopsfan said:

OK, three years....still second best in the state a 1-2 record against the Cats. How did UM compare in conference standings vs the Cats for the last 3 years? If you are using a predicted flop from the Cats this year to make UM dominant, better wait until both teams play the games. You are saying North Dakota has finished above NDSU? You do realize South Dakota State isn't in North Dakota.....if not there is a more serious issue here than Bobbyblindness

Speaking of dominance, here is a quote from 406 Sports article from yesterday's Shrine game:

Montana State dominated in-state recruiting in 2023
If the Montana East-West Shrine Game reinforced one thing, it's that Montana State shined in the 2023 recruiting class in terms of in-state prospects.

The Cats are one of the 4 teams ranked above UM in the average post-season polls over the past 3 years. That's what I already said.

I saw the quote. Are the 4 guys listed the top MT recruits in their class? I don't know. What did VIM say?

Edit: Only 1 guy in article, Jones, the RB, is in Vim's top 6 recruits (as of12/22). Not sure that the Griz need another rb, and the guy recruited for this fall is apparently great. Would Jones want to compete with him for 4 years?

"The Rare Ones"
1-QB/ATH- ATH- Reed Harris 6' 5" 210 (Great Falls HS) Great Falls, MT (Boston College Verbal)
2-OL- Jacob Anderson 6'6" 260 (Billings West) (Oregon State Verbal)

"The Blue Chips"
3-***ATH- Hayden Opitz 6' 3" 210 (Helena Capital) (GRIZ VERBAL)
4-WR/RB- Adam Jones 6'1" 180 (Missoula Sentinel) (kitten verbal)
5- ATH/QB- Cole Taylor 6'3" 205 (CMR) (kitten verbal)
6-OL- Zach Tierney 6'4" 260 (Butte) (MT Tech Verbal)
7-***RB/LB- Clay Oven 6' 2" 200 (Billings Central) (GRIZ VERBAL)"

Guys listed in Shrine article: "Duchien, Sharbono, Talon Marsh or Adam Jones,"

Yawn....... pig lipstick painting #27. Hoops, you do realize, of course, that your credibility is now at an all-time low.

Now, please spend countless hours compiling meaningless stats which lamely attempt to make Bobby's accomplishments look good.

thirdandlong said:
Yawn....... pig lipstick painting #27. Hoops, you do realize, of course, that your credibility is now at an all-time low.

Now, please spend countless hours compiling meaningless stats which lamely attempt to make Bobby's accomplishments look good.

Why are you so afraid to deal with the facts? Oh, I know, you just stick to your Narrative. We should call you Narrative Guy.

My credibility is terrific.

Ursus1 said:
mthoopsfan said:

What do you mean, season hasn't even started and little bobby already has 7 tackles.

So I had some time today and dug into this because I thought it would be interesting to look at.

I looked at every Stats final poll since 2018 (excluding the 2020-2021 season, because...well...UM and MSU didn't play in it and I think it was too wonky to include), taking every team's final ranking and averaged them. If they were outside the top 25, I gave them a 10-point penalty, because I can't give them a proper placement without way more work than this deserves. :lol:

So for example, we finished outside the top 25 in 2018, so we got 35 points for that season. Same goes for every other team that also did so.

Since 2018, here is where every team stacks up:

North Dakota State 1.25
James Madison 4.67
South Dakota State 5.25
Montana State 6.75
Weber State 13.25
Kennesaw State 14.50
Sacramento State 15.00
Montana 15.25
Southeastern Louisiana 20.00
Southeast Missouri State 20.25
Eastern Washington 20.25
UC Davis 20.75
UIW 21.50
Northern Iowa 22.00
Villanova 23.25
Dartmouth 24.25
Holy Cross 24.50
Nicholls 24.50
Sam Houston 24.67
Furman 24.75
East Tennessee State 24.75
Wofford 25.00
Princeton 25.50
Jackson State 26.25
North Carolina A&T 26.25
Elon 26.50
Maine 27.25
Samford 28.00
Illinois State 28.00
William & Mary 28.25
Delaware 28.25
Colgate 28.25
Austin Peay 28.75
Jacksonville State 28.75
Richmond 29.00
Central Arkansas 29.00
UT Martin 29.25
New Hampshire 29.50
Monmouth 29.50
Missouri State 29.75
Florida A&M 29.75
Stony Brook 30.25
Southern Illinois 30.50
Idaho 30.75
Stephen F. Austin 30.75
North Dakota 31.25
South Dakota 31.25
Albany 31.25
Towson 31.25
North Carolina Central 31.50
Duquesne 31.50
Fordham 31.75
Central Connecticut 31.75
Chattanooga 32.00
Mercer 32.25
Yale 32.25
San Diego 32.50

