• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Playoff game you've ever seen in WA-Griz?

Downwiththefoe

DONOR
Who, What year, Why, etc?

I'm curious to see the responses leading up to this monster showdown with Weber.

This game is huge!

The quarterfinal in '94 - I forget who the opponent was, but it was completely snow covered field and someone had plowed the snow in the grassy north endzone into the words "Just One More". We were down with little time left and our final drive for the go ahead field goal was awesome. It was an incredibly fast drive with a lateral play (hook and ladder) that got us like 30 yards. That was a great game, freezing with my dad and the other 15,000 fans and cheering our lungs out as Dave Dickensen led us into the semis.

1. 1995 Semi. No need to explain
2. 1994 quarter? Last second FG to win in the snow
3. 2001? Semi OT win VS Appy

Zootown Rox said:
The quarterfinal in '94 - I forget who the opponent was, but it was completely snow covered field and someone had plowed the snow in the grassy north endzone into the words "Just One More". We were down with little time left and our final drive for the go ahead field goal was awesome. It was an incredibly fast drive with a lateral play (hook and ladder) that got us like 30 yards. That was a great game, freezing with my dad and the other 15,000 fans and cheering our lungs out as Dave Dickensen led us into the semis.
I think dave had gotten hurt earlier in the game. I don't think it was him that led the game winning drive. Also, I think it was a fumlbe and gurnsey picked it up and ran it for the gain. Not a hook and ladder. But I could be wrong, I was in Highschool then.

The 95 semi finals and the overtime win over appalachian state. I was in the north endzone and had a good view of Farris's catch for that one.

I sure wish we could have beat umass in 06. That was a fun game untill the end.

1994 Bert Wilberger came in for Dave when his ankle injury was re-aggrivated early in the game. That was a great game, the kick in the end was awesome, we went nuts. Great game.

2004 UNH playoff game was electric, the atmosphere was the best I've ever expereinced at WA Griz.

2000 semi-final game against App St, the OT win, fun game, very hard fought.

MTGrizzFan said:
The 95 semi finals and the overtime win over appalachian state. I was in the north endzone and had a good view of Farris's catch for that one.

I thought the win over appy was in 01

grizindabox said:
MTGrizzFan said:

I thought the win over appy was in 01

I wasn't sure if it was 2000 or 2001...that's why I didn't put a date.

Re/MaxGriz said:
2004 UNH playoff game was electric, the atmosphere was the best I've ever expereinced at WA Griz.

Same here!

I was amazed by that game and atmosphere, and never thought I'd see better. Little did I know, that the same thing would happen on the following Saturday, when the Griz played SHSU, and punched our ticket to Chattanooga!

Best two football games I've EVER seen in person, and I got to see 'em back-to-back...I'm psyched for tomorrow's game!

Am I the only one who thinks tomorrows game could be epic?

I just have this feeling, maybe it's just anxiety on my part, but I think for the Griz to win, which I totally expect, this is just going to be an awesome performance.

I really believe the game will just be a monster and potentially could be a top-10 type Griz moment.

Go Griz!

Downwiththefoe said:
Am I the only one who thinks tomorrows game could be epic?

I just have this feeling, maybe it's just anxiety on my part, but I think for the Griz to win, which I totally expect, this is just going to be an awesome performance.

I really believe the game will just be a monster and potentially could be a top-10 type Griz moment.

Go Griz!

We need to win it first. There is a team called Weber that is going to try hard to keep that from happening. ;)

Have fun at the game.

Be loud!

Go Griz!

If I remember, the 94 game in the snow was against MacNeese. Great game...field goal to win in the driving snow...place went nuts.

On the flip side, the most heart breaking, but great game, was the 49-48 (I think that was the score) against the Chickens from the northeast.

But the best overall had to be the three in 1995, outscored the three opponents something like 156-14.

Can't wait to add another great win to the list.

For me it was the semifinal game against App State in 2000. It was a tight game that went to overtime. We won with a pass from Drew Miller to Jimmy Farris in the corner of the endzone and then he ran up onto that snow bank. The whole place exploded. I wish they would run that highlight before the game like they used to.

All of the Semifinal games have been awesome. My personal favorite would have to be the '95 game with DD, Crebo, Joe Douglass. Purely amazing performances by all three.

Next favorite of the Semifinals at WGS would be '06 Game against UMASS. What a game atmosphere.

The 2000 Semi against Ap State. Farris's catch in the NEZ for the OT winner.

Those were my top three of the Semifinal games played at WGS. All of the others were also great games in their own right. 1966 vs Troy, 2001 vs UNI, and 2004 vs SHSU.

1. Griz 30, McNeese 28: A game of seismic emotion. Griz ahead 27-7 going into the fourth, and everyone in Wa-Griz comfortable that certain victory is at hand. Then McNeese mounts a furious comeback. Certain victory collapsed into certain defeat, as it looked like McNeese was in position to run the clock out. But the Griz stuffed them on fourth down near the goalline. Then the most improbable drive in UM history began. The lateral to move into field goal range. Then Larson's kick in the heavy snow. Absolute bedlem in the stands as the kick sails through the uprights. I'll remember that moment forever (even in my next life).

2. 1995 Griz 70, SFA 14: The Griz capped off the most dominant home playoff run in 1-AA history by slicing the Lumberjacks into chop suey. I'll never forget Super Dave pumping his fists in the air after his TD pass right before the half to make it 35-14 going into halftime, and UM's first berth in the national title game became a foregone conclusion before SFA could even get into the lockerroom before the half.

3. 1996 Griz 70, Troy St. 7: This one doesn't get mentioned nearly as much as the trampling of SFA, but I still think it was just as sweet, as the Griz had another 70 point encore performance of the 70 point showing a year earlier. What I always found ironic is that both SFA and Troy St. scored first and led 7-0 in both of those games before the onrush of devastation befell them.

4. 1993 Delaware 49, Griz 48: Sure, every Griz fan's heart was shattered. But this game still lives on in 1-AA playoff lore. I consider myself lucky to have been there.

5. 1995 Griz 45, Ga. Southern 0: Not really much of a game. The Griz pulverized the Eagles, who couldn't seem to acclimate to the frosty weather. Still, long overdue payback for 1989. I think you could list any game from that magical '95 playoff run at Wa-Griz. It was a three act show of pure dominance. Act I, Griz 48, EKU 0. Act II, Griz 45, Ga. Southern 0. Act III, Griz 70, SFA 14. Griz outscored their playoff opponents 163-14, which was by far the most dominating run in playoff history. Again, 163-14! All one could do was marvel at such dominance.

druhag said:
Zootown Rox said:
I think dave had gotten hurt earlier in the game. I don't think it was him that led the game winning drive. Also, I think it was a fumlbe and gurnsey picked it up and ran it for the gain. Not a hook and ladder. But I could be wrong, I was in Highschool then.

this is the correct version. i remember gurns advertently fumbling forward and out of bounds to stop the clock. jay turner made an incredible stop against McTeam to get us the ball back. i asked him about it later, and he said he "just guessed" and dove into a gap. great guy, great play. bert wilberger was the best backup qb in the history of I-AA......

Since I've only been to 2...

2006 vs McNeese State

2008 vs Texas State

Both very fun to be at, and always look forward to making it to more games.

app state. i spent a little time with some of their players before the game, and they were in awe of the setting. then they poised-up and played beyond their ability to put the game into OT.

i remember clearly the app d-l players saying how meaningful it would be for them to win in such a cool place (with "real" mountains). i thought they were going to get creamed, based on their seeming lack of focus. their coach must be a heck of a motivator.

Latest posts

Back