• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vidlak to the portal

Honestly surprised it took this long. Has talent, but seems like he might need to chase that dream at a lower level of football. I hear McNeese is taking used quaterbacks at the moment.

Is this cause to get another QB to compete for the starting job or does it even affect the competition?

Is there enough time to get a QB transfer in before summer PRP's or do they go into fall camp with 4 QB's.

Vidlak had obviously slid into the 3rd or 4th spot so do they bring on another player to develop?

At the very least the new transfer rules have sure made the off season more interesting...

Is this cause to get another QB to compete for the starting job or does it even affect the competition?

Is there enough time to get a QB transfer in before summer PRP's or do they go into fall camp with 4 QB's.

Vidlak had obviously slid into the 3rd or 4th spot so do they bring on another player to develop?

At the very least the new transfer rules have sure made the off season more interesting...
I think a lot of options are still available.

Reminder that McDowell showed up only a few weeks before fall camp last year.

Evidently coach doesn’t want a pocket passing QB. He wasn’t real mobile, so he gets less reps. Time to move on. Good luck to the kid hope he finds what he is looking for!

Not sure, but they did great last year. National Championship run. Just great. Probably more of the same this year.
Not trying to start a war or anything, but we have had a better run than people give it credit for.

2019 - Sneed was awesome. Still one of my favorite Griz QB's of all time. Loved that dude and what he brought to every game.

2021 - Humphrey. He was damn solid. Beat Washington. Made great reads, wasn't the most mobile guy but he always seemed to be pretty comfortable that year and knew where he needed to get the ball, and got it there. I'm not saying we WOULD have beat JMU if he and Akem had been playing, but even with our QB and top receiving weapon on the sidelines we were down 14-3 at half. The final score looks ugly, but that was a game where we just couldn't get the QB position rolling.

2022 -- Johnson. Again, tough injury, but before he went down he was playing lights out. We have all rehashed this enough, and I know others disagree with my assessment.

2023 - McDowell. As with last time, we've all rehashed opinions. I loved much of what he brought to the table, and I am very thankful he was here. I give him a lot of credit for turning the season around. He seemed to bring a fire that got the o line and other players going. In my opinion.

We have also brought in some good dudes. We had gotten the Vidlak commit before he left. Oregon St and Boise St liked him too, obviously, so he was looking good to other credible evaluators. He probably never got a long enough chance to really develop with coaching changes thrown at him and then moves made. I liked Britt. I thought he was an awesome recruit. We brought in Luke Flowers and Sliter, both of whom were highly successful at their levels. Ah Yat is someone we are all excited about. Huot has been out of high school long enough that maybe we forget how good he was in high school, and he showed a lot in the spring. Minnesota wanted Fife before we snagged him away, that says something.

I think we've been having much better QB rooms than people realize. Pease's offensive tweaks made a strong difference too, this last year. There were many things corrected that had not been previously the QB's faults, necessarily.

Just read your post after I submitted mine, Elrod. Very good, and detailed. Think of my post as the Cliff's Notes version...
Double edged sword. Sneed, Humphrey, Johnson, McDowell on one side, Brown, Vidlak on the other side. More pluses than negatives. Walk-aways on each. Just wondered who get credited or discredited.

Just read your post after I submitted mine, Elrod. Very good, and detailed. Think of my post as the Cliff's Notes version...
Double edged sword. Sneed, Humphrey, Johnson, McDowell on one side, Brown, Vidlak on the other side. More pluses than negatives. Walk-aways on each. Just wondered who get credited or discredited.
If I'm honest with you, I couldn't tell you how the flow goes. I know that we have a recruiting coordinator and analysts and coaches. If you want my honest belief, these guys are constantly watching film and passing it around when they see kids they like. It has gotten really easy for coaches to do that, and do it quickly. Justin Green has a big role in that realm, but I don't know the work flow.

I think that if you asked the head coach, he would always tell you it comes back to him good or bad on who they are recruiting. But what the work flow is that funnels information, I genuinely couldn't tell you. What I will say is that I recently heard more about how much our coaches travel and visit high schools and recruit's locations, and man, I'm not sure you could pay me enough to have that job and be on the road like that in addition to the hours during the season.

It seems like the griz what a quarterback who is a winner the minute he hits the ground if he has past experience.The coaches are coaching for their jobs.The fans along with the college want a strong winning team. Vidlak was given several chances but what it showed was he is not what the griz needed in a quarterback.Pretty simple IMO.

Darn, I was hoping Vidlak would figure it out or catch fire. Two starts last fall, and then he seemed to disappear. Good luck to him.

In my opinion Vidlak was a cerebral QB with not good instincts. He was a smart kid who could read the defense, and pick up the playbook fast which helped him excel into the starting spot last year in front of McDowell. But when things broke down or you're in a situation where you have to rely more on instinctive play rather than textbook play, he wasn't that good. I wish him the best and hope he finds a place to play. And because he enters the portal doesn't mean we need to go looking for another QB. We already have 4 and will have 5 come summer.

Not a loss imo. The team has plenty of QB's with AY2.0, Fife, Huot as QBs 1-3. I really do not see him landing at another D1 as a starter, well, I am gonna walk back on that, he could be a starter for a team in any conference other than the Big Sky, CAA, or MVFC. I could see him playing for a Southland or United Athletic Conference team.

In my opinion Vidlak was a cerebral QB with not good instincts. He was a smart kid who could read the defense, and pick up the playbook fast which helped him excel into the starting spot last year in front of McDowell. But when things broke down or you're in a situation where you have to rely more on instinctive play rather than textbook play, he wasn't that good. I wish him the best and hope he finds a place to play. And because he enters the portal doesn't mean we need to go looking for another QB. We already have 4 and will have 5 come summer.
That 5th has some real potential. Stud HS career, early success (always a good sign when young guys can play well against older guys), and his dad is a QB and offensive coordinator. The kid will come in ready to be a sponge.

Maybe he heads back to the Willamette Valley and to Western Oregon to play for the Wolves. Close to home so his family can watch him play. I thin WOU is DII?

Back