• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2024 FINAL Montana High School Recruiting List

VimSince03 said:
giphy.gif

Final rankings starting to brew!

What do you attribute the it to that Tech seems to be on such a tear of top Montana prospects over the last couple of years. Is that just my perception? Or is there something going on there?

ElrodGrizzly said:
VimSince03 said:
giphy.gif

Final rankings starting to brew!

What do you attribute the it to that Tech seems to be on such a tear of top Montana prospects over the last couple of years. Is that just my perception? Or is there something going on there?

Since I have started tracking Montana recruits in 2015, Montana Tech has absolutely dominated the top of the non-FCS tier. Carroll has made a push back into that mix since they hired Purcell. Tech also has a desirable school and a decent stadium/environment for NAIA for the Montana kids. They've also had good recruiters from top to bottom every year. Now...has it led to success? Some good teams but some underwhelming. A school like UM-Westerns seems to get "their guys" every year and crank out the wins. Rocky has always kind of been meh. Again, Carroll has had a resurgence but haven't yet gotten back to past glory.

VimSince03 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Since I have started tracking Montana recruits in 2015, Montana Tech has absolutely dominated the top of the non-FCS tier. Carroll has made a push back into that mix since they hired Purcell. Tech also has a desirable school and a decent stadium/environment for NAIA for the Montana kids. They've also had good recruiters from top to bottom every year. Now...has it led to success? Some good teams but some underwhelming. A school like UM-Westerns seems to get "their guys" every year and crank out the wins. Rocky has always kind of been meh. Again, Carroll has had a resurgence but haven't yet gotten back to past glory.

Interesting. Thank you for that explanation. I've really been wondering what it is.

Nourse and the team at Western will go to some serious lengths for the guys they target. I was talking to a kid who played RB for them for a couple of years, and he was saying he had given up on football. He was working construction. One day a truck rolls up, and a guy pops out and asks if he would like to play some football again. Like something out of a movie. I don't remember if it was Nourse or Robertson, but it really left an impression on me.

Is there NIL in D-2ll? I ask because Tech is a mining/petroleum engineering school and has some of the richest alumni in the state.

Tech is attracting more than athletes. 20% of the 2023 Columbus graduating class went to Tech with no known fallout.

daGrizJ said:
Is there NIL in D-2ll? I ask because Tech is a mining/petroleum engineering school and has some of the richest alumni in the state.

NIL came because it was ruled illegal to stop kids from using their Name, Image, and Likeness. I'd imagine that is true of every level, but I am no expert.

daGrizJ said:
Tech is NAIA.

kemajic said:
Tech is attracting more than athletes. 20% of the 2023 Columbus graduating class went to Tech with no known fallout.
Sure, no known fallout now. Spending time in Butte is like smoking, there is no obvious effect for a few years but it grinds you down and by the time you're 40 you look 70. Unless you're a duck and then you are pretty much dead as soon as you land there.

SaskGriz said:
kemajic said:
Sure, no known fallout now. Spending time in Butte is like smoking, there is no obvious effect for a few years but it grinds you down and by the time you're 40 you look 70. Unless you're a duck and then you are pretty much dead as soon as you land there.

Yeah, 50 years ago, but now...not so much. The mines are pretty much history (at least in comparison to, well, history), the smelter in Anaconda is closed. Nice little city with no big major polluter and beaucoup history. Now, if you want to talk job opportunities, you are probably onto something. All of us in the Butte Diaspora understand that all too well (with all due respect to all who have managed to hang on in town all these years, and all those working to make it better and more economically diverse).

Assuming Payton will see the final ranking I just posted. 60 kids made the list this year. 185 evaluated. Pretty even if you're into who won the on paper rivalry. Top 3 went FBS but the next 8 are clear Blue Chips in my book. Griz are really starting to take back the West these last few classes but Cats are getting really good FCS players out of Billings and Bozeman every year. I just don't see either side dominating in-state any time soon. It should be close to a draw every year unless a pile of legacy kids line up one way.

I'd like to thank Vim and all his hard work and allowing us to use his info on this site.

Though he is a big cat fan, I believe he is really fair in his list and look forward to it each year.

THANKS VIM... Now get some rest!

I guy that I saw a few times and wonder why someone hasn't signed him is

53.) DE/LB- Braden Capser (Kalispell Flathead) - 6'2", 215 lbs.

Playing for Flathead is a downgrade, but the games I saw he was all over the field.

I don't know his 40 time or academics just saw a dude that made plays on a very bad team
and he is 6'2 215

If we use Vim's info... There seems to be some very good talent still available

12.) OL/DL- Andrew Burrows (Hamilton) - 6'2", 250 lbs.
20.) HB/LB- Cooper Frietag (Billings West) - 6'1", 205 lbs.

