• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who Knows People With CV19...Montana Or Else where?

PlayerRep said:
grizband said:
The gentleman from living in Troy, who recently passed away, was a former high school teacher here in Walla Walla. I'm new to the area, but many Facebook posts espouse how formative he was to numerous people in the area as a former high school teacher.

On what Facebook areas are these posts. My sister and brother in law knew him. They, like him, live at Bull Lake, south of Troy. My in-laws are recently retired teachers and administrators. I'm sure they'd love to look at the Facebook posts. My brother in law was pretty good friends with him. The guy, and his wife, had acquired various properties on Angel Island, which is at the north end of Bull Lake, and accessible by road.

Bull Lake is a wonderful place. On road from Libby/Troy to Noxon. The lake is nice, especially for recreation. The area is beautiful. The Half Way House, a bar and restaurant, is fun. The guy spent his share of time there. Ross Creek Cedars, behind the lake, is a magical and great place, with nice easy hiking and lots of cedars. A gem.
PR, a couple people I've met since I moved to Walla Walla have shared posts, with comments from other locals, about the man. I never had the good fortune of knowing him, but he was well respected in the community here.

I now know 2 people personally who have acquired the virus. Neither required any medical attention. As of this morning I believe we have about 70 cases in the county. None have required hospitalization. Silver lining I suppose.

A communication I got today:

"Lives in Georgia, rural area outside Atlanta. Profile of older, some issues. Got Covid 19. Was in critical condition. Hospital now administering the anti malaria drugs that are in large supply and have been in existence for 60 plus years (refined obviously over time)

This morning's text from X:"

"My dad is now getting 2 doses a day of the anti malaria drug that was just approved my the FDA. His blood pressure and temperature are back to normal levels. He's still on the ventilator, but I'm sure he'll be off soon as things keep progressing."

PlayerRep said:

"Lives in Georgia, rural area outside Atlanta. Profile of older, some issues. Got Covid 19. Was in critical condition. Hospital now administering the anti malaria drugs that are in large supply and have been in existence for 60 plus years (refined obviously over time)

"My dad is now getting 2 doses a day of the anti malaria drug that was just approved my the FDA. His blood pressure and temperature are back to normal levels. He's still on the ventilator, but I'm sure he'll be off soon as things keep progressing."

That's hopeful! I think all of us are crossing our fingers that that drug combo can be a game changer.

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

That's hopeful! I think all of us are crossing our fingers that that drug combo can be a game changer.

Thanks for sharing PR. Obviously everyone reacts to the virus differently, and I assume people will have different reactions to treatments, but that's certainly a positive sign, as I don't believe the survival rates for those on a respirator are very high. Positive thoughts to your friends.

Flights are really cheap.

Just heard of someone booking a flight from East Coast to MSO for 7,000 frequent flier miles, one-way. Is okay with the quarantine, apparently.

"ThePointsGuy: Airlines offering "historically, dirt-cheap airfare" amid outbreak
Brian Kelly, founder of ThePointsGuy.com, talks the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on airline operations and travel prices."

Read in CNBC: https://apple.news/AA-3pS4E1SGOaNxiI61Bo7w

Looks like about 2/3 of the flights to and from MSO are still operating:

https://flymissoula.com/flight_info/

Just got this email from a good friend:

"My brother, X, in Y is quite ill with the virus and I am concerned about his family. His wife, Z, whom you also know, has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and is also very ill with the virus. Their older son seems to be getting over it but their youngest son is very ill at the moment. It’s been very difficult for them."

Huge bummer.

Friend in Las Vegas, and half sister in Massachusetts. Both home from hospital and feeling much better. Both have horror stories of the conditions in the hospital. My sister shared a room with a woman in her 80s that was very scared, and family couldn’t visit. She passed away two days later. Gut wrenching to hear my sister tell the story.

My Nephew was working in the same room as someone who tested positive here in Missoula. He is now doing the 15 day thing with no symptoms as of yet!

Update:

Our nephew's wife's uncle, about 70 and with some health problems, just died in Atlanta. Had been on ventilator and gotten better for a couple days with the malaria drugs, but then went south again. We could the news during a family Zoom call. Another bummer.

