• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vidlak to the portal

You thin right! 😂
Vidlak is just another failure by Hauck to identify a FCS caliber high school QB to offer. Bobby's answer is to flood the QB room with a bunch of transfers, throw them against the wall, and pray that one of them emerges as an FCS talent. Bobby's got that quantity thing down, I'll give him that. Quality? Not so much.

Vidlak is just another failure by Hauck to identify a FCS caliber high school QB to offer. Bobby's answer is to flood the QB room with a bunch of transfers, throw them against the wall, and pray that one of them emerges as an FCS talent. Bobby's got that quantity thing down, I'll give him that. Quality? Not so much.
Ah Yat looks solid for his age, and you often brag that you said he was doing great as a true freshman in the fall camp, so obviously you don't feel he is a failure to identify and successfully recruit an FCS QB?

Flowers has a great pedigree. I'd bet good money he is an "FCS caliber QB."

Huot was the top ranked football player in Montana as a senior, and had interest from at least one FBS school if I remember right. He was looking like he is developing well in the spring game, was a 3 star athlete and three time all state. Huot was absolutely considered as solid FCS level QB prospect, obviously he still has to do it.

Vidlak wasn't a failure to identify "an FCS caliber QB," because FBS teams went out and stole him from us in the first place. So that doesn't make logical sense unless you think that it takes a higher caliber of QB to play in the FCS than the FBS.

I'm not trying to just hate on you, but that take is flat wrong. What a lot of people are missing is that a chunk of the Missoula community was calling for Bobby Hauck's head the day he was re-hired. There was no "lets develop a QB along slowly," it was constantly we need to get better and win right now or there will be for sale signs in your yard and we will talk shit about your family on the internet. Add that to his historical distrust of Freshman QB's, and there has been a clear incentive to take transfers who have good stuff already on tape that you can just plug in. I'm sure you can identify, as you were a loud voice all along about it. Which is your right. But you can't now also say "well, when we needed to win right now he also should have been playing and developing a young QB!"

The strategy worked. Every year has been a step forward and we were in the natty last year.

One year, our QBs were getting chopped down like wheat at harvest time. Up jumps the unlikely QB Kyle Samson, v Idaho, Sept. 27, 2003. Looked like a Little Grizzly behind center. Spuds didn't know whether to sh*t or go blind. Bobby 1.0. Maybe THAT's why his six shooter is loaded with QBs.🤔

Ah Yat looks solid for his age, and you often brag that you said he was doing great as a true freshman in the fall camp, so obviously you don't feel he is a failure to identify and successfully recruit an FCS QB?

Huot was the top ranked football player in Montana as a senior, and had interest from at least one FBS school if I remember right. He was looking like he is developing well in the spring game, was a 3 star athlete and three time all state. Huot was absolutely considered as solid FCS level QB prospect, obviously he still has to do it.

Vidlak wasn't a failure to identify "an FCS caliber QB," because FBS teams went out and stole him from us in the first place. So that doesn't make logical sense unless you think that it takes a higher caliber of QB to play in the FCS than the FBS.

I'm not trying to just hate on you, but that take is flat wrong. What a lot of people are missing is that a chunk of the Missoula community was calling for Bobby Hauck's head the day he was re-hired. There was no "lets develop a QB along slowly," it was constantly we need to get better and win right now or there will be for sale signs in your yard and we will talk shit about your family on the internet. Add that to his historical distrust of Freshman QB's, and there has been a clear incentive to take transfers who have good stuff already on tape that you can just plug in. I'm sure you can identify, as you were a loud voice all along about it. Which is your right. But you can't now also say "well, when we needed to win right now he also should have been playing and developing a young QB!"

The strategy worked. Every year has been a step forward and we were in the natty last year.
..I was a big Bobby Hauck fan early on...lost faith in him early last season...he proved to me that he
wants to win and adapted to the times....I think he has the program moving in the right trajectory.
..I'm not concern about QB situation...they will figure it out!