We're 8th, right ahead of SELA, which...not exactly the best company. The 35 points in 2018 really drag us down, so in line with what hoops said, let's look at it since 2019:

North Dakota State 1.33
James Madison 2.50
Montana State 3.33
South Dakota State 6.00
Sacramento State 8.33
Montana 8.67
Southeastern Louisiana 15.00
Weber State 15.67
UIW 17.00
Kennesaw State 17.67
Villanova 19.33
Sam Houston 19.50
Holy Cross 21.00
Furman 21.33
Northern Iowa 21.67
Southeast Missouri State 22.00
Jackson State 23.33
UC Davis 25.33
Samford 25.67
East Tennessee State 25.67
Illinois State 25.67
William & Mary 26.00
Eastern Washington 26.33
Dartmouth 26.33
Austin Peay 26.67
Richmond 27.00
Central Arkansas 27.00
UT Martin 27.33
New Hampshire 27.67
Monmouth 27.67
Nicholls 28.00
Missouri State 28.00
Florida A&M 28.00
Wofford 29.00
Elon 29.00
Southern Illinois 29.00
Idaho 29.33
Stephen F. Austin 29.33
Delaware 29.67
North Dakota 30.00
South Dakota 30.00
Albany 30.00
Princeton 30.33
North Carolina Central 30.33
Fordham 30.67
Central Connecticut 30.67
North Carolina A&T 31.00
Chattanooga 31.00
Mercer 31.33
Yale 31.33
Maine 35.00
Colgate 35.00
Jacksonville State 35.00
Stony Brook 35.00
Towson 35.00
Duquesne 35.00
San Diego 35.00

So he's right, if you take out 2018 and remove JMU because they aren't here anymore, we do have the 5th-best final placement out of every FCS team since 2019. This looks a lot better, putting us up closer to the better teams like Sac, MSU, and........SELA....damn. :lol:

To me, this kind of points to everyone being able to see what they want here. There really have only been 6 teams better than us over the last 4 full seasons, which is honestly a lot less than I would've expected and goes to show how hard it is to stay consistently good, even in FCS.

On the other hand, Southeastern Louisiana State, a team no one would consider dominant AT ALL is only one spot behind us no matter if we exclude our awful 2018 season. I'm honestly surprised at how fast everything drops off after the top 4-5 teams.

You will notice that there are clear tiers of teams with drop-offs after them: MSU, SDSU, and NDSU have obviously been the best teams, but there's also a large drop-off after us in both views, suggesting that while we haven't been in the elite tier, we're still in a defined 2nd tier above the other playoff teams.

So yeah, if RTD means in that 1st tier, we aren't there (yet, I hope), but I think it should give at least a little more perspective that even with 2 seasons many would consider awful, we could be doing a lot worse.

Feel free to use this as fodder for your arguments. :lol:

Thx, 1122.

It is undeniable that the Griz are already a top program under Hauck. It is undeniable that the Big Sky is a top conference. It is undeniable that Hauck is the right coach for the Griz.

It is undeniable that posters who refuse to use the facts, post mainly based on their Narratives, are biased, are lazy and don't do their homework, etc., are full of it and are frequently wrong. And they complain about way too much about things, on which they are wrong.

mthoopsfan said:
Thx, 1122.

It is undeniable that the Griz are already a top program under Hauck. It is undeniable that the Big Sky is a top conference. It is undeniable that Hauck is the right coach for the Griz.

It is undeniable that posters who refuse to use the facts, post mainly based on their Narratives, are biased, are lazy and don't do their homework, etc., are full of it and are frequently wrong. And they complain about way too much about things, on which they are wrong.

