• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Make no mistake this game was lost in the trenches....

Here, here, Playerep and ranco !!!

We made Wyoming's offense one-dimensional: they had to run because they had so little success throwing the ball--less than one hundred yards, and we sacked their QB Kirkegaard 6 times--those are big numbers at any level !!!

While we need to make a few tweaks here and there on D and yes, once again improve our tackling and wrap up, our D was sound.

And considering our running game or lack thereof, the huge disparity in time of possession as a result, and our woeful performance at the kicker position, we were right there !!!

Our run blocking needs to greatly improve--I am an optimist and think it will, and I hope Mick settles on Sullivan as our kicker. If Greenberg can't make a PAT, he will probably pee his football pants if called upon to kick a game-wining 40-45 yard FG later in the season.

indian-outlaw said:
I must have watched a different game. I did think the griz would win this game but I thought Wyoming was tougher than expected. I thought the griz D looked very stout. The offense was a little out of sync but that sometimes happens in the early season. The o-line looked pretty good all things considered and the d-line looked superb. The linebackers looked very solid and I am optomistic about this year. JJ was a little off but he will find a way to score even with a weaker than normal o-line. Our d will win many games this year.

I must have watched the same game you did. I know it’s not the trendy and cool e-griz shtick, but this is a pretty good assessment of the game.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Egriz will be full of opinions tonight, play calling, coaching, time out strategy etc. all contributed to the Griz loss but when you run for only 43 yards and a 2.2 rushing ave. you won't win many games. Plus the Griz D got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground. Even with a plus 2 turnover margin, the Griz could not hold off that running attack of Wyo. A classic Bohl victory?

The Wyo. run game hurt us, was hard to stop at times, and on several drives, but giving up 209 yards (4.5 per carry) in the run game and only 92 in the pass game to a Mountain West team is actually quite good. 6 sacks and 9 TFL is very good. 58 yards on 1 rush, so, without that one, a bit over 3 yards per carry.

To put in a bit of perspective. UM is 30th in the nation in total defense. Somewhere a bit below 50th in rushing defense. 1st in team sacks.

Yes, running for only 43 yards is not good.

I think Wyoming's low passing numbers says more about their offense than the Griz defense.

Yes, but only to some extent. Wyo. threw 21 passes. UM's pass defense was pretty good. Giving up only 301 yards to a Mountain West offense is good.

Just because Wyoming threw 21 passes does not mean their passing game is good...it does not even mean that it is close to average. I think as the season goes, we will see that Wyoming is right at the bottom in offense, not only in the MW, but in all of FBS football.

billingsgriz said:
Our run blocking needs to greatly improve--I am an optimist and think it will, and I hope Mick settles on Sullivan as our kicker. If Greenberg can't make a PAT, he will probably pee his football pants if called upon to kick a game-wining 40-45 yard FG later in the season.
Most kickers have problems with PATs with the kind of snap/hold he had to deal with. Were you even watching?

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
The Wyo. run game hurt us, was hard to stop at times, and on several drives, but giving up 209 yards (4.5 per carry) in the run game and only 92 in the pass game to a Mountain West team is actually quite good. 6 sacks and 9 TFL is very good. 58 yards on 1 rush, so, without that one, a bit over 3 yards per carry.

To put in a bit of perspective. UM is 30th in the nation in total defense. Somewhere a bit below 50th in rushing defense. 1st in team sacks.

Yes, running for only 43 yards is not good.

I think Wyoming's low passing numbers says more about their offense than the Griz defense.

Yes, but only to some extent. Wyo. threw 21 passes. UM's pass defense was pretty good. Giving up only 301 yards to a Mountain West offense is good.

Just because Wyoming threw 21 passes does not mean their passing game is good...it does not even mean that it is close to average. I think as the season goes, we will see that Wyoming is right at the bottom in offense, not only in the MW, but in all of FBS football.

Box,

Let me ask you an honest question, all e-sticks aside.