Well said, Elrod, and historically accurate. Six years of Delaney and Stitt all but destroyed Griz FB. Took six years to get to Frisco, but he did the job.
I mostly agree. I feel for Delaney. He was given a bad hand, and I hear he is the nicest guy and a wonderful man. He played it as best he could and while the results weren't there on the field, he was probably the right person to steady the ship with all the ridiculous drama, but yea, it took an AWFULLY long time but I feel like we are back to where we need to be.

One year, our QBs were getting chopped down like wheat at harvest time. Up jumps the unlikely QB Kyle Samson, v Idaho, Sept. 27, 2003. Looked like a Little Grizzly behind center. Spuds didn't know whether to sh*t or go blind. Bobby 1.0. Maybe THAT's why his six shooter is loaded with QBs.🤔
I had actually forgotten that. And I think you are right. I have to imagine there is a lot of the same logic in the way we just keep stacking up running backs. It wasn't that long ago that we ran out, and had to run poor Junior Bergen out there as a lil freshman to take the RB beating.

God, I love Junior Bergen and everything he has done for this program, and choosing to stay with this program when we all know he would have had six figures somewhere if he wanted to leave. What a team first guy.

I would also just point out that everyone was over the moon at MSU about Thomas the Touchdown Engine. While they have worked through a lot of his growing pains as a passer, their success has regressed in part because he wasn't ready to be "the guy" right when he walked in. He just wasn't ready as a passer, and his athleticism and toughness were enough to keep gutting out wins with that running game and defense. But that is the price you pay if you want to recruit a Freshman, play them, and develop them. The rest of the team needs to make up for what you are missing while they are developing. The current strategy seems to be working for us as we continue to take steps forward instead of backward.

It is almost like 60% of your posts are taking shots at Hauck and the other 40% are shots at posters that point out your hatred of Hauck. I will hang up and listen.

All you provide as examples is "potential". Yes, I think Ah Yat has lots of potential. But how many snaps has he taken? How many TDs has he thrown? The other two QBs have never taken a snap for us.

Once again, I make a 100% truthful statement that our QB situation this year is very uncertain, and the typical hacks attack that 100% true statement, but provide NOTHING in support their argument except POTENTIAL. Many of these same posters were gushing about how great Vidlak was going to be. We went into last season with the same QB questions we have this season. McDowell turned out to be a better-than-expected answer, while our pre-season hero, Vidlak, was a bust. But we all know that Vidlak was the chosen one by the coaching staff going into the season. The coaches never thought McDowell would be the starter.

Regarding Ah Yat, I was the only poster who stated on egriz that Ah Yat looked better in fall practice than either McDowell or Vidlak. Look it up. So, I think that there is a very good chance that Ah Yat might be a very good QB in the future. Will it be in 2024, with very little history and experience behind him? Who knows? But I assure you that all of you posters who believe that we have no reasons for concern about the QB position are smoking something!

It is almost like 60% of your posts are taking shots at Hauck and the other 40% are shots at posters that point out your hatred of Hauck. I will hang up and listen.
As I said, just place me on ignore. It's really that easy. Then you can get some sleep at night instead of wracking your brain to come-up with another pithy slam. Capish?

2002? Why stop there? Might as well go back to the Wild Bill Kelly days.

As I said, just place me on ignore. It's really that easy. Then you can get some sleep at night instead of wracking your brain to come-up with another pithy slam. Capish?
I can not defend you on many of your posts but you do make some legitimate points of which I am still waiting for HelenaHandbasket to make some.

Just to provide a substantiating fact for my objective posts about our QB situation this season, I offer the "like" button for my last post from a poster who played Power 5 football in the SEC Conference. This is opposed to the soccer club posters bloviating about a subject that they obviously know little about.

Looks like very few FCS will be drafted. I believe there was a big decline last year, and looks like it will continue. Top FCS players are probably moving to FBS at a faster rate and not staying at FCS to be drafted. Are there former FCS players getting drafting this year, besides the Cornell player?

Looks like Stanford won't have anyone drafted, unless maybe the kicker. I can't imagine the old SS coach is going to be able to be successful at Stanford, unless, magically, NIL can get big at Stanford and transfers can be admitted. I don't see that happening.

