• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's the problem?

GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
It's football and people hit each other, sometimes even hard.
Nice deflection but not an answer unless you believe Montana has an average injury situation in football and as discussed on the basketball site here, Women's bball. Yes people do hit each other and get hit but UM seems to be more prone than the average fcs team.

Injuries don't discriminate by uniform. UM isn't more prone, they have just been more unlucky.

Helena, it is a fact that the Griz team has a major injury problem. This includes our QB, now led by a player with promise, but currently with issues.

Part of it is perception. We know about our injured/ill players, but most of us don't follow other teams closely enough to know about their team's injury/illness situations.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32489225/ed-orgeron-says-lsu-tigers-hold-football-practice-due-number-injuries

I think the injury bug ebbs and flows with most programs, it wasn’t too many years ago we had to play what…4 QB’s one year? And then Sneed comes along and we’re good for a couple years. I think every program deals with injury-plagued years, it really comes into focus when one position gets devastated like that QB year or the RB situation this year.

I guess if a team doesn’t have a good conditioning program or monitor off-season workouts it could contribute to injuries by players not being in game shape, but I don’t imagine that ever being an issue with a Hauck team.

I think we’re simply a little snake bit this year, maybe the law of averages will be in our favor for a while after this.

jodcon said:
I think the injury bug ebbs and flows with most programs, it wasn’t too many years ago we had to play what…4 QB’s one year? And then Sneed comes along and we’re good for a couple years.
Sneed was hurt his senior year and never looked the same again.

jodcon said:
I think every program deals with injury-plagued years, it really comes into focus when one position gets devastated like that QB year or the RB situation this year.

I guess if a team doesn’t have a good conditioning program or monitor off-season workouts it could contribute to injuries by players not being in game shape, but I don’t imagine that ever being an issue with a Hauck team.

I think we’re simply a little snake bit this year, maybe the law of averages will be in our favor for a while after this.
It sure is a mystery this year, for sure.

Although, since 2009, I think we've only had like 2 seasons where the QB didn't miss at least one game due to injury.

2010 - Selle goes down for the year.
2011 - JJ missed the UNC game.
2012 - Mckinney got benched, but I don't remember either him or SSH getting injured....so that's one.
2013 - I think JJ played the whole year.
2014 - JJ missed two games due to injury.
2015 - 2017 I feel like I don't need to mention the specifics of these years, we all remember. :lol:
2018 - Sneed started every game.
2019 - Sneed missed 2.5 games and wasn't the same guy the second half of the year without his running ability.

That's some oddly bad QB luck for a college team to go through. Losing our starting QB for significant time in 6 out of the last 11 seasons sure seems like it's higher than "average". No idea why that is, though.

As for injuries as a whole, this year seems particularly bad, but that doesn't mean next year won't be just as bad. Injuries are pretty random.

(Dumb pedantic side note, but the "law of averages" isn't a thing. You're confusing it with the law of large numbers, which is a thing, but does not say that if you have 5 heads in a row flipping a coin that you're more likely to have 5 tails in a row afterwards) :thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
It is my understanding the Griz practices are much more physical than probably 90% of others. They do a ton of live hitting and tackling. Hauck is a huge believer in being physical in practice to be physical in games. A lot of programs have stepped away a bit from the physicality in practices. Whether that has anything to do with more injuries or less, I have no idea.

It's your understanding or your complete made up percentage? lol.
get out of here with that more physical than 90% of others. no one knows that.

It's football. injuries happen. why is this a topic?

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
HookedonGriz said:
It is my understanding the Griz practices are much more physical than probably 90% of others. They do a ton of live hitting and tackling. Hauck is a huge believer in being physical in practice to be physical in games. A lot of programs have stepped away a bit from the physicality in practices. Whether that has anything to do with more injuries or less, I have no idea.

It is a topic because so many Griz fans are looking desperately for reason why we have not "Returned To Dominance". Popular excuses are injuries and referees. However, don't EVER touch the subject of recruiting, nor coaching, for these are hallowed ground, never to be visited, for fear of being labeled a BAD FAN.

If anyone thinks that our current coaches have done a great job in recruiting QBs, O-linemen, or D-linemen capable of pressuring the QB, please step up to the plate here.......

hunt-ducks said:

It is a topic because so many Griz fans are looking desperately for reason why we have not "Returned To Dominance". Popular excuses are injuries and referees. However, don't EVER touch the subject of recruiting, nor coaching, for these are hallowed ground, never to be visited, for fear of being labeled a BAD FAN.

If anyone thinks that our current coaches have done a great job in recruiting QBs, O-linemen, or D-linemen capable of pressuring the QB, please step up to the plate here.......

Here comes the recruit and ....it's a swing and a miss.

AZGrizFan said:
My understanding is the following:

* Knight’s injury was non-contact (I’m remembering that from the time it was discussed at length here….could be misremembering)
* Ostmo’s occurred in practice I believe
* Childs was injured in the game
* Harris was injured in-game during the Sac State contest
* Humphrey was injured in the game
* Sulser was injured in-game
* Babros and Alford appear to be “injury prone”, based on the number of times they go down in-game, but then return. Hasn’t been anything serious yet with either
* Robertson was an illness

Who am I missing? It doesn’t appear that most (or even many) of the injuries occurred in practice….but I could be missing other guys…those are the ones who hurt the most, IMHO.

Alford is not injury prone. It is Belknap that seems to go down 3 or 4 times a game and/or miss games. Last week's announcer incorrectly called #90 Belknap as #91 Alford every time he was down.

HookedonGriz said:

Every single one of our FBS drop downs have publicly stated that practices are way more physical with Hauck and staff than where they were.

I do know of one percentage that I absolutely love …Weber fake punting on you dumb fucks three times and getting 100% of them. That was beautiful! Now go fuck yourself.

Latest posts

Back