• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Gun Thread

ALPHAGRIZ1

This year I am planning on getting an upper for my AR15 to make it a .50cal Beowolf
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6uvd1GeSs[/youtube]

Also going to go after a 50cal Barrett Sniper Rifle
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pL0YYHKzY[/youtube]

Then another $25k in ammo for various calibers.

What are your gun purchases for the year?

Sig Sauer p226, .40 S&W

Sig-Sauer-E29R-40-SCPN.jpg

I picked up a more practical piece this year

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...969_02_ithaca_model_600_12ga_over_und_640.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...702_02_ithaca_model_600_20ga_over_und_640.jpg

It's a great piece for trap, pheasants and unwelcome miscreants. Not to mention it looks nice too. It's kind of like that pretty girl we knew when we were younger who would give you a Bj once in a while, but not as often as we'd like. Yeah, I don't shoot that one much. I was thinking I should get it out while I was cleaning this one tonight
acf9d6.jpg

Anybody who has one really needs to put the apex FSS trigger assembly in. Huge improvement. I know snap did and he agrees. I also put in the I-dot trijicon sights. Surprising that the sight picture is that much clearer and faster to acquire the target with the I-dot sights. I never did buy the shield. I decided it was just too small and less accurate with not enough capacity. So I'm sticking with this one as my EDC.

Something that interests me though is a new 10mm from Glock that has a 6" barrel with a slide long enough to cover it. Yea, I know lone wolf makes a drop in for the G20, but it looks retahhded.
411548508.jpg
see what I mean?Apparently that's the new release for this year. With 2" more length, it builds pressure which adds velocity and better accuracy. So the +p rounds might not be necessary for normal purposes, however, if you are using it as a bear gun or for hunting, the +p rounds in a 6" barrel would be ideal. And it'd be a legit hunting weapon. I'd probably keep my G20 just because, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these soon.

Awesome :thumb:
http://www.magpul.com/products/pmag%C2%AE-d-60-ar-m4--5-56x45?VariantID=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Awesome :thumb:
http://www.magpul.com/products/pmag%C2%AE-d-60-ar-m4--5-56x45?VariantID=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd have to play with one on the range before pulling the trigger on a $ 130.00 clip that I may not prefer. However, check out the new edition of Recoil. There's an AR look a like that shoots a full can of soda 100+ yards. Grappling hooks, nets, and a host of "other" projectiles are on the way... :egriz: "hope my grammar is o.k"

2014 was a good year for my collection 14 firearms in all plus doubling ammo and powder. so far picked up 6.5 creedmoor and put a 1873 Winchester 45lc on layaway !
If any one has any leads on a 1873 Winchester in 44-40 PM me

Does anyone here have experience with the Remington 870? I have never owned a shotgun, but the 870 was recommended to me. I'm looking for something my wife and I to get into shooting trap.

GrizMusician said:
Does anyone here have experience with the Remington 870? I have never owned a shotgun, but the 870 was recommended to me. I'm looking for something my wife and I to get into shooting trap.

Can't go wrong with a pump. If it's your first shotgun, I'd suggest a 20 ga. though. That'd make a darn fine bird gun. And you can shoot trap with it.

LongTimeCatFan said:
GrizMusician said:

Can't go wrong with a pump. If it's your first shotgun, I'd suggest a 20 ga. though. That'd make a darn fine bird gun. And you can shoot trap with it.
Agree with LTCF on his comments. At first I thought you were asking about home defense applications. I would strongly opt for the Mossberg 590 series for that purpose... :egriz:

The 870 is a great gun I have had one for ten or so years no problems. As for the mosseberg I got my son ( 9yrs old ) the 20 gauge youth model it has the stock where you can add sections great little gun also . perfect fit for my wife and son

rimrockgriz said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
GrizMusician said:

Agree with LTCF on his comments. At first I thought you were asking about home defense applications. I would strongly opt for the Mossberg 590 series for that purpose... :egriz:

If you are looking to get into trap shooting, invest the money in a nice 12 gauge over and under. We use the M870 in the military. We have it modified as an assualt weapon. These are very good weapons and withstand a lot of abuse. If money is an issue for a shotgun, the Mossberg 500 is a very reliable pump for the money, then the 870. Stay away from the 20 Gg, you don't want to handicap yourself while shooting trap.

reinell30 said:
rimrockgriz said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
GrizMusician said:

If you are looking to get into trap shooting, invest the money in a nice 12 gauge over and under. We use the M870 in the military. We have it modified as an assualt weapon. These are very good weapons and withstand a lot of abuse. If money is an issue for a shotgun, the Mossberg 500 is a very reliable pump for the money, then the 870. Stay away from the 20 Gg, you don't want to handicap yourself while shooting trap.
I've never shot trap. Do most participants use a 12 gauge ? Does anyone shoot a 10 gauge? What would you consider as solid options for an over and under? Let's say middle of the road for conversation. Thx... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
reinell30 said:
rimrockgriz said:
LongTimeCatFan said:

I've never shot trap. Do most participants use a 12 gauge ? Does anyone shoot a 10 gauge? What would you consider as solid options for an over and under? Let's say middle of the road for conversation. Thx... :egriz:

Yes, almost everybody uses a 12 ga and most use an over under for trap. The 12 ga has a larger pattern than the 20 so it's more forgiving, and the over under is faster to get on target for the second shot.

That being said, for a first time shotgun, a 20 ga is better to learn with because it doesn't pound your shoulder into hamburger which can lead to trigger flinch. And a pump can teach you better reaction to shot placement because you have to practice it with each shot.

LongTimeCatFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
reinell30 said:
rimrockgriz said:

Yes, almost everybody uses a 12 ga and most use an over under for trap. The 12 ga has a larger pattern than the 20 so it's more forgiving, and the over under is faster to get on target for the second shot.

That being said, for a first time shotgun, a 20 ga is better to learn with because it doesn't pound your shoulder into hamburger which can lead to trigger flinch. And a pump can teach you better reaction to shot placement because you have to practice it with each shot.

Like LTCF states, the 12 Ga does have more kick, however, a simple fix to that is to have an Edwards recoil reducer installed. This will eliminate most of the recoil. A 10 ga is not a good option. As far as O/U go, I use an old Charles Daly (Original) That I have been shooting for over 45 years. Turkey makes nice O/U. Winchester 101 are nice. Browning makes a lot of O/U, but are over priced IMO. Beretta and Ruger are nice options. There are many no name O/U out there as well, but I do not know anything about them.

Back