• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 NCAA Tournament

IdaGriz01 said:
We've now had are first really big upset. #8 seed Wisconsin knocked out #1 Villanova ...

...wisconsin was no #8 in reality...
...ncaa no respect for the big 10...
...wisconsin more like a 3/4 at least...
...ncaa not famous for getting it right...

... :shock: ...

Well shucks! Wichita State gave Kentucky a tussle, but could not quite pull off the upset. Not a Kentucky hater (many are :) ), but I'd have loved to see the Shockers advance.

RE: Seeding for Wisconsin ... have to agree. A 3 or 4 seed would have made more sense, and then the matchups would have been completely changed.

Fascinating makeup for the "Sweet-16."

Of the "lesser" conferences, only the West Coast has a team in the "Sweet 16" -- Gonzaga.

The Big East, Big Ten and Big 12 had (in order) 7, 7 and 6 team get bids. Survivors: 2, 3 and 3.

The Pac-12 and SEC had 4 and 5 bids, respectively. Survivors: 3 and 3, each.

That's 15 survivors. The ACC got 9 bids. Only North Carolina is left. Hmmm ...

Of course, UNC could still win it all, but it makes you think.

fanofzoo said:
My whole East bracket is done ---thanks Duke.

They ruin my bracket every year. The years I pick them to make a deep run, they choke. The years I don't pick them to go far, they go far. They are the most unpredictable program in the nation for me.

fanofzoo said:
EverettGriz said:
Largely a yawner tournament so far.
You're right there for win's and losses but the athletic talent on display by some people is mind blowing.
It’s true that, by and large, getting down to the “Sweet-16” was not blessed with an over-abundance of terrific games. Still, there were some pretty good ones, with Xavier crashing the party as a #11 seed.

But getting down to the “Elite-8” largely made up for that. Admittedly, two games were blow-outs (Kansas over Purdue, +32, and South Carolina over Baylor, +20).

North Carolina handled Butler fairly well, but the Bulldogs made a couple of runs to cut onto the lead. And winning by 11 at the end is not exactly a blow-out.

Same with Kentucky over UCLA, which ended at +12 but was a tussle well into the second half. Then fouls began to pile up on specific Bruins. Refs only called two more fouls on UCLA, 19 vs 17, but three guys had 13 of them and one fouled out. No one Wildcat had more than 3 fouls called on him.

But the great news was that the other half of the games were decided by 3 points or less (two by just 1 point). Any one of those games could have gone either way, with a missed or made shot, a turnover, or almost anything. One of the best games of the tournament, IMO, was the OT buzzer-beater that lifted Florida over Wisconsin. Xavier continued to make trouble, with its 2-point win over Arizona. (That’s one A could have won, but X just seemed to want it more.)

Other observations: The implosion of the ACC, going from nine teams in down to just one. With the Wisconsin loss, the Big Ten went from looking pretty strong to … gone. The SEC, which the “experts” though was weak this year, has three teams in the Elite-8.

Today: Xavier’s bubble got burst big-time, with Gonzaga turning it on, 83-59 (and it really wasn't that close).

Back