• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next up... 11/25 ND State

If this team cant wake up realize they are playing a basketball game, particularly the guards, they are in for some deserved embarassment when they play the zags and kansas. The guards will either use this performance to get better or decide they dont belong on the court right now

Brutal to watch. UM's guards are just not measuring up at all. Hoping Mario will make a difference come conference play, but man, this sure doesn't look at all like the team I watched beat Boise State. Guard play is an absolute mess, and they can't just count on Breunig to do everything because, unfortunately, he is going to continue to get in foul trouble. Like I said, just hoping Mario's return sparks some things, but right now, this team has a long, long way to go to even sniff being the actual favorite in the Big Sky.

this just sucks...wtf?? where the hell are the guys..? something is wrong.

Railbear - do not be discouraged, this was a typical November road non conference game where home team had home cooking.

TD was in control and handled a environment where the calls against Montana for the most part were called correctly. Locals were allowed to grab on baseline screens the Griz tried to run, locals were allowed to travel at will. This is not unusual in non conference away games in November.

Even when Griz were up 23 to 11 and only dressing 10 it was obvious it was not going to go the good guys way.
Griz never got into a bonus until it was late in 2nd half after game was decided, 1st half fouls 6 on the locals, 14 on the Griz. I could walk away pissed but did not because we are Montana and are not classless jerks.

Griz did go cold, am not sure if that was them being allowed to hold and traveling not called both ways.

Two things are clear - the culture of this local outfit in Fargo is as advertised, the coach is a whiny wannabe twerp. TD has forgotten more about comporting himself in professionalism then this so called wanna be will ever know. We had one Technical late with less then a minute to go, probably frustration from a player who was trying to do the right thing and had enough; chalk it up to a learning experience to grow.

Game ended with them holding ball for final 30 seconds and the jerk punk holding the ball bowing in a smirking sneer and not even shaking hands. Typical of the culture of this outfit.

The fans in the drunk section late in 2nd half were yelling "3 seconds" and spewing hate filled rhetoric at Bruenig that offended a lot of their decent fans. While the jerk punk held the ball for final 30 seconds the drunks in Team Maker section were yelling for a three to "BURY THE BASTARDS FROM MONTANA". Totally expected behavior, boorish is best term to define them.

These drunks are part of Team Makers which if NCAA had any balls would initiate investigation and proceed to shut down the entire joke of an athletic program down.

I only saw one or two people wearing maroon and the best of my knowledge were not harassed by these drunk little boys who pretend they are real men.

By late Feb they will be fine, my understanding is one or two starters are out until Mid December.

Montana equated themselves quite well in an environment where we were not just the visitors but hated for what we are by the drunks who are called Team Makers.

Railbear - do not be discouraged, this was a typical November road non conference game where home team had home cooking.

TD was in control and handled a environment where the calls against Montana for the most part were called correctly. Locals were allowed to grab on baseline screens the Griz tried to run, locals were allowed to travel at will. This is not unusual in non conference away games in November.

Even when Griz were up 23 to 11 and only dressing 10 it was obvious it was not going to go the good guys way.
Griz never got into a bonus until it was late in 2nd half after game was decided, 1st half fouls 6 on the locals, 14 on the Griz. I could walk away pissed but did not because we are Montana and are not classless jerks.

Griz did go cold, am not sure if that was them being allowed to hold and traveling not called both ways.

Two things are clear - the culture of this local outfit in Fargo is as advertised, the coach is a whiny wannabe twerp. TD has forgotten more about comporting himself in professionalism then this so called wanna be will ever know. We had one Technical late with less then a minute to go, probably frustration from a player who was trying to do the right thing and had enough; chalk it up to a learning experience to grow.

Game ended with them holding ball for final 30 seconds and the jerk punk holding the ball bowing in a smirking sneer and not even shaking hands. Typical of the culture of this outfit.

The fans in the drunk section late in 2nd half were yelling "3 seconds" and spewing hate filled rhetoric at Bruenig that offended a lot of their decent fans. While the jerk punk held the ball for final 30 seconds the drunks in Team Maker section were yelling for a three to "BURY THE BASTARDS FROM MONTANA". Totally expected behavior, boorish is best term to define them.

These drunks are part of Team Makers which if NCAA had any balls would initiate investigation and proceed to shut down the entire joke of an athletic program down.

I only saw one or two people wearing maroon and the best of my knowledge were not harassed by these drunk little boys who pretend they are real men.