We are good friends with a couple who knows the guy who died in Missoula. About 60. Was kind of a home body. Weird. Bummer.

Our Bozeman frontline nurse/niece just found out she was negative. Back to work for her.

Our relatives who know the first guy to die in MT, in Libby area, say they went to a different funeral today. Family was spread out under a canopy. Pallbearers all had masks and were spread out. Others had to stay behind a chain link fence near their cars.

It's so sad that family and friends can't be closer to their family and friends when they are sick and dying, and even after they die.

BozAngelesGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Two in-laws, a couple in their mid-forties, and both very fit, are recovering. The husband was very, very ill and was nearly put on a respirator. You do NOT want to be infected with this nasty virus!

*ventilator, not respirator. Very different. Glad they recovered and hope it doesn’t affect you further.

Thanks for catching my error and for the best wishes, Boz. My in-laws are recovering. Another case of the virus smacking down men worse than women!

not a direct relative, but we have a friend in eastern washington who's brother, sister-in law, and niece all have the virus, and all are apparently are in pretty bad shape.

argh! said:
not a direct relative, but we have a friend in eastern washington who's brother, sister-in law, and niece all have the virus, and all are apparently are in pretty bad shape.

I hope they get through it.

A college friend 6 years younger than me, has it. Pilot for Delta. Got it via work. Gave it to his wife. Both doing fairly well now. They live in Florida. He's a former college receiver and very fit. I missed seeing him on spring break by a couple days.

My college son was a bit sick in early January. Upper respiratory. He went to his doc in Missoula. Then stayed with a friend in Chattanooga, and went twice to doc there. Started school in Tenn. Got sicker. Fever, cough, sore throat, mucus, couldn't breath, chest tight. We had him go to ER over MLK weekend. His oxygen level was down, coughing and trouble breathing. They checked him into the hospital for 2 days and night. Did an MRI and other tests. He was on oxygen. They looked at pneumonia and looked for a clot in his lung. Told him they thought it was something that I've never heard of, and can't remember, which is apparently a parent name for diseases that include pneumonia. They asked him if he had traveled out of the country. He doesn't recall them mentioning any new/strange virus. I flew down and spent 5 days with him. He got better each day. His bill was $31,000, I think, before concessions to insurance. After concessions, was $21,000. Cost us about $4,000, as early in year and his deductible was still unused. I, being the internet guy I am, was all over the strange China Wuhan virus starting in fairly early January. First tested case in US was in Seattle on Jan. 20 (so after my son was in the hospital). I was jokingly calling my son Wuhan John when I visited him in Tenn. He went to Mardi Gras too. Almost a third of his class went. He said they were all sick when they got home. Hopefully, he's already had it and is immune, so, when the bars open, he won't bring it home to my wife and me.

or anybody else.

glad he got better. a little surprised he went to mardi gras afterward, but if he was never given an accurate diagnosis, understand why he might want to, especially if he figures he's immune.

interesting you called it the wuhan virus. that is the name my friends in china called it at the start, and some still do. you probably know the rest of the story. sadly, they were not surprised to find out that i knew more about what was going on than they did. censorship is a powerful too, but it is too obvious.

argh! said:
or anybody else.

glad he got better. a little surprised he went to mardi gras afterward, but if he was never given an accurate diagnosis, understand why he might want to, especially if he figures he's immune.

interesting you called it the wuhan virus. that is the name my friends in china called it at the start, and some still do. you probably know the rest of the story. sadly, they were not surprised to find out that i knew more about what was going on than they did. censorship is a powerful too, but it is too obvious.

At the time, my son didn't know much about the Virus. Don't think at the time that it ever occurred to him that he'd had it. I assumed that the docs would have told him he had it or probably had it or asked him to self quarantine, if they had thought that. Ir was probably too early for a rural hospital, as there were no cases in the US at the time. As we learned more about the symptoms weeks/months later, we started to wonder if he'd had it. Had I thought he had it, I would have taken more action with him with other medical people and quarantine, and wouldn't have been hanging out with him for 5 days when he was still recovering.

Kids, especially ones at his school, are not going to miss a party, like Mardi Gras, no matter what.

Both of my cousins (who live in different states) had it. One was on a ventilator. Pretty scary. Both have pulled through.

Back