• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What I'm watching for in camp

Good post but I would disagree that Malik Flowers is the best return man Montana Griz football has ever had. Marc Mariani was the greatest, it's why he ended up on the Titans and made the Pro Bowl his rookie year as a return man. It wasn't until the following NFL season when the kickoff rule change happened (bumped the kickoff up 5 yards for player safety) and Mariani eventually severely broke a leg that he disappeared too quickly
from the pro football world, and too young at that.
Maybe if Flowers makes a splash as a returner in the NFL, maybe then would I consider him the greatest Griz returner we've ever had.

AZGrizFan said:
I want to know who’s filling four VERY big shoes on defense: Robertson’s and Hicks-Onu’s.

The defense (when those guys were missing) was measurably worse.
What this dude said.

I think some people might be sleeping on Jayden Dawson, the dude was All Big Sky during the Covid Year and got an honourable mention nod last year. Hicks-Onu was the deal but between Dawson and Walker and the new guy from San Deigo Mesa -Travillion would should be fine. Also Robert Whitehead was a high reputation guy coming out of HS in California, hasn't really landed in the right spot yet but he might be one to watch as well.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz2k said:
Don't forget about K/P. Good battles coming at both positions. Tough to replace such an accurate kicker like Macias. Can Capser or Rohrbach fill the need? Maybe the transfer? Rohrbach or Botkin at punter I presume, but again, big shoes to fill. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out now that everyone is in camp.

Solution? Never have to punt…never settle for FG’s. :lol:

Well that works!

timjayko said:
Good post but I would disagree that Malik Flowers is the best return man Montana Griz football has ever had. Marc Mariani was the greatest, it's why he ended up on the Titans and made the Pro Bowl his rookie year as a return man. It wasn't until the following NFL season when the kickoff rule change happened (bumped the kickoff up 5 yards for player safety) and Mariani eventually severely broke a leg that he disappeared too quickly
Maybe if Flowers makes a splash as a returner in the NFL, maybe then would I consider him the greatest Griz returner we've ever had.

This is a total spin-off in the broader conversation of this thread, however I had some tweets on this recently. I'm talking specifically kick returning only and when you look at the stats, Malik with 1 year to go, has far surpassed any other kick returner the Griz have had. I think he has something like 500 more KR yards right now that Mariani did and 3 or 4 more TDs. When talking KR only, he's the best we've ever had.

Thanks, Brint for the write-up, always look forward to your scriptures!
I believe still this team will go only as far as the OL will take it.
K/P I am not worried about these positions at all. We have Bobby Hauck as our coach, a special team's expert!
I hope for once in a very long time, our RB's can stay healthy. I can't remember the last time a Griz Rb who started the season was still starting at the end of the season?
Looking forward to this season a lot more mainly because I am retired now, and I can go to every game!

Go Griz!

reinell30 said:
K/P I am not worried about these positions at all. We have Bobby Hauck as our coach, a special team's expert!
I hope for once in a very long time, our RB's can stay healthy. I can't remember the last time a Griz Rb who started the season was still starting at the end of the season?
Looking forward to this season a lot more mainly because I am retired now, and I can go to every game!

Go Griz!
What he said!!

grizare#1 said:
reinell30 said:

Go Griz!
What he said!!

Wow, short memory. In 2019, Knight came in and played a ton in the first game and started every game since that all season. . .without injury. Went on to lead the top scoring offense in the Big Sky and at the top of the FCS. They were almost perfect in the red zone and on third down, with his production. First 1000 yard rusher in close to a decade for UM, and broke the schools single season touchdown record, while earning Newcomer of the Year in the Big Sky. COVID left us all without football In 2020, and then he had an unfortunate spring camp injury that kept him out last year. If he is ready to return, we are back in action, once again. He only missed a year, if you really think about it.

BWahlberg said:
timjayko said:

This is a total spin-off in the broader conversation of this thread, however I had some tweets on this recently. I'm talking specifically kick returning only and when you look at the stats, Malik with 1 year to go, has far surpassed any other kick returner the Griz have had. I think he has something like 500 more KR yards right now that Mariani did and 3 or 4 more TDs. When talking KR only, he's the best we've ever had.
First off thank you for all the work that you do, I genuinely enjoy reading your write ups.

The reason I bring this up is because Flowers being labeled the best KR at Montana (ever) is such a bold, powerful claim.
Regarding Mariani as a griz player compared to Flowers, I'm talking KR only, and regarding your stats, stats aren't everything. In terms of raw speed, I would take Flowers any day, don't get me wrong, but just look at Marianis kick returns against SDSU in the 2009 playoffs alone for reference. You've at least seen the highlights from that game, right? There was just something about the way #80 moved out there on special teams, well it was special. So special that Mariani was a ROOKIE* NFL pro bowl KR. Let's see what Flowers does his final year and beyond (hopefully including an FCS playoffs run) before we ship such a bold claim of him being the greatest, but I hope you're right and hope I'm convinced by the end of the year.

Can we just agree both MM80 and Malik are ridiculously special talents and we’ve been blessed to have them both?

timjayko said:
BWahlberg said:
First off thank you for all the work that you do, I genuinely enjoy reading your write ups.

The reason I bring this up is because Flowers being labeled the best KR at Montana (ever) is such a bold, powerful claim.
Regarding Mariani as a griz player compared to Flowers, I'm talking KR only, and regarding your stats, stats aren't everything. In terms of raw speed, I would take Flowers any day, don't get me wrong, but just look at Marianis kick returns against SDSU in the 2009 playoffs alone for reference. You've at least seen the highlights from that game, right? There was just something about the way #80 moved out there on special teams, well it was special. So special that Mariani was a ROOKIE* NFL pro bowl KR. Let's see what Flowers does his final year and beyond (hopefully including an FCS playoffs run) before we ship such a bold claim of him being the greatest, but I hope you're right and hope I'm convinced by the end of the year.

Completely agree with Brent. Malik has passed Mariani in avg per KO, yards, and TD’s with a full Sr season to go. With 80 yards he’ll pass Rob Schulte in career yards and already has more TD’s then any other Griz KR ever. If he can get enough returns this year to take two more back, he’ll own the Division 1 record, not just FCS. Tim, you’re saying that Mariani is better based off one game where he returned a TD and averaged 25 yards a return his other three returns? Nonsense. I’m assuming you’re also basing part of your argument on Mariani’s NFL success? He did none of that while in a Griz uni. Brent said best Griz KR ever. Not best Griz KR that also KR’ed in the NFL. On a side note. Mariani did return after his Titans injury and played 2 more seasons for Chi where he averaged almost two more yards a return then he did at Tennessee. Not saying he didn’t deserve the pro bowl nod as a rookie but that was largely due to Tennessee’s defense being garbage and he returned the ball 60 times that year which led the league.

Latest posts

Back