By late Feb they will be fine, my understanding is one or two starters are out until Mid December.

Montana equated themselves quite well in an environment where we were not just the visitors but hated for what we are by the drunks who are called Team Makers.

Griz1952 said:

I'm sure the ncaa investigation is coming any day now. Alrighty then.

This is an ndsu team that lost one player off a team that's made back to back ncaa appearances, and was down 4 to Gonzaga last March with 10 minutes to play. Our worst performance last year was in your gym, so thumping you this year was the the expected outcome. Frankly, you ran into a team that plays defense, and turned you over a lot.

Griz1952 said:
this just sucks...wtf?? where the hell are the guys..? something is wrong.

Off the meds again I see for the holidays...I love how you say it's a culture at NDSU, especially from a team that after a football game has players decide to go to jail instead of sleep that's your culture ot seems

You my sir are a complete moron and have no clue what you are talking about, but it is fun to listen to your hate filled jealous rants

Griz1952 said:

You're so full of shit!!

:clap: :lol:

Greetings.

I joined your board because...

#1. I went to Missoula this fall for the Bison game and had a spectacular time. We spent a week in Seeley and Whitefish, then Missoula. I wish we could play the Griz every year.

#2. I really look forward to seeing the Griz next Saturday. Hopefully we can stop your receivers this time.

#3. I went to the BB game last night. What 1952 wrote is not accurate. If any of what he said actually happened...

IMO the game wasn't too thrilling. Coach Richman likes a controlled, defensive game. To me, it gets too low scoring and slow to get the crowd fired up. But he wins with it.

The Griz have a far better team than some of the posts above are talking. The Bison defense did a good job last night.

I bought my wife a Griz claw pin to commemorate our win in Missoula. Damn, that didn't work out...hopefully we'll get ya next week. :)

Griz1952 said:

Do you want to meet at the West Acres food court so we can discuss the merits of your dislike for NDSU? I would enjoy the opportunity to listen to you eviscerate me with pointed remarks.

GrizLA said:
Wow, who'd have thought, with the talent level UM has, that they would be a less than average Griz bball team. This blowout is really a surprise. I thought San Jose State was a bad game...UM needs to go back to basics..something is not working. They cannot be as bad as they seem. Well, I will see them in LA next week.And, I thought Pepperdine was going to be the challenge other than Kansas. HMMMMMMMMMM

Your comment on talent level, which I assume means good or high talent level, causes me to ask why people believe UM has a high talent level (my words). Breunig is a great talent. Who else? The point guard is good, and being missed, but he's not playing. The frosh will eventually be a very good player. I think the team still lacks big men. The guards don't seem to be getting it done yet. The shooters aren't consistently knocking down 3's. There are alot of role players but there is no Jordan Gregory, so that's lacking this year. I think this team is going to have to hustle, play hard, kick and scratch, and improve considerably to be successful. The Boise St game was terrific, and that's how they won, but I don't think they won on talent level. The team has very good potential. A bunch of the other guys need to step up and improve.

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
Wow, who'd have thought, with the talent level UM has, that they would be a less than average Griz bball team. This blowout is really a surprise. I thought San Jose State was a bad game...UM needs to go back to basics..something is not working. They cannot be as bad as they seem. Well, I will see them in LA next week.And, I thought Pepperdine was going to be the challenge other than Kansas. HMMMMMMMMMM

Your comment on talent level, which I assume means good or high talent level, causes me to ask why people believe UM has a high talent level (my words). Breunig is a great talent. Who else? The point guard is good, and being missed, but he's not playing. The frosh will eventually be a very good player. I think the team still lacks big men. The guards don't seem to be getting it done yet. The shooters aren't consistently knocking down 3's. There are alot of role players but there is no Jordan Gregory, so that's lacking this year. I think this team is going to have to hustle, play hard, kick and scratch, and improve considerably to be successful. The Boise St game was terrific, and that's how they won, but I don't think they won on talent level. The team has very good potential. A bunch of the other guys need to step up and improve.

