• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

CatzWillRise said:
CBs are the Center of mid-major (FCS) basketball. Not enough to go around, so if you have any skill at all you land in the FBS.

Yes the Cats signed some high profile kids, but Tyler Thomas is 5'9 175, Jalen Cole, one of the prized recruits in Choate's first class is 5'8 150. Both high profile recruits but obviously size limited their FBS options. The Gibson twins bring a bit more height at 6' each, but again only 165 as true freshman.

CB seems to be the hardest position to recruit in the FCS.

exactly....there is not very many players that come in as CBs that play CB in FCS. Most FCS Cornerbacks are recruited as a Safety or WR or even RB

mtgrizfankb said:
blackfootipa said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.

Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.

Your sky high if you think that

I guess I am. You can convert and call Sean Anderson a CB for all I care. Fouch is the only guy that maybe...maybe they could convert but I would bet money he never does. There is no one capable of being a starting D1 Cornerback (Not Safety) for a contender in the 2018 recruiting class....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatzWillRise said:
CBs are the Center of mid-major (FCS) basketball. Not enough to go around, so if you have any skill at all you land in the FBS.

Yes the Cats signed some high profile kids, but Tyler Thomas is 5'9 175, Jalen Cole, one of the prized recruits in Choate's first class is 5'8 150. Both high profile recruits but obviously size limited their FBS options. The Gibson twins bring a bit more height at 6' each, but again only 165 as true freshman.

I agree with part of this sentiment, in that CBs seem to be the most enigmatic and unpredictable commodity for FCS to recruit, but to say "if you have any skill at all, you land in the FBS" is obviously wrong. Trumaine Johnson is the 2nd highest-paid CB in NFL history and in 2010 the Griz featured 2! future starting NFL CBs (Johnson and Wilson). Rashean Mathis was also an NFL Pro-Bowler in 2006 out of Bethune-Cookman . I didn't do much research on this at all, and I am sure there are many others

For the record, Calvin Coleman never played in the NFL but one more ex-Griz NFL-er CB that ppl forget that did is Jeff Shoate

Zirg said:
CatzWillRise said:

I agree with part of this sentiment, in that CBs seem to be the most enigmatic and unpredictable commodity for FCS to recruit, but to say "if you have any skill at all, you land in the FBS" is obviously wrong. Trumaine Johnson is the 2nd highest-paid CB in NFL history and in 2010 the Griz featured 2! future starting NFL CBs (Johnson and Wilson). Rashean Mathis was also an NFL Pro-Bowler in 2006 out of Bethune-Cookman . I didn't do much research on this at all, and I am sure there are many others

For the record, Calvin Coleman never played in the NFL but one more ex-Griz NFL-er CB that ppl forget that did is Jeff Shoate

Well there are always exceptions to the rule.

blackfootipa said:
mtgrizfankb said:
blackfootipa said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.

Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.

Your sky high if you think that

I guess I am. You can convert and call Sean Anderson a CB for all I care. Fouch is the only guy that maybe...maybe they could convert but I would bet money he never does. There is no one capable of being a starting D1 Cornerback (Not Safety) for a contender in the 2018 recruiting class....

Gabe Sulser could easily be a FCS cornerback but is way to talented on offense. Nash Fouch is more of a safety than corner. His brother Nick, who is already on the roster and redshirted last year, got converted to corner this spring. David Koppang wouldn't have the speed to be a shutdown corner but he is a good enough athlete compete at the position. Still more of a safety though.

I'm still optimistic that Eaton will be a good CB. I don't have any insight or special info. Just a hunch that he will thrive and produce given the right coaching and opportunity.

dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Ursus1 said:
Baffles me as well

Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him
If I remember correctly, I think we weren’t all in on him because he wasn’t all in on us, and may have been waiting for the UCLA offer.

Well you are remembering incorrectly. He wanted to sign early but Green told him to hold off because Hauck was not sure yet. He stay committed for weeks and weeks but then had to decomit when his offer was pulled. That is according to him when he talked to media. Also his father on here essentially said the same after one poster on here had a racist comment. That is about the closest sources you could have since we don’t have coach’s perspective on this.

That's what I thought too....thus the baffles me comment

Back