• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cat spring classic

I like the model we use now...its great to get our coaches out to places like Havre and Sidney.....Great Falls is basically hell to travel to from almost anywhere in the state.

reinell30 said:
The GSA BBQ and auction (s) in Great Falls is a fantastic event! Successful every year with more and more in attendance. Great food etc... Anyone near Great Falls on the 16th of May should attend. $10 for huge BBQ meal can't be beat. I think it would be awesome if maybe someone like Marc Mariani, Trumaine, Chase, Colt or any of our NFL players would come by and say hello! I don't think there are any venues in Great Falls that could hold the Griz Nation crowd if a popular guest speaker would appear, the civic center is at capacity almost? Probably couldn't advertise the speaker for this reason.
Following the Great Falls lead, the event will be replicated in Billings the following week, May 25 at the Red Lion Hotel & Conv. Center, 5 PM. BBQ with all the coaches. Auctions, etc.

EverettGriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
kyle_sample said:
I covered two of these when I was covering Montana State for the Chronicle. It's a really great event and raises hundreds of thousands of dollars. Montana has various fundraisers (outside of the Triangle Classic, so does MSU), but I always felt Montana was really dropping the ball for not having a similar event.

What do we have to do to get something like this started? You know people......

I know people, but they don't listen to me

We're not talking about your wife, Kyle.

HA! Wife! good one

IntuitiveGriz said:
grizatwork said:
reinell30 said:
They have their annual spring game in Great Falls every year. They have a big dinner/banquet with always a fantastic guest speaker. This year they scheduled Rod Woodson who up until last week was in but something came up. So on short notice they got Thurman Thomas... My question is, why can't the Griz get someone (NFL Hall of Famer) to come speak at one of our spring functions? Great Falls is the largest fund raiser for the Cats and the GSA for the Griz.

Short answer. They do the one big event and require their fans to travel to great falls and spend a large amount of money to get in. They also have a few very large sponsors that cover a lot of the cost.

Our policy to to get all the coaches around the state in smaller gatherings at a lower cost for our fans. Getting a speaker like that would cost about 20 percent or more of what we in Great Falls donate to the GSA. Those speakers require a LARGE fee. If you add up all of our bbq and golf outings in the spring, I would guess that we make at least as much as they do in their one big event and we get to get our coaches to all corners of the state.

What they do works for them and what we do works for us. We are always open to suggestions for improving it and the Great Falls GSA is always looking for new members. PM me and I can give you the info on how to join.

Thanks for the explanation/insight. That makes sense.

Is there a list of the GSA spring tour online somewhere yet?

If I remember right, Montana State has events similar to those in addition to the Triangle Classic

What does it take to add another city to the schedule? Being from Glendive I know a lot of the Sidney guys, just curious what that process is and how its determined.

That event is pretty big in Great Falls and attended well. I have heard both positives and negatives by some that go. Yes, I do have some Cat fans. However, the Griz event is very big and seems to grow each year. I have been attending since it was literally a BBQ at the fairgrounds. It is not as well advertised as the Cat event or course since it is more local than state wide. It is a great event and I encourage all who can make to come. You have a standing invitation Brint! I will buy.

kyle_sample said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
grizatwork said:
reinell30 said:
They have their annual spring game in Great Falls every year. They have a big dinner/banquet with always a fantastic guest speaker. This year they scheduled Rod Woodson who up until last week was in but something came up. So on short notice they got Thurman Thomas... My question is, why can't the Griz get someone (NFL Hall of Famer) to come speak at one of our spring functions? Great Falls is the largest fund raiser for the Cats and the GSA for the Griz.

Short answer. They do the one big event and require their fans to travel to great falls and spend a large amount of money to get in. They also have a few very large sponsors that cover a lot of the cost.

Our policy to to get all the coaches around the state in smaller gatherings at a lower cost for our fans. Getting a speaker like that would cost about 20 percent or more of what we in Great Falls donate to the GSA. Those speakers require a LARGE fee. If you add up all of our bbq and golf outings in the spring, I would guess that we make at least as much as they do in their one big event and we get to get our coaches to all corners of the state.

What they do works for them and what we do works for us. We are always open to suggestions for improving it and the Great Falls GSA is always looking for new members. PM me and I can give you the info on how to join.

Thanks for the explanation/insight. That makes sense.

Is there a list of the GSA spring tour online somewhere yet?

If I remember right, Montana State has events similar to those in addition to the Triangle Classic

If I remember correctly, they are more smaller Bobcat Scramble golf events and do not include all the coaches and have the bigger venue like we do for our spring gatherings. The cat's spring event also has the benefit of being in the same spot every year. If the griz did something like that, the spring game would pretty much have to quit traveling and stay in one spot and wherever that is, they would have to likely give up their spring bbq. There is no way we could do the spring game and the spring bbq as well. If we were to do it, I would actually recommend either doing Missoula every year and making it a 2 day event, or doing central location every year like Helena or Great Falls. It could be done, but it would alter the spring BBQ event.

reinell30 said:

I think if you could get a former griz to speak Like MM,Chase,carpenter etc. great idea.
I don't understand paying big money to a person who knows or cares very little about the program.

Mavman said:
I think if you could get a former griz to speak Like MM,Chase,carpenter etc. great idea.
I don't understand paying big money to a person who knows or cares very little about the program.

Speaking of which, the NFL's All-Time leading rusher E Smith was just interviewed before speaking at the Billing Chamber of Commerce. He was asked if he remembered the game he played at FL vs msu in the late 80's. He replied he did remember playing them (I doubt it), but he didn't remember any of the game details. The reporter mentioned how Smith scored 3 Tds in the 1st half, and sat out the second half with a tweak. FL won 69-0. The reporter asked Smith if he would be giving any condolences at the speaking engagement and Smith replied, "Absolutely not! The fact that didn't play the 2nd half was their condolences." And he light-heartedly laughed.

Griz Greats should be asked to speak in the springs.

Speaking of which, Colt Anderson just raised a lot of money in Butte for cystic fibrosis, again.

I seen on tv where Marc Mariani was back in MT visiting school kids that won some NFL thing.

Back