I agree with PlayerRep on most points. This year's Griz team will have to work very hard for each win... and must get scoring production from one or two players to compensate for the loss of Jordan Gregory's 17ppg average, and to take pressure off of Breunig. Last night we saw how quickly a game can turn on momentum, but in re-watching the first half I noticed that Montana's 11-12 point lead came from working the inside-outside game and converting on two treys in the process. But two newcomers in Wright and Oguine are being asked to run the game in Mario Dunn's absence from court. It's going to take some time. I was nonetheless impressed with Oguine's moxie last night. Riley Bradshaw also played well down the stretch. Another frosh, Bobby Moorehead shows flashes of the perimeter talent necessary to fuel the "outside" of Montana's game. The newcomers are playing hard... but all need a bit of time. The other factor -- fouls -- is still a bit of a puzzle to me. I did not see the Griz (who were hurt on several offensive blocking fouls) making twice as many fouls as the Bison. In particular, Fabijan Krslovic, who has played a lot of international hoops, is seeming (I say seeming, because I cannot see how he was any more physical than the Bison bigs last night) to be penalized for his hand (elbow, forearm, thigh) checks.

Lastly: the Bison have a good coach & players and a good system, though I'm very thankful Griz fans do not need to sit through that endless weave & dribble enter (yikes. boring.). Hats off for a good team & good game. I think this home & home series should continue! As for the smack talk Bison fans: I can recommend a few threads over on the eGriz football board where your comments (good lord) would be more appropriate and answered with detail & relish on top.

I wondered why DeCuire was experimenting to get some guys in the game (Boehning and DeJong, for example) who haven't played much. I hope he saw something in these guys. I didn't see much.

NDSU plays decent defense, but we just gave them the ball. Many unforced errors.

It was an embarrassing performance. Hopefully these young players will learn from it and grow.

AllWeatherFan said:
I wondered why DeCuire was experimenting to get some guys in the game (Boehning and DeJong, for example) who haven't played much. I hope he saw something in these guys. I didn't see much.

NDSU plays decent defense, but we just gave them the ball. Many unforced errors.

It was an embarrassing performance. Hopefully these young players will learn from it and grow.

The Big Sky Conference is a 1 team bid for the NCAA tourney. Travis knows damn well the GRIZ need more depth in the paint. He is using the out of conference schedule the best he can to develop post depth. The fact that officiating is terrible, nit picky, and takes away from the game kind of forces the need to build more post depth. For reasons beyond me, both Breunig and Krslovic are getting the short end of officiating in most match ups. I honestly don't see them doing anything different than our opposition. They are in consistent good defensive position and posting up fair and square. Why all the damn whistles on them?

Hate to say it, but officiating in the conference usually consists of whistle happy officials as well. It looks to me the GRIZ aggressiveness is much better suited to NCAA tournament officiating (letting teams actually play) than regular season officiating.

Personally, I am happy to see DeCuire making it a point to develop DeJong and Boehning. I just hope these guys reward him with gradual improvement. If not, we may see a 3rd year of a lot of small ball lineups. That necessarily is not bad, when the GRIZ have the needed guarded depth to do it. Dunn's absence from the line up and the inexperience of Wright and Oguine make for a difficult transition. The good news is, these guards are all very talented. It is a matter of time before they find their comfort level and we see improvement with them.

It looks to me the biggest factor is and will be Gfeller taking his game to an all conference level. The guy is a flat out stud long range bomber. The problem is, he has not found consistency in being an impact scorer. I watch him make scoring easy during scrimmages and an occasional game, it is frustrating he has yet to mature into being a major player yet. His team absolutely needs him to be a reliable 15 ppg scorer.

Here is to hoping this team finds the consistency it needs to live up to expectations.

Ugh. NDSU is a good team and we have some better teams in our OOC schedule, which is overall the toughest I can recall, with exception of the frontier conf games. San Fransisco, Pepperdine, UW, Gonzaga, Kansas... It's gonna be rough. That's all I have to say about that.

Griz1952. So your 63? You still act like this after every ndsu game really? ?

None of this happened , ndsu basketball fans are as tame as they come , get a grip

Thanks to everyone for doing the play-by-play. I was on the train last night and couldn't watch or listen so it was nice to get a game summary, albeit disappointing. Jordan Gregory and Breunig were a reliable pairing last year, and that's obviously sorely missing, as is Jordan's court leadership. That young man put fire into the team, esp in tight games, and that's just not out there, yet anyway, this season.

Got to the hotel, the Arctic Club, in Seattle this morning and wearing my Griz sweatshirt, and one of the desk clerks hollers out "GO GRIZ!" and as we got up to her to check in, she explained that she is getting married to Jamal Jones' older brother, and so they never miss watching a game and are big griz fans.
"Small World Department."

Back