• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruits you didn't want

Allezchat

No, not in the "we didn't want him anyway" way after someone doesn't commit. No smack here at all. I didn't want to put this on your recruiting section because its already getting convoluted enough with the NCAA/Brandom's dad stuff.

Everytime there's a new verbal, whether a Cat or griz, fans on their prospective side are always psyched about it. Be it senior commit or transfer. "looks like a good get" I like his_______" Rightfully so. I'm not saying anyone's wrong for the overwhelming positivity. Has there ever been a recruit when you heard committed where you didn't really want him? Just left you scratching your head. Didn't really get how he would fit it or just didn't think was good enough to play at this level. Maybe he turned out great, maybe he washed out. Just kind of curious. Like I said, every announcement is met with excitement. Kind of wondering if its ever the other way for anyone.

statler & waldorf said:
garizzalies said:
Mick Delaney (the player)

How did this ever come to pass? In a program under a microscope and looking to avoid any appearance of impropriety, grandpa gets grandson a schollie? :oops:

Are we sure he DID get a schollie, or was he a walk-on?

It was previously reported that he got help with books.

No scholly.

I thought I had S&W on my foes list...

BadlandsGrizFan said:
I remember when Chase Reynolds came outta high school....ohhh that kid cant play..hes from an 8man school....welp

I was in that camp. Happy to admit when I am wrong. Which is good. I am wrong a lot...

grizpack said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I remember when Chase Reynolds came outta high school....ohhh that kid cant play..hes from an 8man school....welp

I was in that camp. Happy to admit when I am wrong. Which is good. I am wrong a lot...

Ya I think he panned out ok..hahaha

Conversely, I jumped on the table for Mariani when I heard he was walking on/ grey shirting. Of course, my argument was he would be a good returner and potential slot receiver, not that he would be one of the best skill players and the best returner in our program's history.

Jeff Larson was a good athlete who also grey shirted and eventually made the team...thought he would have been a great naia qb, not our fg holder, but that's more nitpicking than actually answering your question.

Leads to another interesting topic: most overrated/underwhelming players in recent memory?

To expand on the OP's theme, I am amused at how we so enthusiastically embrace these recruits' abilities based on their highlight tapes.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizpack said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Ya I think he panned out ok..hahaha

The GRIZ did very well with small school recruits the last decade. Reynolds, Beaudin, Verlanic, Pierson all contributed a lot. I feel for Pierson though. It would have been nice to see what he could have done, if we could have kept him at 1 position to focus on.

Not really player specific but I always found this fascinating, especially with Bobby and Pflu because they had big signing day events.

You'd get a list of players and watch some highlights and the coaches would add their two cents. What it seemed like to me was that more often than not the kids with the best highlight reels and those who got the most talk-up from the coaches would sometimes not amount to that much in college - and some didn't even finish out their career playing football for the Griz.

On the other hand the walk-ons, the in-states, the guys with less fanfare... you look back at those recruits, and they tend to turn into the guys that shine. Kind of funny how that works out and there's always exceptions to this, just something I've observed.

Back