• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WBB: 2023 Transfer Portal

It is always nice to get a transfer from a Pac-12 school but I am not really excited about the 6"4" transfer. Limited playing time, injury prone, and small number of rebounds considering her size. I hope she does well but I think Gfeller and Bartsch are likiely better

Griz66 said:
It is always nice to get a transfer from a Pac-12 school but I am not really excited about the 6"4" transfer. Limited playing time, injury prone, and small number of rebounds considering her size. I hope she does well but I think Gfeller and Bartsch are likiely better

She played 3 years including the Covid season and only one season had injury problems. I don't think that makes her injury prone. Sophmore season she shot over 50%, fifth on her team in offensive rebounds, and fourth in block shots. Freshman season she lead her team in field goal percentage, had 4 or more rebounds 5 times.

For the Lady Griz, She should do much better.

Griz66 said:
It is always nice to get a transfer from a Pac-12 school but I am not really excited about the 6"4" transfer. Limited playing time, injury prone,..
The most I've discovered about any injury history as reported, is as follows:
https://cronkitesports.com/asu-womens-basketball-sun-devils-fall-after-shaky-third-quarter/

This, mentioned in the sixth paragraph down:

'...while pedaling backward Greenslade rolled her ankle and tripped over the foot of a Cal defender.'

I think both girls bring some needed skill and at least some depth to this team for multiple years. They could also be big players that give this team what it needs to get over the top. I think the team is better now then they were before the signings, regardless. Are they homeruns? Who knows, but certainly extra basehits to drive in some runs.

Espenmiller-McGraw it is. Skyline just reported it in on twitter. Another really nice add. That might complete the transfer portal activity for the ladies.

Espenmiller-McGraw was a highly touted recruit in the class of 2019. She was a five-star ranked No. 46 overall. She was pretty good in her first year at Iowa State, but struggled with injuries. She could definitely be a steal if she’s healthy.
https://twitter.com/courtsidefilms/status/1248675626405498881?s=46&t=3uvHVkXrhRhvNrfBQBxWgw

OregonStateFan said:
Espenmiller-McGraw was a highly touted recruit in the class of 2019. She was a five-star ranked No. 46 overall. She was pretty good in her first year at Iowa State, but struggled with injuries. She could definitely be a steal if she’s healthy.
https://twitter.com/courtsidefilms/status/1248675626405498881?s=46&t=3uvHVkXrhRhvNrfBQBxWgw

My goodness she was just bonkers good her freshman year. Sad what injuries can do. Man I hope she can play healthy!

Of all the sports programs at Montana, I have the closest emotional and personal ties to the Lady Griz. I'm thrilled with the way Holsinger is re-building this program, and in an earlier post stated that I have the highest hopes for the Lady Griz of any of our sports programs.

But I may be one of the few to be wary of the direction this program has taken. So before we get carried away with all the huzzahs and exclamation points around the three recent transfers, let me offer a few points of caution.

--This is quite a departure from the way Holsinger has gone about re-building this team--my preferred way, high school recruits, the foundation on which most successful programs are built.
--None of these transfers started for their teams in 2022-23.
--The scoring averages were Greenslade 1.8, Espenmiller-McGraw 1.7 and Bruno 3.2.
--While Journal in an earlier post touted Bruno's 3-point shooting last year, 12-24 for .500, he quite obviously cherry-picked her stats. Which for her two years at Portland were 34% on three's, 53% from the foul line, with 21 assists versus 39 turnovers.
--Finally, there's the issue of injuries. All three come in with a history of them. And while you might say, that's a point of optimism, that BUT FOR these injuries these three would have played at a much higher level, it's also foolish to think all these injuries will magically disappear once they get to Missoula. Yes, the rewards may be high but so are the risks.

Of the three, I'm most optimistic about Greenslade. This is the reason to you go the Portal, to fill a specific need, which in our case is height. For this she may have been the best recruit available, injuries be damned.

But do we desperately need more players in the 5-10" to 6' range? We are already well stocked there, with more arriving with the incoming freshman class. I of course hope it all works out but for the time being, I remain skeptical of this sudden change in direction for the program.

citay said:
Of all the sports programs at Montana, I have the closest emotional and personal ties to the Lady Griz. I'm thrilled with the way Holsinger is re-building this program, and in an earlier post stated that I have the highest hopes for the Lady Griz of any of our sports programs.

But I may be one of the few to be wary of the direction this program has taken. So before we get carried away with all the huzzahs and exclamation points around the three recent transfers, let me offer a few points of caution.