2002? Why stop there? Might as well go back to the Wild Bill Kelly days.
2003. NEZ completed, got my season tx. The Idaho game was one of the first for me. I swear, if the center had passed gas, Samson would have been blown back next to the RB(s). Looked like he needed a periscope to see the defense. Comical, in retrospect.

Oh, that
2003. NEZ completed, got my season tx. The Idaho game was one of the first for me. I swear, if the center had passed gas, Samson would have been blown back next to the RB(s). Looked like he needed a periscope to see the defense. Comical, in retrospect.
I was in attendance at that game. It was an example of an Idaho team totally unprepared to defense the option game.

All you provide as examples is "potential". Yes, I think Ah Yat has lots of potential. But how many snaps has he taken? How many TDs has he thrown? The other two QBs have never taken a snap for us.

Once again, I make a 100% truthful statement that our QB situation this year is very uncertain, and the typical hacks attack that 100% true statement, but provide NOTHING in support their argument except POTENTIAL. Many of these same posters were gushing about how great Vidlak was going to be. We went into last season with the same QB questions we have this season. McDowell turned out to be a better-than-expected answer, while our pre-season hero, Vidlak, was a bust. But we all know that Vidlak was the chosen one by the coaching staff going into the season. The coaches never thought McDowell would be the starter.

Regarding Ah Yat, I was the only poster who stated on egriz that Ah Yat looked better in fall practice than either McDowell or Vidlak. Look it up. So, I think that there is a very good chance that Ah Yat might be a very good QB in the future. Will it be in 2024, with very little history and experience behind him? Who knows? But I assure you that all of you posters who believe that we have no reasons for concern about the QB position are smoking something!
Listen, I took the shot at just giving a logical and not attacking you response because my pal 3-7-77 has told me a number of times that you can be reasonable and chat about football. If you want to start name calling, that's cool, we can just put each other on ignore and move along. I hadn't done that since the site migrated.

I think your response was about two different things. I wasn't responding to you saying the QB situation this year is uncertain. I agree with you about that. The QB situation is uncertain, we don't know who is going to be starting on day 1. That is factually correct. I didn't even say anything like "we have a strong QB room and I am jacked about it us having so many studs out there throwing it." That was not my point at all.

So, I will take your response point that "potential" is not an acceptable counter point to you, and still make these points --

I was responding to your statement, that Bobby Hauck cannot recruit an FCS level QB. I assumed you were excluding transfers, and talking about specifically him recruiting players out of high school that were FCS caliber. So my point to you is that there are reasons that is an illogical statement. He identified and recruited Vidlak, who was then recruited and taken by FBS schools. He quite literally recruited a player that was considered by all to be FCS level, and considered by some to be beyond that. If Vidlak had consistent coaching and development, he may have reached his potential (so many coaching changes for him), but he was clearly an FCS level QB. You didn't say "stud starter that leads a team to greatness."

Same with others. You are, again, claiming credit for saying Ah Yat looked great. You said, in the post I just quoted, that he will be good, but you don't know if it will be in 2024. So, clearly, you agree that Hauck recruited an FCS level QB. Both of your points cannot be true at the same time, man. Either Ah Yat is not an FCS level QB, or Bobby Hauck has recruited an FCS level QB that you believe may not be QUITE ready in 2024. It is that simple. You literally have to pick one.

Other guys that I mentioned, like Huot and Flowers, were offered by other FCS schools. Flowers had FBS offers. You are right that we don't know how they will perform, that is a fair point. But clearly Hauck is winning recruiting competitions on players that other successful teams deem to be FCS worthy recruits.

Lastly, as I alluded to, I know you are specifically meaning high schoolers. But I still think it is a fair point that in the modern day, we are "recruiting" through the portal as well. As with a couple of examples I gave, I'm not sure it is in the best interest to place a focus on recruiting a great high school senior, giving them the QB job and spending time and coaching developing them as much as it is important to every year field the best team. That's just how it is. Look at Genatone. Not hating on his decision in any way, he has every right to follow his dream. But we recruited him, put a lot of coaching time and money in to his first two years, and he is now leaving. So I do think that, as a separate point in response to yours, that we should also consider that we are "recruiting" FCS level QB's out of the transfer portal.

Back