• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Utah State head coach leaving. Temp Rollie back?

go96griz said:
tgreseth said:
as i recollect from previous posts on the subject, Rollie wanted to play football his senior year and DeCuire wasn't having it...or something to that effect

The story I heard had Rollie attending UM team football camp with Hellgate players prior to his senior year. This just happened to be at the time there was basketball camp or some other basketball activity. Travis found out when Rollie wasn’t at basketball and called a meeting to question Rollie’s commitment to basketball. Parents got involved, things escalated and Rollie de-committed. This was told to me a while ago so I may have missed a detail or two. Obviously, I can’t confirm this is actually what went down, but I trust my source. It seemed like both sides were disappointed with communication from the other.

If this is, indeed, what happened, and why, then Rollie and I are very similar in our attitudes. I know it would be a cold day in hell before I would return to TD. Beyond that...

tourist said:
go96griz said:
The story I heard had Rollie attending UM team football camp with Hellgate players prior to his senior year. This just happened to be at the time there was basketball camp or some other basketball activity. Travis found out when Rollie wasn’t at basketball and called a meeting to question Rollie’s commitment to basketball. Parents got involved, things escalated and Rollie de-committed. This was told to me a while ago so I may have missed a detail or two. Obviously, I can’t confirm this is actually what went down, but I trust my source. It seemed like both sides were disappointed with communication from the other.

If this is, indeed, what happened, and why, then Rollie and I are very similar in our attitudes. I know it would be a cold day in hell before I would return to TD. Beyond that...

I highly doubt coach Decuire is even considering offering him another chance, so it’s probably a mutual no-go at this point. That said, I’d happily eat crow if I’m wrong.

What background information I have found, is that TDC did not/could not communicate with RW. In short, he ran him off. Stupidity. My way or the highway. A Missoula kid, yet. A freshman. :roll:

tourist said:
What background information I have found, is that TDC did not/could not communicate with RW. In short, he ran him off. Stupidity. My way or the highway. A Missoula kid, yet. A freshman. :roll:

"Ran him off" just straight up isn't accurate. It has been mentioned here several times, and I also happen to know for a fact, that this was a mutual decision. Both sides had a big part in how this turned out. As a HC, I would definitely be taken aback if I handed out a scholarship to someone and found out they were pursuing other athletic endeavors that I was not 100% aware of. Personalities clash sometimes, let's not turn this into some sort of indictment of TDC's demeanor.

Also, let's be real here, most kids are going to (and should) choose Utah State over Montana for athletics. The fact is Rollie's recruiting stock soared during his senior year and his options got bigger and better. It makes it an easy call then when you have tension with a coach before you've even attended a practice.

Back