--This is quite a departure from the way Holsinger has gone about re-building this team--my preferred way, high school recruits, the foundation on which most successful programs are built.
--None of these transfers started for their teams in 2022-23.
--The scoring averages were Greenslade 1.8, Espenmiller-McGraw 1.7 and Bruno 3.2.
--While Journal in an earlier post touted Bruno's 3-point shooting last year, 12-24 for .500, he quite obviously cherry-picked her stats. Which for her two years at Portland were 34% on three's, 53% from the foul line, with 21 assists versus 39 turnovers.
--Finally, there's the issue of injuries. All three come in with a history of them. And while you might say, that's a point of optimism, that BUT FOR these injuries these three would have played at a much higher level, it's also foolish to think all these injuries will magically disappear once they get to Missoula. Yes, the rewards may be high but so are the risks.

Of the three, I'm most optimistic about Greenslade. This is the reason to you go the Portal, to fill a specific need, which in our case is height. For this she may have been the best recruit available, injuries be damned.

But do we desperately need more players in the 5-10" to 6' range? We are already well stocked there, with more arriving with the incoming freshman class. I of course hope it all works out but for the time being, I remain skeptical of this sudden change in direction for the program.

I share your concerns, too.

But, these players fill out the 13th, 14th, and 15th scholarships. For a coach that likes to manage only 12 to 13 players, I was very surprised to see Holsinger bring up to 3 players from the Portal let alone just one. But, I think he is in a position at this point to take the chance. If none of them work out, Holsinger still has some very good players coming back with 3 new talented players coming in. But if just one of these transfers works out, that makes the team so much better.

Who knows, maybe Espenmiller-McGraw can improve upon her freshman year if she stays healthy, even though it looks like she has had the most health issues of the three. Greenslade has had only one season (last year) with health issues, and I think provides the most needs with her height. Hope she can jump and has some athleticism. I am kind of expecting Bruno to be off the bench player to provide depth.

Didn’t Selvig make a bunch of hay with 2 or 3 5’10 - 6’0 players each year when he was here? I’m going to reserve judgment to see how it pans out. He needs to try something different after not winning a game in the big sky tourney in his first 2 seasons.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Didn’t Selvig make a bunch of hay with 2 or 3 5’10 - 6’0 players each year when he was here? I’m going to reserve judgment to see how it pans out. He needs to try something different after not winning a game in the big sky tourney in his first 2 seasons.

That Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw is like watching a Julie Deming having her career night, but like going out and doing it every night. Hope she's fully recovered from whatever; we only have her for one year?

Interesting that for the game against Louisiana Tech on 20 March 2004, the Lady Griz started four of five players:

Juliann Keller 5'10"
Julie Deming 5'10'
Katie Edwards 5'9"
Brooklynn Lorenzen 5'4"

WyomingGrizFan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

That Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw is like watching a Julie Deming having her career night, but like going out and doing it every night. Hope she's fully recovered from whatever; we only have her for one year?

Interesting that for the game against Louisiana Tech on 20 March 2004, the Lady Griz started four of five players:

Juliann Keller 5'10"
Julie Deming 5'10'
Katie Edwards 5'9"
Brooklynn Lorenzen 5'4"

That was years ago, my friend. The women's game has evolved. Players today are bigger, more athletic and better coached. I want to be on the side of evolution.

Here's the GoGriz story announcing the transfer of Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw, MJ Bruno and Imogen Greenslade.

https://gogriz.com/news/2023/4/24/womens-basketball-lady-griz-add-three-impact-transfers

Lexi Darnowski has chosen North Carolina. I was hoping that she would joint Caitlin Clark at Iowa.

citay said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

Juliann Keller 5'10"
Julie Deming 5'10'
Katie Edwards 5'9"
Brooklynn Lorenzen 5'4"

That was years ago, my friend. The women's game has evolved. Players today are bigger, more athletic and better coached. I want to be on the side of evolution.

Yeah, after fifty years or so there are improvements in many areas, one might say. And just two years (2021-22) ago South Dakota Coyotes made it to the Final Sixteen before losing to Michigan by three points, 49 - 52. South Dakota's best player was Hannah Sjerven, at 6'2." The rest of the starters for the Coyotes were:
...Kyah Watson, 5'10," Liv Korngable, 5'10," Chloe Lamb, 5'10" and 5'9" Maddie Krull.
Interesting.

citay said:
The women's game has evolved. Players today are bigger, more athletic and better coached. I want to be on the side of evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEbplZOo2gQ
...I still wonder how an athlete like McKinley Willardson [Class of 2023] out of Santiago hs - Corona, Calif. can go unrecruited. The general information that I've gleaned is that her high school did not keep statistics so Willardson is really under the radar, really under the radar, so to speak. But a fan evidently did keep stats and it was found that she one of the top thirty posts in the state that averaged 18 points and twelve rebounds a game over three years, though only 6'1"), that also excels in volleyball and lacrosse:

https://twitter.com/2023ballersonly/status/1529510978504822785?lang=en

Are there any more openings on the volleyball team? UofM can beat out everyone on this one. Track and field? Softball? Soccer? Just sign her up on something or other sport and put her on the basketball court and see what happens. Resumé sure seems evident. :thumb:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:

The man played the zone , really well.

Back