• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 11-0 and another Bobcat-beatdown

BWahlberg

DONOR
Hats off to the GRIZ! Way to go players and coaches, it was an excellent regular season and capping it off with a 2nd half beating of the bobcats! This has been a fun season so far and I think this team has really started to play pretty well and is starting to peak at the right time. Think about it, take out that crap-tastic win vs ISU and the Grizzlies have had 3 dominant wins out of the last 4 games. Also they've only allowed 5 TDs in those 4 games.

Today's game was frustrating in the 1st half at times, but damn fun in the 2nd half. In the 1st half I was really scratching my head with all of the outside sweeps, and the Oline breaking down with some blocking. The fake punt was a zone read by Wren I believe, if that gap was there I wonder if they should've snapped to Larson, he's got much better skills to get the 1st down. As for the sweeps, that series at the goal-line turned out eventually, but at the time tossing the ball on the outside on 4th against these MSU LBs was a mistake.

In the 2nd though the Griz came out focused, avoided the stupid penalties and dominated the Bobcats. Scoring 17 unanswered and knocking the wind out of cats. They sweep plays started to work more, and the Oline did not allow the bobcat pressure to get to the QBs. Roper and Selle looked pretty good, bummer that Roper missed a wide open Beaudin twice going up the seam. Selle looked shaky in the 1st half but good in the 2nd. I loved the drive that sealed it, a 19 play, 80 yard drive that chewed up 9:33 with two 4th down conversions. The TD call was great, the Cats stacked up expecting another Chase handoff and Selle made them pay.

For those knocking on Selle he played a damn solid game today, made some really good throws today and settled down really well after the first few series. Roper looked good too, that throw to Sambrano was great.

Gotta give our OLine big props though, after a few series they really settled down and played well. It was tough sledding to block this MSU defense but on that last drive they did just that, and when it was needed they kept the pressure off our QBs.

The defense was amazing, but I’ll bet they’re pissed about allowing that late score. What a great final game against MSU Schann had, a pick, leading in tackles, and tons of good pass break-ups. Also loved the hard hits guys like Stoll and Shaw were dishing out. Swink also had a good game picking that lame-duck pass from Kempt, and busting up some passes. Glad to see some up-and-comers like Harris, Waldhauser, & McSurdy playing hard and making waves out there. Our defense was not fooled by the passes in the flat, and Everette Gilbert. The pressure was good today even though there weren’t any sacks, and the D played with great confidence. MSU’s 242 total yards was the 2nd best performance our D has had since the home opener vs Western States. At one point MSU’s offense went 8 SERIES in a row without getting a single first down!

How great is Marc Mariani? And how dumb is MSU to kick to him??? 183 all purpose yards, excellent punt returns, 2 TDs, and obviously beat Retoriano in coverage pretty successfully through the day. I’m really going to miss watching him play as a Griz once this season ends, he’s the best WR to ever play as a Grizzly.

Props to the Bobcats, they came out and fought hard. I’d posted that their front 7 is the best in the Big Sky and I still agree with it. Dan Ogden, Dane Fletcher and company are excellent players, they played really hard and hit even harder. I think their defense would’ve fared much better if the offense would have actually been able to move the ball a bit. They wore down and couldn’t keep playing at their high intensity level. The Bobcats have some good defenders but honestly I expected Gilbert and Akpla to step up a lot more and they didn’t. Add in that the QBs were horribly inaccurate and that certainly didn’t help.
Playoff time boys!

Congrats to the Griz so far, let’s keep things going!!

Cat Players...Cat coaching staff...Cat Fans

I respect the Cat players...if they had an O to go with their D... tough team
Cat Coaches much respect as they are a class act

As always great recap Remax...

Quick thoughts:
-Griz probably throw up 50 without first half penalties
-Really strong effort by MSU defensive front line in first half
-Thanks for punting to Marc - What were the Kitties thinking?
-Complete Griz Domination in second half
-We have the ability to score serious points and hope we can early and often in the playoffs

jtgriz2 said:

Quick thoughts:
-We have the ability to score serious points and hope we can early and often in the playoffs

Gotta agree with those statements.

It was a bad call on the 4th and goal to go for it in my opinion but Chase did have the corner I think if he would have gone for the pylon. the wr on that side had a good block. he cut it up though and was stopped. this team has struggled on the goal line this year. got to take the points there, especially that early in the game.

Great Breakdown Remax-

We definitely have to get better about scoring in the redzone when we are close to the endzone. That's what doomed us against Wofford a few years ago. If we had put the ball in the endzone during numerous trips inside the 20 the game wouldn't have been close.

- Good analysis!

Solid effort by our players. Glad to finally see us play this year and hope to make round 1.

Go Griz!

Good recap ReMax. I believe that the fake on that particular punt is NOT a pre-snap read but a play that Wren is supposed to read on the run. There should be times when the coaches tell him to just kick it no matter what he reads.

As always, great post ReMax.

I was on the field today and had a few thoughts:

Was very impressed with the physicality of MSU's defense. Some of the hits on Chase were NASTY to say the least. A lot of hard hitting today by both teams. I've been field level for many games, and this was as physical as it gets, so not sure what Cat fans are complaining about their team being uninspired. I saw an emotional and physical MSU team with a lot of heart today.

I think the personal fouls on both ends were typical of a Cat/Griz game that actually means something to both teams, and I don't think it's A-typical of either team. Retoriano and Rider were hitting and pushing Marc late all day, Stoll and Schillinger were doing the same to the MSU receivers. It was an intense and emotional day from what I could see. Also of note, after Mariani scored his second TD, a ref went right to Fletcher and told him to either knock it off or he would be ejected from the game. I have no idea what Fletcher was doing to warrant it though.

I haven't been to a Cat/Griz game in Bozeman since 1997. I was impressed with the MSU atmosphere. It seems much more like a football program now than when I used to go to games in Bozeman last decade. I like the Cats' tunnel run, and I can tell you, in the first half, it was louder than I've ever heard it in that stadium before. Not Wash/Griz loud, but when the Cats were on D, the crowd really brought it for the first half. Also, although the PA system is terrible, their in-game music is way better than Wash/Griz these days. Hells Bells on third downs, Kick Start My Heart, Jump Around...those are songs we USED to hear at Wash/Griz, as opposed to now with Lady Gaga and Keith Urban.

All around great day. Beat the Cats on their turf And the Griz are 11-0!

jtgriz2 said:

Quick thoughts:

Have had the ability to yes, but UM actually scoring serious points early and often thus far in 2009 is a resounding no.

The play calling was better against the Cats however, not as totally predictable as usual. That will need to continue into the playoffs big-time.

I was happy to see the Griz play strong in the 2nd half against the Cats. (Even coach Hauck said going into halftime that "we should have control but we don't).

I was impressed with the Cat D, as I suspected I would be. But I didn't expect them to knock the crap out of Reynolds like they did on some plays. I mean they plastered him backwards, that's a rarity for Reynolds.

Montana, undefeated BSC champs!!! GO GRIZ

Latest posts

Back