You say that because he's "your guy" and because you pushed for (and possibly paid for) getting him back on the promise of RTD... so now you're all in with Bobby, damn the results. He hasn't proven jack this 2nd go round, in terms of RTD. Return To Dominance is what that stands for. the griz have not dominated the conference at all, haven't dominated the Cats whatsoever, and of course have not dominated on the national scale, not even close. The griz have dominated crappy teams, and that's it. Somehow I don't think that's what you all had in mind with RTD. So the question becomes, when is the RTD happening? 2023? 2024? 2030?

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
Thx, 1122.

You say that because he's "your guy" and because you pushed for (and possibly paid for) getting him back on the promise of RTD... so now you're all in with Bobby, damn the results. He hasn't proven jack this 2nd go round, in terms of RTD. Return To Dominance is what that stands for. the griz have not dominated the conference at all, haven't dominated the Cats whatsoever, and of course have not dominated on the national scale, not even close. The griz have dominated crappy teams, and that's it. Somehow I don't think that's what you all had in mind with RTD. So the question becomes, when is the RTD happening? 2023? 2024? 2030?

Hauck got the Griz back to being ranked nos. 6, 6 and 14, and making the playoffs and winning playoff games those years, as well as kicking the Cats' asses in year 3. He has proved a lot already. The Griz dominated the Cats in year 3. The Cats haven't played Sac St since 2015, taking the easy way out. RTD has already happened. As this thread shows, the Griz have the 5th best average ranking over the past 4 years. You are another poster who can't stick with the facts; just your narrative. I can't wait for the Griz to kick the Cats' butts in the fall.

How's your men's basketball team looking? Will you win any conference games?

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:

Hauck got the Griz back to being ranked nos. 6, 6 and 14, and making the playoffs and winning playoff games those years, as well as kicking the Cats' asses in year 3. He has proved a lot already. The Griz dominated the Cats in year 3. The Cats haven't played Sac St since 2015, taking the easy way out. RTD has already happened. As this thread shows, the Griz have the 5th best average ranking over the past 4 years. You are another poster who can't stick with the facts; just your narrative. I can't wait for the Griz to kick the Cats' butts in the fall.

Is this actually true? That’s absolutely ridiculous if so.

CDAGRIZ said:
mthoopsfan said:

Is this actually true? That’s absolutely ridiculous if so.
They haven't beaten them since 2015, but they played them in 2016 and 2019 and lost both games.

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:

Bwahahahaha. Great deflecting there. So you're punting, and not going to answer the question? Exactly what is the griz football dominating? Fifth place? Yep, you certainly are rocking that.

Oh, and do you honestly think the griz will have any chance of slowing down the Cat offense next fall? With the likes of Mellott, Chambers, Sumner, Coon, Snell, Johnson, Pickering, White..... the list goes on, behind that dominant O Line? Good luck with that.

poorgriz said:
Oh, and do you honestly think the griz will have any chance of slowing down the Cat offense next fall? With the likes of Mellott, Chambers, Sumner, Coon, Snell, Johnson, Pickering, White..... the list goes on, behind that dominant O Line? Good luck with that.

The first two will get injured, and nobody has heard of the rest of them. You guys had that really good RB who was often injured, but he bailed for greener pastures after a controversial decision made by the staff if I recall correctly. Could be wrong.

mthoopsfan said:
Thx, 1122.

I agree. I actually believe the best team under Hauck on this go around still has to be the 2019 team. They broke the mold and brought back the standard of excellence that year. They dominated on offense and had an amazing defense with that year's Defensive Player of the Year, as well. As well, their schedule was probably the strongest schedule the Griz have had in the past four years. The talent on that team was ridiculous, and really set the tone for each year following that the Griz were going to be a force to deal with. If it were not for the 2020 heartbreak of losing a season to COVID, who knows what may have been with that particular group. Yes, they lost to the Cats, but it seemed as if they were to play again it could have gone differently. I know Hauck liked last year's guys a lot (which included a few of those guys), but it is hard to look at 2019 and not say it was a very special group for sure. I think this year will be a real test as to how well it is really all going with this regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back