You predicted a pretty lop-sided victory for Wyoming. 37-14 if I remember correctly. Did you think they were better a week ago? What changed?

Not trying to be a dick, but my guess is that the game was closer than you predicted/hoped for, and so now the only way to put a spin on it is to talk about how bad Wyoming is.

Warm?

Raider said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Box,

You predicted a pretty lop-sided victory for Wyoming. 37-14 if I remember correctly. Did you think they were better a week ago? What changed?

Not trying to be a dick, but my guess is that the game was closer than you predicted/hoped for, and so now the only way to put a spin on it is to talk about how bad Wyoming is.

Warm?

Raider, the defense did everything to give the Griz a chance to win. I assumed that Wyoming would show more in the passing game, which I thought would be an issue for the Griz defense. I think what I learned is that it will be a long year for Wyoming unless they can improve drastically in the passing game. I still believe that the Griz defense will be poor against the pass, and Wyoming's one-dimensional offense could not expose it. Wyoming showed poor pass protecting tackles, and an ineffective passing QB. I will also add that as games are played, I may be wrong, but until you see how they stack up against a team that can throw, the jury will still be out for me. I also believe that NDSU will be able to run on UM as well as Wyoming, and will be able to throw much better than Wyoming. Time will tell. I also did not hope for a blowout and I guessed a score of 31-14.

The D looked very tough all around for the Griz, they could be very nice this year, specially our D-line, they looked great. If our coaches would have played the field position game like they should have(but decided not to like the morons they are) we would have been much more in control of this game. Still blows my mind...

grizindabox said:
Raider said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Box,

Warm?

Raider, the defense did everything to give the Griz a chance to win. I assumed that Wyoming would show more in the passing game, which I thought would be an issue for the Griz defense. I think what I learned is that it will be a long year for Wyoming unless they can improve drastically in the passing game. I still believe that the Griz defense will be poor against the pass, and Wyoming's one-dimensional offense could not expose it. Wyoming showed poor pass protecting tackles, and an ineffective passing QB. I will also add that as games are played, I may be wrong, but until you see how they stack up against a team that can throw, the jury will still be out for me. I also believe that NDSU will be able to run on UM as well as Wyoming, and will be able to throw much better than Wyoming. Time will tell. I also did not hope for a blowout and I guessed a score of 31-14.

So, in summary there are two ways to spin it.

A) The Griz defense was better than expected or B) Wyoming’s offense was worse than expected. All I am saying is that it’s not a surprise what angle you decided to take on it.
Example: You talk about how bad the Wyoming pass protection was, while conveniently leaving out how solid Wags was. He was the best player on the field Saturday.

Yeah, the “hoped for” comment was a low blow. Sorry, but your ability to put a negative spin on anything and everything gets really stale.

Raider, you want to believe it was the Griz with stellar pass defense, I believe it was Wyoming with a poor passing offense. It will play out as the season goes on. You may be correct, but I will wait and see. Wagz also may have been the best player on the field, but I still do not believe that the Wyoming tackles were/are very good a pass pro.

grizindabox said:
Raider, you want to believe it was the Griz with stellar pass defense, I believe it was Wyoming with a poor passing offense. It will play out as the season goes on. You may be correct, but I will wait and see. Wagz also may have been the best player on the field, but I still do not believe that the Wyoming tackles were/are very good a pass pro.

Please show me the quote where I said the pass defense was “stellar”. Please also note that I predicted a 21-10 Wyoming win.

How the rest of the season plays out is completely irrelevant. Regardless of how if plays out, you will find some way to put a negative spin on it. In the best of times and worst of times, that has always been your thing. Why, I have no idea.

Raider said:
grizindabox said:

Please show me the quote where I said the pass defense was “stellar”. Please also note that I predicted a 21-10 Wyoming win.

How the rest of the season plays out is completely irrelevant. Regardless of how if plays out, you will find some way to put a negative spin on it. In the best of times and worst of times, that has always been your thing. Why, I have no idea.

