• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who steps up at WR?

Who is your choice for the backup that will step up and make the plays in the last few games?

• Tyler Palmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marc Mariani

• Rob Shulte

• Tony Kazmierczak

• Matt Troxel

• Chase Reynolds

• Total voters

ronbo

Who is your choice for the WR backup that will step up and make the plays in the last few games?

These are the guys that are backups now. Allen and Ferriter are not included.

What about Eric Allen as a choice? He has been kind of absent and could be huge down the stretch. Maybe another choice of all of them. I'm just sayin...............

I made the assumption with Bags out that Bergquist will indeed look for Allen more. So Allen is a given in my opinion to have some good games. He will probably see 4-5 passes more his way per game.

I'll bet Bobby and Phenicie have had private meetings with Allen and Ferriter and encouraged them to step up their games.

It's a very valid question but really isn't a choice thing. In the Griz offense there are WR and there are Slots. Allen and Bagley are the WR when we the Griz are in a three receiver set with Ferriter in the Slot. When they go four receivers and spread it out, Schulte comes in at the other slot. If one of the WR (Allen or Bags) is replaced during a game, it's with Mariani. Schulte doesn't play WR so he wouldn't be replacing either Allen or Bagley. Mariani will probably be in for Bagley because he knows the routes from that position. It would not make sense to have Schulte go to WR. When the Griz go four wideouts you would then have to replace him at Slot. Mariani will go to WR, Schulte will stay at slot and Allen and Ferriter will stay the same. When they bring the TE's in all of this changes except Allen stays at WR and Ferriter stays at slot.

It wasn't meant as a who will play the most question. It is a "Who will step up and be a STAR?" question. Which guy will have the guts and grit to step in and make the big plays and breakout and become a star?

I know what you asked but it would be hard for a player to "step up" at a position he doesn't play. Troxel and Schulte don't play WR so how would they "step up" and be a "Star" at a position they don't play. Mariani will be at WR so he's the only one that will have a chance to "step up" at WR. Not trying to be difficult and I know you watch the Griz religiously but there's a problem with your question.

Shulte doesn't play receiver? Am I missing something here?

Edit: Shulte got my vote. :thumb:

Well everyone change that to just "Reciever" then instead of WR. 5 minute edit won't allow.

Bobby hinted to Schulte really stepping up against ISU when Bags went out, I wonder if he'll bring the fire/passion to step up.

I wish EA would've been an option though, I think he really needs to shoulder the load and go from 30-40 ypg to 80-100 ypg. If he can do that the passing game will be alright.

I voted Troxel since he has more talent than all of them except Mariani and Ferriter.

It's just that he won't see the field so I doubt he will be the one that steps up.

I agree with that. Troxel is like Brandon Utterback at RB. He has tons of potential and never gets much playing time.

Hauck has already sung Mariani's praises. He knows every receiver position and the routes. It will be him and his amazing one handed catches.

TheBud said:

I think they all will to answer your question...but I just think that Mariani just steps in and takes over where Bags left off. I do see the others having some real opportunity.

I think EA needs to step up...these next 4 weeks are why he came here...time for him to shine.

We haven't heard anything since the beginning of the season regarding Craig Chambers. He had a shoulder injury...wouldn't you think he'd be recouped by now or is there something else going on there?

It sucks losing Bagley, especially his sr. year. My vote is with Ferriter for stepping it up...as he is Mr. Dependable.

Ferriter is stepping it up though, he's getting near 100 yards per game the last 4-5 games.

Mariani will get some coverage as a flanker, and MSU will put their better saftey on Ferriter. I'm starting to wonder if Beudin and Phaler are going to get split wide and used as well, they're very athletic, and Phaler had a great catch and run against ISU.

Latest posts

Back