• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What If Montana and Montana State got a Pac-12 Invite?

Do you think Montana and Montana State would be ready if the Pac-12 Conference sent invites to join?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Yes, but we fit better in FCS.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • FTC!

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
grizindabox said:
timjayko said:
Like I said in my original post: building for the future. Right now, Montana and Montana Montana state are not as attractive as a vast amount of other football programs when it comes to current prestige. It is probably a long shot that the Pac-12 would strongly consider adding Montana and Montana State at this point, but I wouldn't go as far to say that to believe in the possibility that Montana and Montana State would join the Pac-12 within the next five years = "zero grasp on reality".

So it is the reality thing. The Pac 12 will dissolve before offering membership to UM/MSU.

You are conclussory in assuming the Pac -12 will dissolve in the first place. Now that's a current reality.

timjayko said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Total fantasy. I have a better chance of winning the next 10 Powerball drawings.

If you're probability calculations are correct, then I'd suggest you go buy some Powerball tickets today. The Montana market might not be big based on population density of course, but Montana football as a program has seemed to generally attract viewers decently when aired on ESPN/ESPN 2 national TV (at least in the FCS playoffs). Plus, Griz are still relishing in the upset of the Huskies last year (maybe we could play in the Pac-12 and at least compete for bowl games). I know, Huskies were definitely way overrated in the preseason polls but we still beat a Pac-12 school. Lastly, Montana is the last best place after all, with a population growth rate that some predict could turn Montana into the next "Colorodo"). Not a bad selling proposition for the PAC-12 to consider. Building for the future.
Montana's population is growing at a slower rate than Idaho, Washington or Oregon.

timjayko said:
grizindabox said:
So it is the reality thing. The Pac 12 will dissolve before offering membership to UM/MSU.

You are conclussory in assuming the Pac -12 will dissolve in the first place. Now that's a current reality.

I didn't say the Pac-12 would dissolve. I said they would dissolve before offering membership to UM/MSU.

Pounder said:
Scenario #1- There’s nowhere else to go, nobody else brings anything that adds value per school to a TV contract, so the Pac stays at 10. I’d give that a 45% chance.

Scenario #2- 4 schools go to the Big 10, prompting the Four Corner schools to go to the Big 12, which leaves Oregon State and Washington State inviting most of the Mountain West into the Pac. Eh, 40% chance.

Scenario #3- 2-3 schools go to the Big 10, Cal (which I’m guessing would be the left out) tries to create kind of a Pan American FBS Ivy League, otherwise the same results as Scenario #2. 6%.

All other possibilities 9%.

Montana needs the 9% to happen to come anywhere close to achieving the goal of a poster who should learn something about media contracts. And there’s only a 1% chance of that! (If you look up old Police Squad quotes, you’ll come closer to “understanding” the last sentence.)

You forgot Scenario #4: Big money in the top division of CFB gets rearranged and Division 1 FBS finally implements a playoff system with at least 12 team bracket, with P5 auto conference bids , Pac-12 stays put as it gets an auto-bid slot. % Chance of Scenario #4 *UNABLE TO COMPUTE* number too small to generate.

indian-outlaw said:
timjayko said:
If you're probability calculations are correct, then I'd suggest you go buy some Powerball tickets today. The Montana market might not be big based on population density of course, but Montana football as a program has seemed to generally attract viewers decently when aired on ESPN/ESPN 2 national TV (at least in the FCS playoffs). Plus, Griz are still relishing in the upset of the Huskies last year (maybe we could play in the Pac-12 and at least compete for bowl games). I know, Huskies were definitely way overrated in the preseason polls but we still beat a Pac-12 school. Lastly, Montana is the last best place after all, with a population growth rate that some predict could turn Montana into the next "Colorodo"). Not a bad selling proposition for the PAC-12 to consider. Building for the future.
Montana's population is growing at a slower rate than Idaho, Washington or Oregon.

Source ? I'm not necessarily surprised if that is true, but like I said.. building for the future. Montana isn't going anywhere, we are in a Mountain Time zone region, we would fit more in a Pac-12 Conference geographically and within their brand than many other schools. Money is always a big factor, too. It's okay to dream right? It COULD HAPPEN.

timjayko said:
indian-outlaw said:

Source ? I'm not necessarily surprised if that is true, but like I said.. building for the future. Montana isn't going anywhere, we are in a Mountain Time zone region, we would fit more in a Pac-12 Conference geographically and within their brand than many other schools. Money is always a big factor, too. It's okay to dream right? It COULD HAPPEN.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/fastest-growing-states

retiredpopo said:
timjayko said:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/fastest-growing-states

Thanks. These numbers are through 2020, it would be interesting to see updated 2022 numbers accounting for all the impact from the Pandemic through 2021 but probably not too different.

