• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ouch! (Re: Cal Poly)

IdaGriz01

Not the kind of "recognition" a D wants to have:
[Chris] Brown, Edmonds lead FCS players of the week

Cal Poly's QB has been named co-Offensive Player of the Week, by The Sports Network:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...network&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4733983

In part,
TSN said:
That Mustangs offense has some serious giddy up. ... Brown has the most rushing yards of any quarterback in the FCS this season (856), which was strongly helped by his performance against Montana on Saturday. The junior broke his own single-game program record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 226, adding two touchdowns on 21 carries. He accounted for three total scores in the game and averaged 10.8 yards per carry. His previous single-game rushing record was set at 195 yards a year ago against UC Davis.
At least the guy has a track [ :D ] record of running over people -- so the Griz D is not alone in having gotten their butts kicked. Let's hope he does it again next weekend.

I had a scary thought. We knew going in how dangerous Brown was ... but he still ran wild.

Was that because he just had one of those "career days," or because the coaches refused to game plan a way to stop one man? This staff has shown a serious stubborn streak: "Our way is always right, and we're not going change it just because the opponent has one special guy."

A staff with more flexibility and less arrogance might find a better way to stop a one-man show, and then adjust [what a concept!] as the game dictates.

The cats will give CP a much better game and could certainly win it. I believe this mainly because they will be able to score on offense which will give their D a rest and force CP to do something other than QB keeper. Happens all the time: a good D gets abused because they tire out when the O does not help them. Hell, it happened to Dallas on Monday night.

IdaGriz01 said:
I had a scary thought. We knew going in how dangerous Brown was ... but he still ran wild.

Was that because he just had one of those "career days," or because the coaches refused to game plan a way to stop one man? This staff has shown a serious stubborn streak: "Our way is always right, and we're not going change it just because the opponent has one special guy."

A staff with more flexibility and less arrogance might find a better way to stop a one-man show, and then adjust [what a concept!] as the game dictates.

I can't read minds so I don't know what the coaches were thinking. Yet I kept wondering when we would assign a LB as the spy to keep Brown in check. Needless to say it appeared we never did. I'll bet the bobcats have someone specifically on him the entire game.
(Ursus can hold the money which will be exchanged near the dumpsters at the Press Box at about midnight prior to the cat/Griz game.) :D

garizzalies said:
The cats will give CP a much better game and could certainly win it. I believe this mainly because they will be able to score on offense which will give their D a rest and force CP to do something other than QB keeper. Happens all the time: a good D gets abused because they tire out when the O does not help them. Hell, it happened to Dallas on Monday night.

This is exactly what I believe will happen. In fact, I don't think this game will be close.

MSU wins big.

Grizzlies1982 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I can't read minds so I don't know what the coaches were thinking. Yet I kept wondering when we would assign a LB as the spy to keep Brown in check. Needless to say it appeared we never did. I'll bet the bobcats have someone specifically on him the entire game.
(Ursus can hold the money which will be exchanged near the dumpsters at the Press Box at about midnight prior to the cat/Griz game.) :D

That is not how you defend option football. It is about assignments. Each guy has a job. First you stop the dive. Then you stop the quarterback carry. Then you stop the pitch. Spying on the option is a recipe for trouble because they have an option for that. Often an option pass to take advantage of the space vacated by the spy. The best way to beat an option team is stay true to your assignments every single play and have and offense that can put pressure on them so they have to go away from grind it out football to pass more.

Raider said:
garizzalies said:

This is exactly what I believe will happen. In fact, I don't think this game will be close.

MSU wins big.

I feel the same way. The cat young offensive line is finally seasoned enough and they are dynamic enough to put up points and make CP push a little more for big plays to stay in the game.

The way to beat Poly is to get ahead of them by three touchdowns and make them pass. The Cats have an offense capable of doing that.

garizzalies said:
I agree with this, you need to force CP to throw the ball by getting ahead in points. Scoring on the opening drive will help.

Also having KVA go down really hurt the Griz D, really coudl have used him in the 2nd 1/2.

grizatwork said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

That is not how you defend option football. It is about assignments. Each guy has a job. First you stop the dive. Then you stop the quarterback carry. Then you stop the pitch. Spying on the option is a recipe for trouble because they have an option for that. Often an option pass to take advantage of the space vacated by the spy. The best way to beat an option team is stay true to your assignments every single play and have and offense that can put pressure on them so they have to go away from grind it out football to pass more.
Yeah but force them to pass. They might beat you passing -- but I doubt it. Sure there will be some big plays but if you don't do what it takes to stop the QB from gaining 226 yards then nothing else matters anyway.

Sometimes the guy assigned to the quarterback is not as good as the quarterback. We saw that. They were the better team that night. It happens.

I don't think you can write off the Griz D because of what happened at Cal Poly. Option teams are traditionally difficult to defend and require excellent discipline. If your offense can stay on the field and give them a break, it is possible they can play a complete game with the same energy throughout. Unfortunately, the real problem is the Griz offense, showing that football truly is a team sport.

The opposite is true for the Cats. They might make Poly punt a few times, but other than that they'll just have to have multiple productive offensive drives.

I thought the griz D could match up well against the triple option, disciplined with fast linebackers. I guess that shows what I know about football. I don't see how the cats can possibly stop these guys but we'll see, that's why they play the game...

grizatwork said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

This and...

grizatwork said:
Sometimes the guy assigned to the quarterback is not as good as the quarterback. We saw that. They were the better team that night. It happens.

This. People don't seem to realize that putting a spy on the quarterback would likely significantly hurt us elsewhere. Then when that happens, people would be saying: "God! Why is our staff so stupid! If they were smart, they wouldn't have put a spy on the QB and instead done X." This game was about execution, not game planning. I believe that strongly. CP executed better than we did and sometimes that happens.

indian-outlaw said:
I thought the griz D could match up well against the triple option, disciplined with fast linebackers. I guess that shows what I know about football. I don't see how the cats can possibly stop these guys but we'll see, that's why they play the game...

Cats don't have to stop them but a few times. The better question is, can Poly stop the Cats.

LongTimeCatFan said:
indian-outlaw said:

Cats don't have to stop them but a few times. The better question is, can Poly stop the Cats.
You seem pretty sure the cats offense is going to score every time they get the ball. What happened to them against weebs?

Back