• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU

get'em_griz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Did JMU have an upgrade in their stadium since our playoff there? Their stadium was not as nice as Washington Grizzly. Not close.

Yes, Bridgeforth received a very nice expansion in 2011.

Before:
aerial.jpg

After:
JMU-stadium-large-2-1.jpg
That's impressive - most importantly they got the stands up to the field on the new side. In '08 we sat on the remaining side to the right, which was the main side then and is a long way from the field. Easy expansion by repeating the project to the remaining (right) side in the future. Current capacity listed at 24,877; doing the other side probably gets them above 35,000. 2016 enrollment listed as 21,227; UM's is listed at 10,999.

Doubt their time in FCS is much longer....

I have done electrial work on the JMU campus on several projects including the stadium renovation. The amount of money, both state and private, that has gone into their campus is Astronomical! 100s of millions in the last 18 years. There is a very large conference and events center going in now which is co-funded by JMU and the city of Harrisonburg just a couple of blocks from the stadium. Won't have to use Tudie Gusties next time the Griz come to play. On a side note...It was 76 feet from the field to the wall in front of the first row of seats before the Reno! I measured it myself.

Funny story regarding the '04 NC game. We were in PA and left after work on Friday heading down I-81 on the way to Chatty. Got tired in the middle of VA and pulled over at this town called Harrisonburg, having no idea that that's where JMU was. So we check into the Holiday Inn just off the Interstate and head down to the bar, where we find a virtual shrine to the Dukes and full of fans. Of course we had our Griz gear on and had to have pretty blank looks on our faces. But we never had to buy a drink the rest of the night; maybe they knew something about the outcome the next night that we didn't....

That 2004 Chattanooga turf still haunts my dreams. My neighbor has chicken wire on his patio railing so his dogs don't get through. Every time I take out the garbage and see it, I have a flashback. I will never get over it.

CDAGRIZ said:
That 2004 Chattanooga turf still haunts my dreams. My neighbor has chicken wire on his patio railing so his dogs don't get through. Every time I take out the garbage and see it, I have a flashback. I will never get over it.
The Talmage drop in the endzone and the blown OB call on the runback haunt me more. With a much bigger lead, they would not have been able to run over us late the way they did with their huge size advantage.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
The Talmage drop in the endzone and the blown OB call on the runback haunt me more. With a much bigger lead, they would not have been able to run over us late the way they did with their huge size advantage.

No. It was the turf, bro. The turf. When LV caught that TD pass, I thought we were on our way. Then, the turf happened. It was the single most awful sporting event ever put on. Chattanooga should be ashamed forever. I still count that game as a National Championship win for the Griz. If the Cats can count a three-way tie for third as a BSC championship, I get 2004 v. JMU.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No. It was the turf, bro. The turf. When LV caught that TD pass, I thought we were on our way. Then, the turf happened. It was the single most awful sporting event ever put on. Chattanooga should be ashamed forever. I still count that game as a National Championship win for the Griz. If the Cats can count a three-way tie for third as a BSC championship, I get 2004 v. JMU.

Far be it from me to disagree with the Master, but Mr. CDA, I believe have an inherent contradiction within your own post.

most awful sporting event

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Far be it from me to disagree with the Master, but Mr. CDA, I believe have an inherent contradiction within your own post.

I ran this by the crack eGriz Research Team (ERT) and they agree with EG.

uw_nuclear_reactor.trainees.jpg

File Photo

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Touche, EG, touche. You are correct; the Cats have always held the worst sporting events in the history of the World. The JMU debacle of a "game" holds no candle to the many hosted by Reno H. Sales Stadium. Why, the uneven turf itself claimed a few ACLs! When Stitt decides to put players' faces on porta-potties, we will talk.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Both teams had the same turf to play on. The field was no worse than in 2000 when it had 6" of water standing. We are in the redzone 4 times late without scoring. Miller was out, Edwards was not up to it and field goals were out of question in the standing water. But Adrian Peterson could still run. Two examples of when a running game trumps a passing game.

When the nightmare of 04 comes to my mind, I go to a happy place like.......Bridgeforth stadium on 12/12/2008. What an awesome night!

VAGriz said:
When the nightmare of 04 comes to my mind, I go to a happy place like.......Bridgeforth stadium on 12/12/2008. What an awesome night!
The wheel route TD pass; Bergquist to Reynolds; Jeff Fisher was just across the isle from us and he went nuts. JMU had 334 yards rushing.
I never heard a quieter crowd leave a stadium - well maybe until 11/19/16.

kemajic said:
VAGriz said:
The wheel route TD pass; Bergquist to Reynolds; Jeff Fisher was just across the isle from us and he went nuts. JMU has 334 yards rushing.
I never heard a quieter crowd leave a stadium - well maybe until 11/19/16.

A creative offensive play, i'm sure Jeff Fisher went nuts. He should have been taking notes.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

I ran this by the crack eGriz Research Team (ERT) and they agree with EG.

nutty-prof.jpg

Coach archives

FIFY

2008 was a great game in VA. Drove up from Durham with a buddy. Sat in the high school type bleachers with the rest of the griz fans but my friend (a die hard razorback fan from Little Rock) was impressed with the football and enjoyed himself immensely. Now a griz fan too. JMU students were SOBs. I suppose ours can be too. When I went to the UM we didnt have enough students in the stands for anyone to notice. I think we had to walk about two blocks (at Bridgeforth) to a little shack for food/drink which reminded me of Daylis stadium in Billings

'68griz said:
JMU certainly has more vision than UM has shown in the past decade.

JMU has a lot more money.

Have you seen what they charge students for athletic fees. Something tells me you would bitch either way.

PhxGriz said:
'68griz said:
JMU certainly has more vision than UM has shown in the past decade.

JMU has a lot more money.

Have you seen what they charge students for athletic fees. Something tells me you would bitch either way.
It's quite possible UM's declining enrollment (and money) has a lot to do with vision - or lack thereof.

Back