JJ Trial

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS

Re: JJ Trial

Postby grizchamp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

funny water wrote:
reinell30 wrote:
IntuitiveGriz wrote:How long is the trial "expected" to last?

I was told average is 5-8 days.

with them taking today off and the President's Day holiday on Monday.... with that average we should be looking at Wednesday/Thursday next week for a conclusion?

Judge said it would run about 11 days.
grizchamp
My PC is stuck on eGriz

I am a fan of: Montana

Postby funny water » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

grizchamp wrote:
funny water wrote:
reinell30 wrote:
IntuitiveGriz wrote:How long is the trial "expected" to last?

I was told average is 5-8 days.

with them taking today off and the President's Day holiday on Monday.... with that average we should be looking at Wednesday/Thursday next week for a conclusion?

Judge said it would run about 11 days.

interesting.... considering how fast they were moving yesterday.... wasted no time getting thru opening statements and putting the accuser on the stand.... one way or the other at least this will be a thing of the past by the end of the month (assuming no hung jury)....
funny water
My PC is stuck on eGriz

Postby catdaddy7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Why are they not in session today? Lincoln's birthday??????
catdaddy7
eGrizzer in Training

I am a fan of: Big Sky Football

Postby tnt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:Why are they not in session today? Lincoln's birthday??????

Law and motion day.
tnt
My PC is stuck on eGriz

I am a fan of: UM

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Today is the judge's Law & Motion day. She is busy attending to everything else assigned to her. The trial resumes tomorrow.
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby catdaddy7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks....So this is a normal turn of events then ?
catdaddy7
eGrizzer in Training

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Yes, totally normal and previously scheduled.
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby funny water » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 pm

firmgriz wrote:Today is the judge's Law & Motion day. She is busy attending to everything else assigned to her. The trial resumes tomorrow.

so will next Tuesday be an off day as well? I'm guessing Tuesday's are the day for this as is the norm here in Deer Lodge....
funny water
My PC is stuck on eGriz

Postby catdaddy7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks firm, it's good to have lawyers on this board;; leads to less speculation
by those of us not in the legal know.
catdaddy7
eGrizzer in Training

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, Judge Townsend is scheduled for Law & Motion again next Tuesday as well.
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby GRZFTBL » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

So firm, guilty or not guilty?

:coffee:
MSUcks
GRZFTBL
eGriz Lifer

I am a fan of: The Griz, duh!!!

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I could never predict what a jury might do. Based solely on yesterday's opening statements I think the defense has a good and compelling story, but once it goes to the jury it is almost impossible to tell what they will do after applying their own biases, life experiences and possible prejudices.

One thing I am confident about, however, is that if acquitted JJ will do everything he can to get back on the team where he would rightly belong.

Go Griz!
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby Ursa Major » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm

firmgriz wrote:One thing I am confident about, however, is that if acquitted JJ will do everything he can to get back on the team where he would rightly belong.

Go Griz!

What makes you confident about that, FG? No smack, just interested in your thought process on this.

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with addressing you as firmgriz. Maybe Turgidbear?

Thanks!
Ursa Major
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter

I am a fan of: Mt. Grizzlies

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Directly, I base it on his comments to that effect made during and at the end of the 2012 season. Indirectly, I base it on the fact that his old HS teammate Mr. White transferred from Oregon to the Griz, presumably to join him.
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby GrizLA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Mardi Gras.
GrizLA
My PC is stuck on eGriz

I am a fan of: Verdi

Postby grizbrokebacker1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:22 pm

GrizLA wrote:

Mardi Gras.

They postponed it because Gwen couldn't be there to cover the trial today. Too busy prepping for tonight's bead gathering festival.
PlayerRep wrote:If there were no Missoulian, there would also be no stories from the Missoulian.
grizbrokebacker1
eGrizzer

Postby GRZFTBL » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm

firmgriz wrote:I could never predict what a jury might do. Based solely on yesterday's opening statements I think the defense has a good and compelling story, but once it goes to the jury it is almost impossible to tell what they will do after applying their own biases, life experiences and possible prejudices.

One thing I am confident about, however, is that if acquitted JJ will do everything he can to get back on the team where he would rightly belong.

Go Griz!

Thanks. I got a gut feeling this might end before it goes to the jury, you? (In favor of JJ)
MSUcks
GRZFTBL
eGriz Lifer

I am a fan of: The Griz, duh!!!

Postby Griz2k » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:50 pm

GRZFTBL wrote:
firmgriz wrote:I could never predict what a jury might do. Based solely on yesterday's opening statements I think the defense has a good and compelling story, but once it goes to the jury it is almost impossible to tell what they will do after applying their own biases, life experiences and possible prejudices.

Go Griz!

Thanks. I got a gut feeling this might end before it goes to the jury, you? (In favor of JJ)

How's that? Plea bargain or something? I certainly don't see that happening. I think this one's going the distance.
Griz2k
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter

Postby firmgriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Grzftbl, I hope you're right, but I would be really surprised if it doesn't go the distance now that it has come this far. The prosecution is out to prove to the Feds that they are tough on sexual assault so I doubt they do anything other than fight to the end. Again, I hope your are right.
firmgriz
Full time eGrizzer

Postby Copper Griz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:05 pm

firmgriz wrote:Grzftbl, I hope you're right, but I would be really surprised if it doesn't go the distance now that it has come this far. The prosecution is out to prove to the Feds that they are tough on sexual assault so I doubt they do anything other than fight to the end. Again, I hope your are right.

I think you may be on to something firmgriz. The prosecution is trying to prove a point or else they were getting a lot of pressure from someone/somewhere. They could be pissing in the wind on this and they know it, but it is to late to turn back now. A win-win for them really. Hung jury or Innocent verdict = we tried and we take rape allegations very seriously. (if that was true they should investigate Pat Williams for raping the U of M of it's credibility- Go ahead smart ass scat fans - players did that on their own). Guilty = we are champions!! We look out for the victims and rapes will stop in Missoula.
Everyone thinks trolls live under a bridge. They don't, they live in their Mom's basement.
Copper Griz
My PC is stuck on eGriz

I am a fan of: U of M

Postby BDizzle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm

I think this goes the distance as well. I was thinking the accuser might decide not to proceed but now that she has taken the stand I feel there is no going back.
aka BHaf
BDizzle
eGriz Supporter
eGriz Supporter

I am a fan of: Winning

Postby J.Grisham » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:31 pm

No Worries..............it's all good

J.Grisham
eGriz Newbie

I am a fan of: the system

Postby Gaeilge1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I think it goes the distance now. The time for it to have been dropped would have been before opening arguments. The only things that could conceivably stop it now would be for the accuser to publicly deny her previous statements, for someone else to come forward stating that they were there, saw the whole thing and there was no rape or, for JJ to plead guilty. None of these scenario's seems likely to happen.

There may not be an actual verdict however. There could be a hung jury or evidence of either jury misconduct or tampering that could require the case be retried. If that happens the County Attorney's office would have to determine whether they could win and then the process would start all over again.
Gaeilge1
Full time eGrizzer

I am a fan of: Montana

Postby TxGriz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Did I see somewhere in the tweets that the alleged victim's underwear was removed voluntarily? I think I know what the legal framework for rape is and when it gets to that point, the prosecution's case for rape gets into some really fine hair splitting. :roll:
TxGriz
My PC is stuck on eGriz

Postby Blgs Griz Fan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

TxGriz...you have a point there.
Blgs Griz Fan
My PC is stuck on eGriz

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Grizzlies Football and the FCS