• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cat spring classic

reinell30

eGriz Club
DONOR
They have their annual spring game in Great Falls every year. They have a big dinner/banquet with always a fantastic guest speaker. This year they scheduled Rod Woodson who up until last week was in but something came up. So on short notice they got Thurman Thomas... My question is, why can't the Griz get someone (NFL Hall of Famer) to come speak at one of our spring functions? Great Falls is the largest fund raiser for the Cats and the GSA for the Griz.

I covered two of these when I was covering Montana State for the Chronicle. It's a really great event and raises hundreds of thousands of dollars. Montana has various fundraisers (outside of the Triangle Classic, so does MSU), but I always felt Montana was really dropping the ball for not having a similar event.

kyle_sample said:
I covered two of these when I was covering Montana State for the Chronicle. It's a really great event and raises hundreds of thousands of dollars. Montana has various fundraisers (outside of the Triangle Classic, so does MSU), but I always felt Montana was really dropping the ball for not having a similar event.

What do we have to do to get something like this started? You know people......

reinell30 said:
kyle_sample said:

I know people, but they don't listen to me

kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
kyle_sample said:

We're not talking about your wife, Kyle.

EverettGriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
kyle_sample said:

We're not talking about your wife, Kyle.

I have been married for over 37 years and one thing I have learned is, wives do not listen to their husbands...they hear us, just don't listen.

Kyle...work your magic...not to late to get a guest speaker for Great Falls GSA dinner on 16 May.

reinell30 said:
They have their annual spring game in Great Falls every year. They have a big dinner/banquet with always a fantastic guest speaker. This year they scheduled Rod Woodson who up until last week was in but something came up. So on short notice they got Thurman Thomas... My question is, why can't the Griz get someone (NFL Hall of Famer) to come speak at one of our spring functions? Great Falls is the largest fund raiser for the Cats and the GSA for the Griz.

Woodson pulled the old Bobcat on NDSU trick ehhh

kyle_sample said:

How can they not repaint those damn east grandstands than?

Last years cost of admission is $800 for a table (includes prime rib dinners for 10) or $85 for a single dinner ticket, and $55 for admission without dinner.

Previous speakers at the Triangle Classic include former NFL stars Joe Theismann, Brian Urlacher, Eric Dickerson, Jim Kelly, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Rocky Bleier, and Dan Fouts. TV personalities Lee Corso, Brent Musburger and Jerry Glanville, and NCAA president Dr. Mark Emmert have also been featured guests.

=======================================

I wonder how much they pay the speaker?

At a memorabilia autograph event in Las Vegas a few years ago, the Montster of the Midway, Dick Butkus asked me where I was from, and then said he gave a talk in Montana somewhere but couldn't remember where.

reinell30 said:

Short answer. They do the one big event and require their fans to travel to great falls and spend a large amount of money to get in. They also have a few very large sponsors that cover a lot of the cost.

Our policy to to get all the coaches around the state in smaller gatherings at a lower cost for our fans. Getting a speaker like that would cost about 20 percent or more of what we in Great Falls donate to the GSA. Those speakers require a LARGE fee. If you add up all of our bbq and golf outings in the spring, I would guess that we make at least as much as they do in their one big event and we get to get our coaches to all corners of the state.

What they do works for them and what we do works for us. We are always open to suggestions for improving it and the Great Falls GSA is always looking for new members. PM me and I can give you the info on how to join.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Last years cost of admission is $800 for a table (includes prime rib dinners for 10) or $85 for a single dinner ticket, and $55 for admission without dinner.

Previous speakers at the Triangle Classic include former NFL stars Joe Theismann, Brian Urlacher, Eric Dickerson, Jim Kelly, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Rocky Bleier, and Dan Fouts. TV personalities Lee Corso, Brent Musburger and Jerry Glanville, and NCAA president Dr. Mark Emmert have also been featured guests.

At a memorabilia autograph event in Las Vegas a few years ago, the Montster of the Midway, Dick Butkus asked me where I was from, and then said he gave a talk in Montana somewhere but couldn't remember where.

Butkus did the Great Falls Triangle classic for the cats and I heard it was one of the more poorly received speeches. They did not feel like the got their moneys worth from him. It is not unheard of for these speaking fees to be in the 10 to 15 thousand dollar range.

grizatwork said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Butkus did the Great Falls Triangle classic for the cats and I heard it was one of the more poorly received speeches. They did not feel like the got their moneys worth from him. It is not unheard of for these speaking fees to be in the 10 to 15 thousand dollar range.

What about Dave D.?

grizatwork said:
reinell30 said:

Short answer. They do the one big event and require their fans to travel to great falls and spend a large amount of money to get in. They also have a few very large sponsors that cover a lot of the cost.

Our policy to to get all the coaches around the state in smaller gatherings at a lower cost for our fans. Getting a speaker like that would cost about 20 percent or more of what we in Great Falls donate to the GSA. Those speakers require a LARGE fee. If you add up all of our bbq and golf outings in the spring, I would guess that we make at least as much as they do in their one big event and we get to get our coaches to all corners of the state.

What they do works for them and what we do works for us. We are always open to suggestions for improving it and the Great Falls GSA is always looking for new members. PM me and I can give you the info on how to join.

The GSA BBQ and auction (s) in Great Falls is a fantastic event! Successful every year with more and more in attendance. Great food etc... Anyone near Great Falls on the 16th of May should attend. $10 for huge BBQ meal can't be beat. I think it would be awesome if maybe someone like Marc Mariani, Trumaine, Chase, Colt or any of our NFL players would come by and say hello! I don't think there are any venues in Great Falls that could hold the Griz Nation crowd if a popular guest speaker would appear, the civic center is at capacity almost? Probably couldn't advertise the speaker for this reason.

grizatwork said:
reinell30 said:

Thanks for the explanation/insight. That makes sense.

Is there a list of the GSA spring tour online somewhere yet?

grizatwork said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

It must have been forgetable, heck, he couldn't even remember it. :lol:

IntuitiveGriz said:
grizatwork said:
reinell30 said:

Thanks for the explanation/insight. That makes sense.

Is there a list of the GSA spring tour online somewhere yet?

The GSA spring tour is coming to a town near you
1/9/2017 2:05:00 PM

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/1/9/the-gsa-spring-tour-is-coming-to-a-town-near-you.aspx

grizatwork said:

...make the golf a tournament for everybody
...not just coaches and select few g s a dudes...
...do a little more than just come for the $$$...

... :?: ...

zengriz said:
grizatwork said:

...make the golf a tournament for everybody
...not just coaches and select few g s a dudes...
...do a little more than just come for the $$$...

... :?: ...

The golf tournament is open to everybody...for a price. Everyone that golfs, even the GSA dudes that go have to pay the 350 dollars to golf. That gets you a sponsorship of the bbq including your name or business name in the official football program for every home game, your name or business logo at the slide show at the bbq, golfing with one of the coaches, and 4 tickets to the bbq. Also, your donation is tax deductible.

One of the things that makes the griz successful the the generosity of our fans and boosters. If the golfing is too steep, you can make a donation to the live or silent auctions. You can come to the bbq and bid on stuff, buy a bunch of split the pot tickets. There a lot of ways to help.

PM me if you are interesting in either a sponsorship, a golf outing, donating to the auction, or any other questions. If you are interesting in volunteering for the Great Falls GSA board, we are always looking for more board members. Many hands make light work. You do not need to be an alum. Just a GSA member to be on the board.

kyle_sample said:

Worst marketed program, for that matter, institution of higher learning in the state. Why would that surprise you?

Back