• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU

bgbigdog

DONOR
http://www.dailyprogress.com/starexponent/sports/bold-move-paid-off-for-jeff-bourne-jmu-football/article_054704ca-e1b6-11e6-b38f-775d58c9ccb1.html

Thought this was interesting.

Smack dab in the middle of Power 5 and other FBS conferences helps:

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/transfers-a-boon-for-dukes

“We’ve really built a new team every year here at JMU,” Schor said. “The people that we’ve got to come to JMU have been good, quality guys like Terrence coming in from an ACC school. He fit right in.”

'68griz said:
JMU certainly has more vision than UM has shown in the past decade.

How so? I mean, specifically as relates to the comments in this article? The fact that the AD had the guts to fire a long-term coach? Or because the president didn't fuck things up by firing a good coach and AD for no reason? Because other than that, I'd say the jury is still out on how UM's vision over the past couple years (post Day, Pflu and UM Prez) plays out...

AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

How so? I mean, specifically as relates to the comments in this article? The fact that the AD had the guts to fire a long-term coach? Or because the president didn't f*** things up by firing a good coach and AD for no reason? Because other than that, I'd say the jury is still out on how UM's vision over the past couple years (post Day, Pflu and UM Prez) plays out...

Considering that in the last few years the school finished fundraising for the Champions Center and put the construction pieces in place, that is laughable compared to almost any school at our level or even lower FBS. Yes there have been many shortcomings from the UM administration, but our fans forget how good we actually have it here in my opinion.

'68griz said:

Why?? Because they fired a coach, and UM hasnt after his second season?

The last thing our program needs is another rapid coaching turnover....

Also have we not been able to continue to grow our program by building state of the art facilities recently???

We just went through 2 years of rennovations to the already nicest stadium in FCS...we made it better.

New video boards and jumbo tron and speakers.....

Have we not improved the student athlete aspect by building a student athlete lounge/study center?

Have we not began construction on a new world class training facility and locker/meeting rooms for the football program???

What vision is our athletics dept lacking??? Im really curious.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

Also have we not been able to continue to grow our program by building state of the art facilities recently???

We just went through 2 years of rennovations to the already nicest stadium in FCS...we made it better.

Have we not improved the student athlete aspect by building a student athlete lounge/study center?

Have we not began construction on a new world class training facility and locker/meeting rooms for the football program???

How to win?

The nicest facilities in the world don't mean anything if you don't have a leader to set the tone. I know for a fact Stitt's personality and ego have a negative effect on the players. I think the leadership on the football team is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

How to win?

Ok so were just back to the people that dont like Stitt..thats good.

I just wanted to make sure thats what were talking about rather than actually failing to see the strides our athletic dept has taken the last 3 years.

Hopefully Stitt can win us a chipper or two and make you haters eat your words. I don't know what you'll have to bitch about at that point.

Mont_Poke said:
The nicest facilities in the world don't mean anything if you don't have a leader to set the tone. I know for a fact Stitt's personality and ego have a negative effect on the players. I think the leadership on the football team is lacking.

Thanks, troll. Nice first post. :roll: :roll:

Mont_Poke said:

I agree, especially when the wheels fell off halfway through the season. Something happened..

I think the story has more relevance to Haslam right now than Stitt. Launching a tenured coach with a NC & multiple playoff appearances and then moving on from his replacement after a couple of non-losing seasons took courage. But he does have a vision, which you'd guess the administration bought off on. And so far, it seems to have worked out. We'll see how it progresses.

Stitt already knows what he needs to do to get the boat headed in the right direction, or @ least he believes he does. I would hope it's true, but I also hope Kent isn't going to sit on his hands because he's worried about how it looks.

Mont_Poke said:

The facilities at JMU are equal and might be better than UM's. The enrollment is far larger and more cosmopolitan and the Southern love for football is legendary. But, you, having facts about Stitt and his personality and ego, know more than anyone.

I think the facility improvements will help. I root for Stitt but I don't want to turn this post into whether or not he's a good leader/coach. I think we are taking steps to improve but unsure if they are the right ones.

Bridgeforth is every bit as nice as WaGriz, but their basketball facility isn't quite on par with Dahlberg (although it's still better than about 12 other bsc arenas).

But the statement that the athletic department has no vision for the past ten years is ludicrous. They've started a softball program, built a softball field, built an academic center, are building a top-notch Champions' Center, new scoreboard/video for FB and one on the way for BB, etc. Shit, that's 7 decades worth of improvement at any other bsc/fcs program.

Did JMU have an upgrade in their stadium since our playoff there? Their stadium was not as nice as Washington Grizzly. Not close.

I think it's a positive thing that the facilities are constantly being updated but let's face it JMU got
national attention beating the Bison's and winning the NC...getting a nice facilities are the icing on the cake..It gives the university a great advertising edge...so this coming year Stitt needs to bring his "A" game and start moving this team forward..after the Northern Arizona game the team never recovered and crashed...so the coaching plays a huge part in a success of a program and a university.....Stitt knew what he was getting himself into taking on this job and producing was one of them..l am hoping for a break out year if not our AD will have to make the same decision that JMU made...

BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

How to win?
Ok so were just back to the people that dont like Stitt..thats good.

I just wanted to make sure thats what were talking about rather than actually failing to see the strides our athletic dept has taken the last 3 years.

Hopefully Stitt can win us a chipper or two and make you haters eat your words. I don't know what you'll have to bitch about at that point.
Posters like you that use your defensive agenda to read far more into a three word post than was offered?

cmtgrizzly said:
Did JMU have an upgrade in their stadium since our playoff there? Their stadium was not as nice as Washington Grizzly. Not close.

Yes, Bridgeforth received a very nice expansion in 2011.

Before:
aerial.jpg

After:
JMU-stadium-large-2-1.jpg

Back