22.) DL- Christian Knowles (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'3", 225 lbs.
24.) ATH/S- Kellen Harrison (Bozeman) - 6'0", 160 lbs.
25.) OL/DL- Isaac Stoker (Corvallis) - 6'3", 250 lbs.
30.) RB/LB- Quaid Ash (Bozeman) - 6'2", 215 lbs.
31.) RB/TE- Elijah Thorness (Bigfork) - 6'3", 205 lbs.
33.) ATH- Adam Balkenbush (Billings Central) - 6'1", 195 lbs.
34.) ATH- Carter Kraft (Helena High) - 6'0", 185 lbs.
35.) WR- Jace Hill (Columbia Falls) - 6'2", 175 lbs.
36.) LB- Austin Baller (Bozeman) - 6'1", 205 lbs.
39.) S- Tristan Butts (Eureka) - 6'2", 180 lbs.
41.) QB- Thomas Buchanan (Red Lodge) - 6'5", 210 lbs.

44.) LB- Kieran Netburn (Lewistown) - 6'0", 210 lbs.
45.) WR- Rueso Battermann (Butte) - 6'3", 190 lbs.
46.) DT- Maxx Lee (Billings Senior) - 6'3", 250 lbs.
47.) OL/DL- Chance Waters (Sidney) - 6'4", 240 lbs.
48.) DE- Tyler Conrad (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'1", 225 lbs.
50.) RB/LB- Kale Konen (Dillon) - 6'2", 185 lbs.
53.) DE/LB- Braden Capser (Kalispell Flathead) - 6'2", 215 lbs.
55.) FB/LB- Lucas Lant (Hamilton) - 5'11", 205 lbs.
56.) DE/LB- Cooper Collins (Great Falls High) - 6'1", 205 lbs.
58.) FB- Izayah Brown (Great Falls High) - 6'1", 205 lbs.
60.) LB/S- Reese Paulson (Belt) - 6'2", 195 lbs.

Paytonlives said:
I'd like to thank Vim and all his hard work and allowing us to use his info on this site.

Though he is a big cat fan, I believe he is really fair in his list and look forward to it each year.

So far I only have quick thoughts on the Tier 5 kids. I know it's that other site but if you follow the instructions on the first post of the 2024 Montana Recruits page, their is a link by each Tier. My thoughts will be in there. Keeps the first post cleaner. Anyway, 2025 will drop a week after signing day...though I already have 30 prospects tabbed. 🍻

VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:

So far I only have quick thoughts on the Tier 5 kids. I know it's that other site but if you follow the instructions on the first post of the 2024 Montana Recruits page, their is a link by each Tier. My thoughts will be in there. Keeps the first post cleaner. Anyway, 2025 will drop a week after signing day...though I already have 30 prospects tabbed. 🍻

You are a crazy man!

Paytonlives said:

Vim, you are amazing and you make following Montana football an immeasurably better experience. Thank you for all you do. Regardless of which team you like better, you are a value to absolutely all. I don't know how you do it. Thank you.

Griztrain said:
Paytonlives said:
34.) ATH- Carter Kraft (Helena High) - 6'0", 185 lbs.
offers from sac and suu

https://twitter.com/CarterKraft/status/1750568522680250381?s=20

Finished a write-up on him today:

Productive QB for the Helena High Bengals the last two years. Carter had a better junior season than senior season. For his career, he threw for 4719 yards (168/game) and tossed 43 touchdowns but also 20 interceptions and 3 fumbles. As a runner, he put up 716 rushing yards at a 3.5 per carry average with 12 touchdowns and 8 of those were his senior season. In short yardage situations, Helena used him a bunch to pick up the tough yards. Carter is built well, runs the ball effectively, is on track to be valedictorian of his senior class, and has been an all-state selection twice. I don't know if he's a true college QB but I do think he's a moldable athlete whether that be at LB or possibly as an offensive weapon. As of 1/25/24, Carter has picked up offers from Sac State, UM, and Southern Utah so there is some intrigue to recruit him to the FCS level. He's still unsigned and will start for the West at QB in the Shrine Game but I think he's either an offensive weapon/h-back or LB.

Sounds to me like a perfect fit to throw into the special teams mix at UM!

VimSince03 said:
Griztrain said:
offers from sac and suu

https://twitter.com/CarterKraft/status/1750568522680250381?s=20

Finished a write-up on him today:

Productive QB for the Helena High Bengals the last two years. Carter had a better junior season than senior season. For his career, he threw for 4719 yards (168/game) and tossed 43 touchdowns but also 20 interceptions and 3 fumbles. As a runner, he put up 716 rushing yards at a 3.5 per carry average with 12 touchdowns and 8 of those were his senior season. In short yardage situations, Helena used him a bunch to pick up the tough yards. Carter is built well, runs the ball effectively, is on track to be valedictorian of his senior class, and has been an all-state selection twice. I don't know if he's a true college QB but I do think he's a moldable athlete whether that be at LB or possibly as an offensive weapon. As of 1/25/24, Carter has picked up offers from Sac State, UM, and Southern Utah so there is some intrigue to recruit him to the FCS level. He's still unsigned and will start for the West at QB in the Shrine Game but I think he's either an offensive weapon/h-back or LB.

Sounds to me like a perfect fit to throw into the special teams mix at UM!

Do you do this professionally? If so, where can I find your work and subscribe?

Latest posts

Back