Well Raider, sorry if it bothers you so much. I am sure that Wyoming will have the best passing offense in the world by the end of the year.

grizindabox said:
Raider said:
grizindabox said:

Well Raider, sorry if it bothers you so much. I am sure that Wyoming will have the best passing offense in the world by the end of the year.

Yeah, because that is what I alluded too. :roll:

My gawd man. I give up. Carry on..........

Raider said:
grizindabox said:
Raider said:
grizindabox said:

Yeah, because that is what I alluded too. :roll:

My gawd man. I give up. Carry on..........

I know, just threw that in for fun...

grizindabox said:

Good point but they were pretty good at run blocking or at least on the 58 yard back braking run they were.
Please review the tape. The tight end and left tackle destroyed the right side of the Griz D. You can't even see the player's numbers they went on their backs so quickly. Wick just killed Kose in the hole too. Unfortunately for the Griz, that was a well executed play.

grizindabox said:

So you think most Olines in the BSC will have better tackles than Wyoming???? And I think the pass defense did look better than anticipated because of the fact that Wagz and crew were in his face pretty much every play. That D line is going to make our secondary look very much improved this year.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

So you think most Olines in the BSC will have better tackles than Wyoming???? And I think the pass defense did look better than anticipated because of the fact that Wagz and crew were in his face pretty much every play. That D line is going to make our secondary look very much improved this year.

Not what I said, because I don't know. It is possible that some will. But what I did say is that Wyoming's tackles were not very good at pass pro on Saturday.

Box, even if the Wyo. passing offense isn't/wasn't very good, that does not explain how low their passing numbers were. 13-21. 92 total yards. No TD's. A long pass of 14 yards. Their leading receiver had 4 catches for 25 yards. 1 interception. 6 sacks. 92 is the lowest total in the past 3 full years, excluding two D-II games and 1 CP game. It is an incredibly low total. UM gave up an average of 268 yards last year, I believe. I doubt that Wyo's passing offense is essentially the worst UM has faced in many years. That isn't to say that it's very good either.

As for Wags and the d-line, they clearly outplayed Wyo. and Wyo's o-line. Phil Steele picked 2 Wyo. players as preseason 3d team all-conference. As I have said, Wag is a beast. I too thought he was the best player on the field. Note that Holmes and Takai each got 2 sacks too. Very impressive. And note that pass rush is part of pass defense.

I agree, tho, that Wyo. didn't look like a strong team overall. However, they are a MWC team, and that says something about the quality of the players they attract, and most UM fans seem to be in love with their new coach.

PlayerRep said:
Box, even if the Wyo. passing offense isn't/wasn't very good, that does not explain how low their passing numbers were. 13-21. 92 total yards. No TD's. A long pass of 14 yards. Their leading receiver had 4 catches for 25 yards. 1 interception. 6 sacks. 92 is the lowest total in the past 3 full years, excluding two D-II games and 1 CP game. It is an incredibly low total. UM gave up an average of 268 yards last year, I believe. I doubt that Wyo's passing offense is essentially the worst UM has faced in many years. That isn't to say that it's very good either.

As for Wags and the d-line, they clearly outplayed Wyo. and Wyo's o-line. Phil Steele picked 2 Wyo. players as preseason 3d team all-conference. As I have said, Wag is a beast. I too thought he was the best player on the field. Note that Holmes and Takai each got 2 sacks too. Very impressive. And note that pass rush is part of pass defense.

I agree, tho, that Wyo. didn't look like a strong team overall. However, they are a MWC team, and that says something about the quality of the players they attract, and most UM fans seem to be in love with their new coach.

I am fairly certain no team will throw for over 100 yds against the Griz

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Uh... what? I must have missed something in all this bickering.

poorgriz said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Uh... what? I must have missed something in all this bickering.

He is being facetious.

See, apparently you have to be on one extreme or another on e-griz. Either the Griz defense are world beaters or Wyoming is the worst offense in college football. Nothing in the middle (which is actual reality) is acceptable with these dipshits.

Back