• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Was McDowell a Top 25 FCS QB Last Year?

Yes, Lex was great player. He ran 12 for 26 in that game. McDowell ran 13 for 2. Lex and Chase didn't leave UM before their last year, and didn't go to an 0-10 team for their senior years. I think they were both drafted, and played multiple years in the NFL. In 2004, Hilliard had 120 against the Cats. 171 against NW St, 107 against NH, and 38 against SHS. Reynolds was 12-47 in that 2008 game, for 3.9 average. Way more than a running qb who gets 2 yards.
I can't disagree. It might just be more common than we remember for a good player to have a substandard game against top competition. That's my only point.

But we do know McDowell flopped and gained 2 yards, and then went to an 0-10 team. And we know Mellott was 2d team all-conference in the past 2 years, and McDowell didn't make even honorable mention and wasn't in the top 5 of conference qb's.
Which brings up my initital question: Is McDowell one of the top 25 QBs in the BSC? How about the top 10? Should be fairly easy, as there are only 12 teams in the BSC.

You are assuming that Clif is a better option than what they had, and I am not really sure that is true. The Cats bigger issue was on the defensive side of the ball.
I'm not so much assuming that as asserting it. I don't know how anyone could objectively say that either bub qb is a better passer than Cliff. Is Cliff great at throwing? No, but he's head and shoulders above any bub QB who saw significant time.

Lex Hilliard ran 12 times for 26 yards (2.17avg) in the 2004 NC game. As a team, we ran 23 times for 44 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Lex was a great player.

In 2008, as a team, we ran 25 times for 39 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Chase was a great player.

These statistics and opinions are provided free of context.

Yes, Lex was great player. He ran 12 for 26 in that game. McDowell ran 13 for 2. Lex and Chase didn't leave UM before their last year, and didn't go to an 0-10 team for their senior years. I think they were both drafted, and played multiple years in the NFL. In 2004, Hilliard had 120 against the Cats. 171 against NW St, 107 against NH, and 38 against SHS. Reynolds was 12-47 in that 2008 game, for 3.9 average. Way more than a running qb who gets 2 yards.
Cliff actually ran for 13 of 36 net of sacks. Great numbers? No, but you're being a little disingenuous by continuing to say he rushed for 2. Good players sometimes struggle against great defenses. I mean, if the bub QBs are better as you suggest, why didn't they put up big numbers against the GRIZ?

Oh yeah. Defense.

I'm not so much assuming that as asserting it. I don't know how anyone could objectively say that either bub qb is a better passer than Cliff. Is Cliff great at throwing? No, but he's head and shoulders above any bub QB who saw significant time.
Yet the bubs had a second team all BSC player at QB and Clif wasn't even HM.

But we do know McDowell flopped and gained 2 yards, and then went to an 0-10 team. And we know Mellott was 2d team all-conference in the past 2 years, and McDowell didn't make even honorable mention and wasn't in the top 5 of conference qb's.
Wouldn’t trade McDowell for either of the ‘Scat QB’s.

Back