I believe that I've read that U of M was part of the Pac#? in the early history of the conference.

How many Montana high school kids are recruited to FBS teams each year? A small handful at most. Would that then suggest that a Pac 12 Montana team would need to recruit 90% of its' players from out-of-state? Is that a good concept for a state funded school to promote? The culture of the program would certainly change.

The Montana schools will not get asked to join the PAC12. A more realistic scenario of a possible move up is if the PAC12 poaches teams from the Mountain West. Then the Mountain West calls the Montana schools with an invite to replace the schools it lost.. Even then, that scenario isn't a guarantee either.

But absolutely no way does the PAC12 even consider for one second inviting the Montana schools.

DrainBramage said:
I believe that I've read that U of M was part of the Pac#? in the early history of the conference.

How many Montana high school kids are recruited to FBS teams each year? A small handful at most. Would that then suggest that a Pac 12 Montana team would need to recruit 90% of its' players from out-of-state? Is that a good concept for a state funded school to promote? The culture of the program would certainly change.
I think it was the Pacific coast conference, the PAC8? A part of major college football.

get'em_griz said:
The Montana schools will not get asked to join the PAC12. A more realistic scenario of a possible move up is if the PAC12 poaches teams from the Mountain West. Then the Mountain West calls the Montana schools with an invite to replace the schools it lost.. Even then, that scenario isn't a guarantee either.

But absolutely no way does the PAC12 even consider for one second inviting the Montana schools.
Good post, this is probably the most realistic scenario that could potentially happen for Montana to "move up", but can't a Montana Griz football fan dream, for at least a minute? What if...

indian-outlaw said:
DrainBramage said:

I think it was the Pacific coast conference, the PAC8? A part of major college football.

If I remember my history correctly from the NCAA foodball games on XBox, UCLA is the Bruins because Montana was already the Grizzlies.

timjayko said:
get'em_griz said:

Good post, this is probably the most realistic scenario that could potentially happen for Montana to "move up", but can't a Montana Griz football fan dream, for at least a minute? What if...
We have the same chance of joining the Pac12 as we do the NFC West.

uofmman1122 said:
timjayko said:

Are you trying to start an NFC West move up discussion? That’s a very sneaky way of doing it😎.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Are you trying to start an NFC West move up discussion? That’s a very sneaky way of doing it😎.
In the NFC West, how would it look to have Ferris St. on the schedule?

Hard to know what is going to be left of the PAC-12 after the other conferences finish raiding them. Montana and Montana State receiving an invitation from the PAC-12 sounds as impossible as Montana beating Washington last year and most of you thought it was impossible. Montana and Montana State are very good schools located in a desirable, beautiful state. Both schools are competitive in athletics and feature beautiful facilities. Montana was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference for a number of years, thus, not totally unfamiliar to some of the old timers in the PAC-12. Montana has two highly qualified executives with Bodnar and Haslam who are very capable of putting the deal together if given the opportunity. Success in such an endeavor would be one of their historical achievements at Montana.

Spanky2 said:
Montana was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference for a number of years, thus, not totally unfamiliar to some of the old timers in the PAC-12.

I am told that USC never visited Montana or Idaho while the PCC existed. Is this the case? I know that USC would only play “away” games with Oregon State in what was then the larger stadium in Portland. That might have been true with UO, but there apparently were a couple visits to old Hayward Field in that time.

Of course the LA schools got tired of being with schools they wouldn’t visit and eventually brought the other California schools and Washington to an agreement to form the Athletic Association of Western Universities. The state legislature in Washington later decided that Washington State be required to be in the same conference as Washington, hence the AAWU admitted Washington State. Just a handful of years later, the conference admitted Oregon and Oregon State. This conference was soon renamed the Pac-8. I think you know the story from there.

Among many other things, I think this demonstrates that arrogance has always been a driver in college athletics, and probably always will be.

timjayko said:
Oh, and no high school football players in Montana would join a school like Montana if they were in the Pac-12 and have to play Oregon or Utah at Washington-Grizzly stadium. Terrible recruiting sales pitch, isn't it.

Yeah, that would be part of the sales pitch. 'You'll get a full ride scholarship, I promise, just hang in there and wait and say nothing.' Then, the recruit will vet the program, then talk to Zac Crews. Three Pinocchio's award winning pitch! POOF!

Back