• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Amp it up?

GRIZNATION

Are there any plans to install new speakers or sound system at Washington-Griz? Seems like they are in need of a desperate upgrade.

GRIZNATION said:
Are there any plans to install new speakers or sound system at Washington-Griz? Seems like they are in need of a desperate upgrade.

Yes, they are working on it.

Do you know any of the plans... details? Sounds good though if they are working on it. Assume it will be ready by the first home football game? Thanks for the info...

New speakers is part of the upgrades this year, at least this is what I have been told.

GRIZNATION said:
Do you know any of the plans... details? Sounds good though if they are working on it. Assume it will be ready by the first home football game? Thanks for the info...

All I am going to reveal is they are putting in a completely new system in WGS. The old equipment will be moved to the south stadium so they have a permanant system there.

It is my understanding that they will be sufficient for the South fields. They were designed for a field with about 12,000 people. I am pretty sure they will be rebuilt or refurbished for there.

just wait until the 1000th time you have heard the name of the sponsor for the speaker replacement broadcast over the system. after that, you might question the value of the replacement. ahs amemba when football wuz abouuu football.

That would be the soccer/ track and field set up (sorry cannot call that a stadium). I think that is what they are referring to at least. Correct me if I am wrong.

It makes sense, sort of.

Why would the soccer field need a sound system?

It would cool to hear those shi^^y old speakers playing Sandstorm one last time during the relays when track season rolls around next year.

As the guy who'll be using the new sound system...(the P. A. guy.)I've been told that it will absolutely blow you away with it's clarity and quality. Not just louder, but designed so that every fan will be able to hear clearly. Just imagine a surround-sound system that will entertain 28,000 people! Cool!! I can't wait!

peterc said:
As the guy who'll be using the new sound system...(the P. A. guy.)I've been told that it will absolutely blow you away with it's clarity and quality. Not just louder, but designed so that every fan will be able to hear clearly. Just imagine a surround-sound system that will entertain 28,000 people! Cool!! I can't wait!

As long as you are saying FIRST DOWN MONTANA!!!! over and over and over again, I dont care what sound system it is on.

peterc said:

Fall can't come fast enough! The new additions will be great.. You do a great job, I realize this everytime I hear announcers at other stadiums, especially after hearing whoever the cats pull off the street.

1 question- How are they going to set up the surround-sound system? Not thinking they won't, just wondering what kind of speakers, how many, and locations in the stadium?

I'm very glad the stadium is getting a new sound system! In my mind, it is one of the few thing needing an upgrade (restrooms are another). The only thing I worry about, and call me a homer, is that the band will end up with less playing time. During my time in the band, we fought for time as it was.

peterc said:

So I guess there will be nearly 3000 people standing around listening from outside?

griz5700 said:
peterc said:

Fall can't come fast enough! The new additions will be great.. You do a great job, I realize this everytime I hear announcers at other stadiums, especially after hearing whoever the cats pull off the street.

1 question- How are they going to set up the surround-sound system? Not thinking they won't, just wondering what kind of speakers, how many, and locations in the stadium?

There are a few ways to set up speakers in a stadium sound system.

The first is called a cluster.

Where one or a few different speakers are all in a cluster hung from one location, and usually in a stadium like ours there might be three all aimed directionally at seating locations.

The second is called a distributed system.

This system cost a ton but it is what most of the new professional stadiums are using. Mnay speakers are set up all over the stadium to cover every nook and cranny. Each speaker has it's own amplifier (why they cost so much). Then you run into having to "time" each speaker path so sound isn't getting to one speaker before another. The longer the speaker runs the longer it takes a signal to propagate to the individual speaker.

There is also a speaker set up called an array but these are more for concerts and maybe fieldhouses. Pretty expensive and very heavy and awkward to mount if you don't have the right infrastructure.

The so called "blown speakers" from our old system will sound just fine after they replace the diaphrams in the few that have problems. They would even sound better if they added a DSP and a compressor to the system.

AG2 said:
griz5700 said:
peterc said:

There are a few ways to set up speakers in a stadium sound system.

The first is called a cluster.

Where one or a few different speakers are all in a cluster hung from one location, and usually in a stadium like ours there might be three all aimed directionally at seating locations.

The second is called a distributed system.

This system cost a ton but it is what most of the new professional stadiums are using. Mnay speakers are set up all over the stadium to cover every nook and cranny. Each speaker has it's own amplifier (why they cost so much). Then you run into having to "time" each speaker path so sound isn't getting to one speaker before another. The longer the speaker runs the longer it takes a signal to propagate to the individual speaker.

There is also a speaker set up called an array but these are more for concerts and maybe fieldhouses. Pretty expensive and very heavy and awkward to mount if you don't have the right infrastructure.

The so called "blown speakers" from our old system will sound just fine after they replace the diaphrams in the few that have problems. They would even sound better if they added a DSP and a compressor to the system.

Good insight, I was just about to say the same thing.

Back