• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vims Final 2020 Montana High School Recruits List

Vim - Would Ben Roberts have been Tier 1 if he would have gone football out of high school?

Skygrz said:
Vim on your list.
Liam Haffey from Missoulq has committed and signed with Carroll.
Tucker Jones from Hamilton also commited to Carroll College.
Info from recruits posts on Carroll football twitter page.

I have them updated over on Bobcatnation. I don't post the lists on here so just remind Payton.

Skygrz said:
Vim on your list.
Liam Haffey from Missoulq has committed and signed with Carroll.
Tucker Jones from Hamilton also commited to Carroll College.
Info from recruits posts on Carroll football twitter page.

Updated. thanks...

granitegriz said:
Vim, I respect your opinion and this is an excellent list, but Nuce seems way too low based upon his film.

Henry's film is very comparable to Marcus Wehr's in 2019 (Marcus signed with the Cats out of Billings Central). Anyway, both played a combo of DE and DT in high school and were physically dominant at the point of attack. Body-wise, they have length and use their wingspan to stretch out runs and wrap up ballcarriers. They also use those long arms to win at the point of attack. And, most importantly, they play hard.

I ranked Marcus at #12 in 2019 and these were my reasons why:

"There are a few areas for improvement. Marcus is more of a max effort/physical-at-the-point-of-attack defender than twitched-up pass-rusher. He’s missing that plus athleticism and bend that makes quality pass-rushers in college. Marcus shows a tendency to "play high" when he gets into the backfield and will overrun plays at times. He puts a lot of effort into defeating blocks at the line of scrimmage so he will just have to fight to stay more in control when getting into the backfield."

These areas of improvement almost mirror Henry's exactly. I ranked Henry in the Top 10 because I think he has a higher ceiling in athleticism and pass-rushing than Marcus at the college level. He's also more versatile as he could probably develop anywhere on the defensive line. He'll just have to start honing in on technique, playing with a lower pad level, and having a plan when his first move does get stopped at the point of attack. Most of these things gets solved in the first few years of college through player development.

Anyway, fun player and should be in the rotation by the time he's a redshirt sophomore and starting his final two years.

grizpack said:
Vim - Would Ben Roberts have been Tier 1 if he would have gone football out of high school?
I'm not Vim, but I believe Roberts could have received FBS offers if his primary focus weren't baseball.

grizband said:
grizpack said:
I'm not Vim, but I believe Roberts could have received FBS offers if his primary focus weren't baseball.

Didn't see this. Yes absolutely Ben should be in there. 6'4", 205 lbs. as a senior in the fall of 2010 and broke multiple single season state records. A three-time FIRST TEAM AA All-State selection.

Jake Kindel - Eureka (6'0", 210 lbs.) - FB/LB. (Tier 5) signed to play football with Idaho.

https://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/football/eureka-three-sport-standout-jake-kindel-joining-idaho-vandals-football/article_0cc9d7da-d77a-574d-8591-ce463d4d6709.html

VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Good lookin list and a great analytical way of looking at the states class this year. Thank you again Vim for all you do. This is truly insight we’ve never had at our level and area. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

In my limited knowledge, I’d agree this year has no tier one athletes except maybe Jaxon. Again, I have extremely limited knowledge in this area. My question is who do you think we’ve had in the last five or ten years that might be considered tier one?

I only have seven:

Matt Miller (Helena Capital) - 2010 Boise St.
Tanner Roderick (Bozeman) - 2011 Nevada
Dylan Hanser (Billings Central) - 2013 Washington St.
Will Dissly (Bozeman) - 2014 Washington
Jesse Sims (Corvallis) - 2015 Montana
Troy Andersen (Dillon) - 2017 Montana State
Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior) - 2018 Montana

Roderick and Sims maybe didn't have the careers everyone was expecting them to have. But out of high school, they were viewed as no-doubters FBS recruits. People will doubt me on Gabe but he was the best player in AA for nearly 4 years and one of the most dynamic playmakers I've ever seen on tape. Troy was completely under-recruited by FBS schools.

Jaxon Lee is a top prospect in the 2020 Montana class. But he is not a rare player for the state of Montana. That Tier 1 group is a high bar and for good reason. It should be hard to make that group.
This is looking in hindsight. I don't believe hanser was even offered by the cats or griz. He walked on at WSU and spent a year greyshirting.

Back