• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Class.....Who Will Step Up?

AZGrizFan said:
All true, IG, but there's a few caveats that should be mentioned.

1) The schools that typically produce the most talent from the state are Division II Chaparral and Division III Saguaro.
2) The private schools (of which Rooks attended) are a whole different animal when comparing attendance...they basically "recruit", which other schools aren't technically allowed to do (although Saguaro and Chaparral have been accused of it many times). they also routinely play "up" in talent, because of the recruiting. Rarely are they as big attendance-wise as the other schools in their division. Yuma Catholic is no exception, so 345 isn't necessarily representative of the size of schools they're playing against.
3) Two of the best schools in the state for football talent are Division IV Lakeside and Show Low.

Great job by everybody that posted about the Arizona portion of this thread. :clap: I'd be remiss if I didn't defer to the state resident expert, AZGrizFan. :D

1) Div 11 Chaparral and Div 111 Saguaro are historically tough, no doubt. Centennial is making strides, having won the Div 11 title in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2014. And in 2015 winning the Div 1 state title.

2) You are right about the recruiting aspect of private schools. Even Billings Central and Butte Central have been accused of "recruiting". Can't blame Rooks and others for going to Yuma Catholic "Irish", he could have went to Yuma High "Criminals". I sh!t you not, that is there mascot, they are "The Proud Home of the Criminals". Check it out: http://www.yumahs.yumaunion.org/pages/Yuma_High_School

3) There are 4 large high schools in Yuma, but the small/private Yuma Catholic looks like a great one, with a student to teacher ratio of 12 to 1. http://high-schools.com/directory/az/cities/yuma/

Rooks is a great athlete, I look forward to seeing him excel at Montana.

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
All true, IG, but there's a few caveats that should be mentioned.

1) The schools that typically produce the most talent from the state are Division II Chaparral and Division III Saguaro.
2) The private schools (of which Rooks attended) are a whole different animal when comparing attendance...they basically "recruit", which other schools aren't technically allowed to do (although Saguaro and Chaparral have been accused of it many times). they also routinely play "up" in talent, because of the recruiting. Rarely are they as big attendance-wise as the other schools in their division. Yuma Catholic is no exception, so 345 isn't necessarily representative of the size of schools they're playing against.
3) Two of the best schools in the state for football talent are Division IV Lakeside and Show Low.

Great job by everybody that posted about the Arizona portion of this thread. :clap: I'd be remiss if I didn't defer to the state resident expert, AZGrizFan. :D

1) Div 11 Chaparral and Div 111 Saguaro are historically tough, no doubt. Centennial is making strides, having won the Div 11 title in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2014. And in 2015 winning the Div 1 state title.

2) You are right about the recruiting aspect of private schools. Even Billings Central and Butte Central have been accused of "recruiting". Can't blame Rooks and others for going to Yuma Catholic "Irish", he could have went to Yuma High "Criminals". I sh!t you not, that is there mascot, they are "The Proud Home of the Criminals". Check it out: http://www.yumahs.yumaunion.org/pages/Yuma_High_School

3) There are 4 large high schools in Yuma, but the small/private Yuma Catholic looks like a great one, with a student to teacher ratio of 12 to 1. http://high-schools.com/directory/az/cities/yuma/

Rooks is a great athlete, I look forward to seeing him excel at Montana.

And prior to moving to Texas a couple years ago, I lived/worked in Yuma for two years, so I'm an expert about their high school football programs as well. And yes, it IS the Yuma High Criminals, and their high school was originally in the old territorial prison (thus the mascot). They've got a pretty good JC in Yuma as well, that churns out some good I-AA level talent pretty regularly.

BWahlberg said:
Jeremy Calhoun - has already stepped up - should only improve, especially if the O-line can take a step forward.

Of the rest of the group though, guys we didn't see last year, look at the spots of opportunity:

Of the WRs, I'd say Kobey Eaton. I almost thought they weren't going to red shirt him, he had a very strong fall camp. Eaton already has the size the coaches want and good speed and hands. With this off-season hopefully he's added some muscle and familiarity in this system. Daum and Ryan need to show they're healthy, which I assume by spring they will be. Rooks needs to clean up the drops. Calhoun needs to show improvement in the design of the offense.

On the O-line I'd say Dallas Hart. Hart is the lone tackle of this o-line group and the one presumed open job is LT or RT depending on where Reese is placed. The interior O-line has seniors Todd, Dietrich, & Weyer and junior Luke... there's a log-jam there for 2016.

For safety I've got to think that both Josh Sandry and Jerrin Williams are going to be needed - ready or not. We've got Yamen Sanders and Mick Delaney and then walk-ons Epperly and Timmons. I think both safeties could get a chance to start or rotate in a bunch.

Good post, BW. I agree on Kobey Eaton, I've liked him since signing day 2015. His toughness and good speed were evident. I am glad to hear he showed up and is the real deal.

I don't think Epperly is a walk-on. Maybe I am wrong. But check this out from signing day 2014, he is listed in the "REGULAR SIGNEES", and not just "FORMALLY ACCEPTED ADMISSION TO UM" (aka walk-on). http://gogriz.com/news/2014/1/22/Signing_Day_Central_2014.aspx

He isn't tall, but the kid is a beast (hits hard and has tremendous ball skills and runs amazingly well with the ball). Class AA 1st team WR, 1st team DB, and 1st team Punt Returner...Western Conference Offensive MVP.

Epperly BIO:

He earned 11 letters in high school: four in basketball and track, and three in football...he was a first team all-state pick at wide receiver and cornerback...had 55 catches for 1,126 yards and 14 TDs, along with 51 tackles, 10 pass break-ups, and five interceptions his senior season...tabbed "AA" Western offensive MVP...football team was state runner-up in 2013...team captain in football and basketball...invited to play in Montana's East-West Shrine Game, and the Montana-Dakota All-Star Game... first team all-state in hoops and in track as a junior...all-time leader in assists and steals at Glacier High School...his football coach was former (1988-90) Griz quarterback Grady Bennett.

PERSONAL: His major is education..birth date: Aug. 6, 1995...his parents are Jim and Heather Epperly of Bigfork...his aunt, Julie Epperly, played for the Lady Griz from 1988-92.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZDoc said:
Corbin-because my son's name is Brennan

Doctor Doback?

Im-Not-Gonna-Call-Him-Dad-Even-If-Theres-a-Fire-Quote-By-Will-Ferrell-In-Step-Brothers_408x408.jpg

I think Griz Nation is going to be very pleasantly surprised when they see Evan Epperly for the first time in 2016. Kid is a play-maker. I think he should return punts too. (He's one of the fastest kids on the team, definitely the fastest safety)

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/749262/highlights/96928378

IntuitiveGriz said:
I think Griz Nation is going to be very pleasantly surprised when they see Evan Epperly for the first time in 2016. Kid is a play-maker. I think he should return punts too. (He's one of the fastest kids on the team, definitely the fastest safety)

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/749262/highlights/96928378

:thumb:

Not the fastest player but has a tough "Wes Welker" quality. Won't be playing offense, but has a cliche "nose for the football!" Should be a great safety! Hits hard! He's gonna end up being a fan favorite.

with bingham playing the big receiver inside and keeping with the theme of playing players with the best talent, how does one keep ryan off the field ? (has it all real size, and speed) ....he could play running back, safety or add a few pounds linebacker...he is a big kid with speed that had offers from pac 12 from what I understood....I know here in billings he was considered the best athlete by quite a margin to anyone....plus he is one tough son of a gun ....

Latest posts

Back