• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's it gonna take

BadlandsGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Homecoming is as close to a sellout as we will probably get. probably a hundred or two tickets left. We do charge more for tickets than even NDSU and they should charge a lot. NDSU for big games is 41/51 depending on where you sit. we charge 46/53 I do believe for our big games and we put in 7k more people than the fargodome does. I think fargo dome is like 19k cap and we are 26 cap. If you graph everything we make more money getting 23k at most games at 50 a pop than 26,500 at even 40 a pop. The laws of economics will always dictate ticket prices. we would have to average around 21K a game for them to make a rational decision to lower ticket prices even 10 dollars. Assuming that that 10 dollars would increase attendance back to max. which it wouldn't. 50 bucks for a family of 4 to attend a game..pay for some food another 40 bucks and assuming they live in Missoula...is not feasible. Many families in Missoula do not have additional income of $250.00 to take the kids to a football game on a regular basis

Good points...it would be interesting to put together some numbers for schools to see the average distance traveled per fanbase at the games as well. I would be willing to bet money that the Griz are number one in that category based off just geography alone. The huge land mass that Montana encompasses, Missoula being on the furthest most western side, and our large fan base along the high line and eastern Montana in Sidney, Glendive etc.....

Based on those factors I would say Montana fans spend by far more than any fanbase in the nation to watch their team.
Using full cost of mileage, our costs are right at a grand per game (4 seats upstairs on the 30), more for the noon starts late in the season that require a two night stay.

BWahlberg said:
Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

I think we're starting to see a shift in fan attendance nationally. I can think of many people like my parents who are in their mid-70's and have sat in the same seats since Wa-Griz opened. Factors like the weather has had them start to consider not going to later games in the season, I know there's 1000's of other regular season ticket holders that do the same.

On the other end of the spectrum it seems the student interest isn't there like it was before either. The Football team is a constant punching bag on social media through many student outlets and I just don't think many of them think it's something they'd have fun going to. The UM is offering all sorts of giveaways and prizes for student attendance and the football team is doing the fight song in front of them... and still the attendance there seems to be the most lacking.
I absolutely agree with you, BW. My spouse and I are in your parents' age bracket. We have been season ticket holders since the year before UM moved into WaGriz. For all those years, we have planned our autumn around Griz games, have gone to numerous out-of-town games, including two national championships in Chattanooga. I think I have missed something like four home games in that time, always with a real excuse (like having to go to my brother's wedding in Arizona). And we continue to be at every possible game. However, when November rolls around, I begin to wonder if our 70+ bodies will endure the cold of a given game. And, I look at the folks who are seated (and have been) around us - without exception, they are in our age group. There are NO 30 or 40-year-olds in sight!!!! Who is going to fill our seats when we can no longer do so?

I will, at some point in the distant future, be happy to pass our seats on to our daughter and son-in-law, but I'm not sure they really care that that is part of their inheritance, i.e. the game tomorrow will be the first one they've attended this season, and that only because a friend gave them tickets. Oh, they are nominal Griz fans, but it's not a part of their being, like it is for us.

I have no idea what the future of football in general and Griz football in particular holds. But, I will be a part of it as long as I can. And I'd sure like this ol' girl to get to see another Griz national championship.

Interesting points, '68. I know some other programs do things like a "Young Alum" season ticket section, etc. These are usually not the premium seats, but the under 45ish crowd can be among each other, often with kids, etc. They sell it as a whole community thing. They have their own tailgate and social scene. I know it's not simple to implement at present, but it can and does sell tix to those who might not otherwise buy them. Feeling like part of a subgroup can really do wonders. Just a thought.

'68griz said:
BWahlberg said:
Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

I think we're starting to see a shift in fan attendance nationally. I can think of many people like my parents who are in their mid-70's and have sat in the same seats since Wa-Griz opened. Factors like the weather has had them start to consider not going to later games in the season, I know there's 1000's of other regular season ticket holders that do the same.

On the other end of the spectrum it seems the student interest isn't there like it was before either. The Football team is a constant punching bag on social media through many student outlets and I just don't think many of them think it's something they'd have fun going to. The UM is offering all sorts of giveaways and prizes for student attendance and the football team is doing the fight song in front of them... and still the attendance there seems to be the most lacking.
I absolutely agree with you, BW. My spouse and I are in your parents' age bracket. We have been season ticket holders since the year before UM moved into WaGriz. For all those years, we have planned our autumn around Griz games, have gone to numerous out-of-town games, including two national championships in Chattanooga. I think I have missed something like four home games in that time, always with a real excuse (like having to go to my brother's wedding in Arizona). And we continue to be at every possible game. However, when November rolls around, I begin to wonder if our 70+ bodies will endure the cold of a given game. And, I look at the folks who are seated (and have been) around us - without exception, they are in our age group. There are NO 30 or 40-year-olds in sight!!!! Who is going to fill our seats when we can no longer do so?

I will, at some point in the distant future, be happy to pass our seats on to our daughter and son-in-law, but I'm not sure they really care that that is part of their inheritance, i.e. the game tomorrow will be the first one they've attended this season, and that only because a friend gave them tickets. Oh, they are nominal Griz fans, but it's not a part of their being, like it is for us.

I have no idea what the future of football in general and Griz football in particular holds. But, I will be a part of it as long as I can. And I'd sure like this ol' girl to get to see another Griz national championship.

Great post, 68!! :clap: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:
Back in the day, the stadium had the smoke jumpers and the best mascot in the country. This made the pre game and game day one of the best around.A lot of people and casual fans came because it was a great show as well as a dominant football team. Bobby is going to do his part. The marketing team needs to step their game up, think outside the box and make the game day unique again. That will put those casual fans butts in those remaining empty seats.

Agree 100%. Monte has become a non entertaining fact. The Pre-game is boring and OUTDATED! Some fans will come back again because of Bobby and winning, but the whole scene needs to get updated.

What does Monte do pregame now..havent been to a game in about 3 years.

You should drop the "lands" out of your name. Ha.

Lol I live in Dallas man...tho they did just open direct flights from DFW to Montana so I plan on using those.

Back